Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cloth shoes are serious business  (Read 14479 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Cloth shoes are serious business
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 12:52:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's nothing - there's been at least one documented incident of a dwarf being killed by a falling sock.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:25:13 pm »

Good ol' Dwarf Fortress, capable of weaponizing EVERYTHING, even air.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

This thread is so full of win that I may spontaneously combust.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 04:55:00 pm »

Someone should do a challenge in community games where your only method of combat can be this(and possibly wrestlers? But don't train them of course). The catch? No sealing off your fort. You better have enough heavy stuff ready to dump over the invaders heads from the sky. In addition, if you see anyone attempt to manually damage an enemy with their body, you can decide their fate. Just in case, how long is the average dorf's view range, so that we know how high to build the floors. Due to this... feature, stone mugs actually might be useful for something other than shoving at traders... and possibly even more useful than before at doing so.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:57:27 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »

Just in case, how long is the average dorf's view range, so that we know how high to build the floors. Due to this... feature, stone mugs actually might be useful for something other than shoving at traders... and possibly even more useful than before at doing so.
Why have the useless crap be hauled by Dwarves? Hatches and levers would make great murder holes.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

Dwarves like their clothes heavily starched.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »

Dwarves like their clothes heavily starched.
God, no kidding.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »

Hatches and levers? No, the only proper way is a bridge designated for dump. One lever pull would coat your entire entrance in useless crap. Could also be a fun way to dispatch traders.

"Hello, stupid dwarf. Trade with us!"

"You like wood right?"

"Er, yes, why?"

Urist McLeverhappy pulls a lever and the elven caravan is decimated by falling +wood rings+

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 07:26:38 pm »

Now, I'm tempted to throw in some large, serrated glass disks I got laying around. Betcha' one of them can cut a gobbo clean in half.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »

I got an idea. Pressure plates linked to hatches 6-z levels above, with items on the hatches. Would be epic.l
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »

Don't you mean you might !!spontaneously!! ?  :D

Has anyone posted the results of creating a pressure plate drop trap that removes a retracting bridge so a bunch of useless crap gets dropped on invaders loony-toons style?  I remember the discussion when falling damage was first introduced those few months ago.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »

Don't you mean you might !!spontaneously!! ?  :D

Has anyone posted the results of creating a pressure plate drop trap that removes a retracting bridge so a bunch of useless crap gets dropped on invaders loony-toons style?  I remember the discussion when falling damage was first introduced those few months ago.

This and Drawbridge Defense are my next two goals, but I'm going to add Fortress Defense so I have someone to kill. Goblins aren't near numerous enough for me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 08:50:43 pm »

Now, I'm tempted to throw in some large, serrated glass disks I got laying around. Betcha' one of them can cut a gobbo clean in half.

Arena test:
The steel great axe strikes Goblin 3 in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Goblin 3 slams into an obstacle!
Goblin 3 has been killed by a flying object.
Yup, bisection can probably happen as well.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 09:26:14 pm »

Got two questions:

Does the object in question matter?  IE, would a boulder do more damage than a sock?  Or would an edged weapon do slashing damage?  Etc.

Does the distance it drops matter?  Would something be more effective falling from 10 z levels than just 1?

I had an identical situation to the OP (posted in the Biggest Facepalms thread), triggered the DAS in the down position with 1,000+ trash items on it and caused the dwarf pulling the lever to cease to be, as well as killing and injuring several war lions many blocks away.  The items launched (at least the weapons) acted like they would if they'd bee swung at the unlucky target by a creature or weapon trap.  Dunno if the way they behave when launched (DAS fail/win or Dwarven Auto Shotgun which needs a different acronym), or if just falling works separately.  I'll do some science in the morning.  In the meantime, it seems like bolts/arrows would be an excellent choice for this if that's the case.  Can be made in large stacks quickly with minimal resources and do piercing damage that can insta-kill through armor with a little luck.  Also come in large quantities from goblin claus.  Just have to do some more science to see if a stack will be launched/dropped as a stack or as individual bolts.  From my one experience with the DAS mishap it seems like they shoot off individually because I ended up with a couple dozen broken arrows all over the ground after I cleaned it all up and only had a couple stacks in the pile.  Would be nice, just drop a stack of silver bolts on each section of the bridge then each square beneath gets pelted by 25 bolts at once.  If not, then need to find a way to split the stacks into individual bolts.  Would also be really useful for auto shotguns.  Only problem I can see is that a portion would break, unlike socks or boulders, but would still be good for delivering a massive volume of fire at low cost. 

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness word vomit.  Can't wait to test this though... would love to see a couple thousand bolts shooting out at once and making a whole goblin siege look like Leonidas at the end of 300.  The thousand Mountainhomes of the Dwarven Empire arise beneath you!  Our bolts will blot out the sun!
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Ziga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »

Combat log from arena mode, 100 pig tail fiber shoes dropped on a dwarf from 2z above:
Spoiler: hidden for length (click to show/hide)

The dwarf didn't die, but is effectively disabled for life.

I think falling object damage is a wee bit unbalanced.

i think...you might just be right about that...and i'm lovein it! terrified
What catastrophic changes in elf society changed their tile from E to e?
Goblin snatchers stole their Shift-key.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4