Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to embark with more dwarfs in DF2012?  (Read 3456 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to embark with more dwarfs in DF2012?
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:28:06 pm »

Can anyone help me start off with more dwarfs?

I've found a number of posts what have exe files in them I'm guessing they don't work with the new version since the ones I've tried are giving me an index file error at launch.

I tried using these steps to do my own hack but it didn't work. It could be that the instructions don't apply to the new version or that I have no idea how to use hexedit.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78311.msg2019634#msg2019634

When asked to search for the same value a 2nd time my version isn't finding anything. Changing 07 to 1E should give me 30 dwarfs but I only have 7 at launch using the new exe file.

Has anyone figured this out yet?
Thanks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How to embark with more dwarfs in DF2012?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:10 am »

Try asking in the DFHack thread.

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:21 am »

Assuming that: you're using Windows, you've got Notepad++, and you know how to edit text.

- Download DFHack and install it if you haven't already. Start DF to see if it works (DFHack's console window should automatically appear when you run Dwarf Fortress.exe). Quit DF.
- The latest version of DFHack has an outdated version of DFusion that doesn't work out the box, but can with a slight alteration to one of the .lua files. From your DF root folder, open the dfusion folder and open the file common.lua using Notepad++
- Find this line: local pos=string.find(v.name,".text") or string.find(v.name,"libs/Dwarf_Fortress") (it's line 39)
- Replace .text with Dwarf Fortress.exe, the whole line should now read: local pos=string.find(v.name,"Dwarf Fortress.exe") or string.find(v.name,"libs/Dwarf_Fortress")
- Save changes.
- Open DF, select the world you wish to embark on, swap to DFHack's console and type dfusion, hit enter.
- Type 1, hit enter.
- Type 30, hit enter.
- Embark (now with a starting population of 30).

If you need any help, I can clarify on any of these points, just ask.

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:44:43 am by SpecialCookies »
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:54 am »

Oh, and you may want to use advanced worldgen to turn up starting points.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

Massive thanks SpecialCookies!!!! You Rock!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »

@specialcookies: I am impressed. And I do have a question. Is there any chance that this could be automated, a read-out from a file? Will the amount be saved in between games, or would a player always have to do this himself before he embarks ? (similar to the embark-everywhere)

I would love to have this as a setting that people can select before running df, same goes for the embark-everywhere. A script that runs these automatically as soon as DF starts would be awesome, reading the amount wanted from an external file.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

doomxorz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:24:52 pm »

Is there a way to similarly turn up points to spend, now that you have 30 dwarves to spend them on?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »

Is there a way to similarly turn up points to spend, now that you have 30 dwarves to spend them on?

I believe that can be altered in advanced world gen.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

doomxorz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:35:10 pm »

oh okay, thanks