Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78059 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »

So let's see how many things I did totally wrong.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428968

PPE: STOP IT NINJAS GEEZ
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:25 pm »

Ok, I'll probably get on it tomorrow.

EDIT: SO MANY NINJAS!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »

I remember a suggestion about taking Two-Handed fighting as a feat (for my bard). Am I going to be wielding two weapons, or do I need one hand for my instrument and one for a weapon?
I am not familiar with the two-handed fighting feat though I don't have the Player's Handbook II or Dungeon master's guide II which may explain that. As for what you need to do? well, that depends upon the items involved. There are several things that are generally just hand-waved in most campaigns that I have been in, notably: Everyone always has their weapons readied. Yes, you may have been walking for days through featureless swamps, falling over every second step, but if combat starts nobody will be sayings "I spend a move action to draw my sword"... This also applies to spell component pouches(which most people just ignore anyway), holy symbols, shields, musical instruments, basically everyone always seems to start combat in a fully combat-ready state unless the D.M. explicitly says otherwise. Of course, this is something that will change from D.M. to D.M. so it is quite possible that one of our volunteers will be quite strict with equipment management...
 Two-handed weapons are generally for folk with high strength scores and the Power Attack feat. If you don't have those than you will probably(there are always exceptions) not be wielding a two-handed weapon. Perform requirements will likely vary from D.M. to D.M. but consider the implications of your performance skill. Singing is popular, no instrument to get stolen, no hands required, but you also can't get a master-work or magical instrument to work with it... Dancing is, odd. From a mechanics standpoint it doesn't really have any practical downsides but I would probably rule that movement is impeded while dancing and that to be inspired by visual media requires more awareness than auditory media, so if you were distracted, say be fighting a wee beasty, that you would need to make some sort of spot check or something to be inspired... Tap-dancing is the obvious bypass to that, it would probably be similarly hammered into shape by a D.M.'s malice... Having an actual instrument though would probably be the classical approach. Most D.M.s that I have encountered will let you hold a two-handed weapon in one hand with no costs other than not actually being able to use it while you are doing so.

P.S.
 I am somewhat interested in playing more D&D... If I were to D.M. I would start with the S.R.D. being the only allowed source.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »

@TherosPherae - That gnome reminds me of one of my first characters, Edanol Kronjoc, the gnome Paladin. Also had 6 strength, but unluckier than any other character I've ever made. He made it through two sessions before becoming Deadanol, the gnome Butler. (Courtesy of the party Dread Necromancer who he got into a spat with. Guess who won that?  :P))

Otherwise, it looks fine. (Though you should check the Goods and Services page on the d20SRD for prices on your items, and the Weapons and Armor pages for the rest of your equipment. At first glance, it looks like you have a little more of that 200gp left over to spend, though I could be wrong.

Your rations lead me to another point, which will be up to the other DMs: will you be tracking food and water? It makes things a bit more complicated and slows the party down a bit, but helps with realism.

@Ninja RAM - I knew you'd be around! Somehow you've been in every single D&D game I have participated in outside of meatspace. You're welcome to play, though I'd rather keep this particular project to two games at a time, if I'm to be helping everyone get going. With your experience, it'd be a great boon to have someone else helping out the new players. (Without also being in charge of helping the DMs with their encounters and whatnot.  :P)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

@Ninja Sirus - Ohoho! They knew you wanted to play a rapier-wielding fop!
Quote from: SRD
A bard is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip.
Go for it!
Oh, sweet! I forgot all about that :P

Hmm, whips eh? I might pick one up for...reasons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »

Otherwise, it looks fine. (Though you should check the Goods and Services page on the d20SRD for prices on your items, and the Weapons and Armor pages for the rest of your equipment. At first glance, it looks like you have a little more of that 200gp left over to spend, though I could be wrong.

Your rations lead me to another point, which will be up to the other DMs: will you be tracking food and water? It makes things a bit more complicated and slows the party down a bit, but helps with realism.
Yeah, I think I've still got a solid hundred-or-so GP left to spend. I just don't really have anything to spend it on, since almost anything I can buy will add more weight, which I don't particularly want right now since I've got such a low carrying capacity...

...perhaps I'll just buy like a hundred flint-and-steels, since those are technically weightless. :P

As for the rations, I got those mostly to make sure I wasn't going to starve in case food tracking was implemented. But that's a decision for the other DMs to make - I'll get rid of the rations if they choose not to go with it.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »

Hmm. At first, I don't believe I'd be trying to keep track of food. Once I get the hang of it, I probably would. Assuming one ration is one day's food, this could end up being a good place for all that gold people would be stealing from innocent monsters. :P

And should I post the setting notes here? So far all I have done up is a very detail light explanation of geography, vague tech level, an explanation of the major factions capitals, and how there isn't a Tarrasque. And a crudely drawn map.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34:03 pm »

I will be tracking food and water, as well as ammo. Also, I wouldn't get in the habit of dropping you bow to the ground.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:52 pm »

Campaign notes could help people come up with character concepts, and it's always interesting to read about. (Just general stuff, though. Gotta leave some secrets to discover!)

EDIT: Most campaigns track ammo, and there's no reason not to, considering how significant it is. One ration is indeed 'enough food for one day' as Hanslanda says. I personally think it'd be a good idea to track food and water unless it later proves too cumbersome.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:41:33 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »

Knowing that, checking that d20srd site doesn't explain how much food/waterskins weigh, nor how long they last or how much is needed per day. Also, I cannot locate instruments on Pathguy's builder. How much do those generally run?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »

According to this page on the SRD, waterskins are 1gp and 4 pounds, and can be refilled. One waterskin lasts one day, outside of a desert. (Sandstorm says that you consume twice or thrice as much water in extremely dry environments.) A day of trail rations appears to cost 5 silver and weighs one pound. It lists 'common instruments' as costing 5gp and weighing 3 pounds.

EDIT: That's an important page to keep track of, for DMs and PCs. It lists a lot of useful common items as well as standard inn prices and the like.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:46:57 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

I'm making a female sorcerer with 17 charisma. I have no idea what skills to get so I just got concentration and a bunch of charisma skill that sound like they'll help me cheat people out of their money :P
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »

But waterskins can be refilled, right? Provided of course a source of clean water (say, a stream) is available.

Ninja: But Realm, that's my job! To earn money with my skill at guitar lute! :P

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2012, 10:52:17 pm »

We can get double the money if I persuade them you're actually good!

Looks like you're going to have to work burn salves into the budget.

(Can you use bluff on shop keepers to get better deals?)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

But waterskins can be refilled, right? Provided of course a source of clean water (say, a stream) is available.
Or, say, a cleric who feels like nuking one of their zero-level spells of the day on Create Water.

Also, the d20SRD doesn't list capacity for backpacks and such as far as I can find.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74