Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cloth shoes are serious business  (Read 14480 times)

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth shoes are serious business
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

How predictable is the end point after the bridges fire? If you could have a system of bridges continually launch goblinite at one another (it would lag you heavily and) you could end up with a  weapon on the level of a large-scale particle shield. It could also be added to a defensive hallway to decrease material loss, also allowing for retrieval systems.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »

1. Does the object in question matter?  IE, would a boulder do more damage than a sock? 
2. Or would an edged weapon do slashing damage?
3. Does the distance it drops matter?  Would something be more effective falling from 10 z levels than just 1?
4. Just have to do some more science to see if a stack will be launched/dropped as a stack or as individual bolts
5. If not, then need to find a way to split the stacks into individual bolts

1. Yes, for items that don't have a defined attack in the raws, they strike as blunt objects with damage apparently in proportion to their weight, at least in the hands of a "misc object user". Falling objects are broken somehow.

2. Edged weapons can land using their edged attacks, however the combat text for dropped objects always states "the x strikes the y", so it might be hard to notice.

3. Unknown to me, someone else might know, or it could be tested.

4. Stacks don't split, so it strikes as a single bolt. Tested a lot in the minecart thread.

5. Trade depot method, archery range trench method, goblin-door-shutter method, etc.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

I had an idea in a previous version to make the fortress Anvilania -- the entryway would have lever-linked hatches holding up large piles of anvils, which would then get dropped on invaders heads, Looney Toons-style. 

I abandoned the idea, since falling objects didn't used to cause any damage.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

This is amazing and I now want to make this my primary defense system. Oh, the fun we'll have with clay and glass!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 05:05:40 pm »

you could make your roof out of floor grates and place corpse stockpile on the roof , when goblins are in drop the troll , elf and goblin corpses on them ! (you could use dirty socks , weapons , burning coal , stone or your military  )
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:10:19 pm by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

Well, From a collegue of mines research, There are several things to dropping things on other things. Mainly, dropping something is ridiculously OP right now, BUT if you land on a creature, you're perfectly fine. I suppose someone could design a system where you drop wrestlers and junk on incoming migrants invaders .
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »

I noticed that when I made my most recent prisoner euthanasia system.  Was just a pit with a 15z drop onto some upright spikes.  Miraculously, some of the gobbos survived and any subsequent gobbos to land on top of them were completely unharmed.  They stayed fine until I dumped socks on them... >.<
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:12 am »

Bridge-launched projectiles........Sounds like a pseudo-ballista, but obviously works better than a real ballista and you don't need a seige operator anymore, just a lever puller.

Weaponising the potential and kinetic energy stored in objects in the off-kilter physics of DF-reality....
First Law of Gravity: What goes up; goes up.  What comes down; is lethal.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:34 am »

you could make your roof out of floor grates and place corpse stockpile on the roof , when goblins are in drop the troll , elf and goblin corpses on them ! (you could use dirty socks , weapons , burning coal , stone or your military  )
He he, I was thinking about making murder holes that dropped zombies on invaders for a moment, but the idea was scrapped because it would've taken too much reconstruction. Now I know all I need to do is replace zombies with cloth bins :P

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:45 am »

@Loud Whispers.  Why not use single coins?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 07:03:50 am »

coins don't do any damage , but if you station your military or war animals there , it will be a surprise attack ! i guess burning coal would be a lot more fun . wild animals don't fight invaders , but a titan or FB would be fine for the surprise attack .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:51 am »

@Loud Whispers.  Why not use single coins?
Those were all melted down and the caravans aren't coming back, so I can't split any more sadly :/

wild animals don't fight invaders
Invaders certainly fight them, and wild animals fight back if cornered. Or dropped on the enemy >:)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:15 am »

I picturing caged unicorns that are dropped on/behind the invaders as floodgates or bridges seal off the area ... all when a pressure plate is triggered by the invading troops.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:55 am »

I picturing caged unicorns that are dropped on/behind the invaders as floodgates or bridges seal off the area ... all when a pressure plate is triggered by the invading troops.
I did that once... With rhinos. Fun times, fun times.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:57 pm »

I just had an idea while reading another thread... this new mechanic could make catapults somewhat useful.  Just have a whole row of catapults firing at a wall build over a channel that enemies are funneled through, and all of a sudden they have boulders raining down on them crushing their skulls.  Kinda funny because when they're actually shot AT goblins, they usually glace off of copper breastplates... figure 5 catapults with rock quantum-stockpiled at their base with legendary operators could get 20 or so stones in the air at once... all falling into a 1xN channel from above.

Now if only catapults could shoot kittens...
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4