Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, I had this idea about aquariums...  (Read 999 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I had this idea about aquariums...
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:01:32 am »

I'm just sitting here, outlasting a goblin siege when I had a crazy thought. So, this being Dwarf Fortress, I acted on it.

I built a glass cage that was already holding a goblin prisoner. Then, I switched it to aquarium mode. My dorfs dutifully filled it up, (I imagine them laughing at the distressed cries of the gobbo) and then I watched for a while to see if the goblin would drown. As it turns out, he doesn't. The aquarium lists it's contents as:

Zom Uksosaxusp, Goblin Bowman
water
water [9]

So the goblin must have gills or something.

Is this a known bug feature? Because there doesn't seem to be anything about this on the wiki.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: So, I had this idea about aquariums...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

A cage will protect a creature inside it from drowning

Not sure if this is supposed to get changed in the future. Presumably the goblin can stick his nose out the top to breathe? Who knows.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:36 am »

congratulations , i think you just discovered a bug .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:10:21 am »

I knew cages protected their contents from water outside the cage, I didn't expect that protection to extend inward. Now I'm tempted to submerge the whole thing, just for kicks.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:16:40 am »

i guess if a creature is in a cage , it is out of the world and is not affected by anything .
more SCIENCE must be done.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:09 am »

But there is no science that can be done, we know all we can know about cages so far

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:04:08 am »

...see if a cage with a live fish in protects said fish from air-drowning?

(edit: I've not tried to 'unfill' a previously water-filled aquarium, so, not sure how/if the water would be extracted, even after the switch back to 'normal' glass-cage use.  Does the water respond to being set to be dumped?  If that's not possible, is it possible to assign an aquatic animal to a 'dry' cage, or an switched-to-aquarium-mode one that you've managed to prevent being filled?)

(double-edit, this time in response to the following post: Here, you see, I'm showing my ignorance.  I've just not done much marine-life caging at all.  So if all this is a known thing, maybe I can be ignored.  Probably for the best, anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:10:34 am by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:05:46 am »

...see if a cage with a live fish in protects said fish from air-drowning?
Sea.

Serpents.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:36 am »

But there is no science that can be done, we know all we can know about cages so far
Even that we can atomsmash creatures too large to smash by putting them in a cage :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:43 am »

if a cage is made out of magma safe material , will the creature inside die if its submerged in lava ?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:49 am »