Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saving your eggs for trade  (Read 3113 times)

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saving your eggs for trade
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:22:45 pm »

Is there a way to prevent your cooks from using eggs for their meals?  I've noticed that eggs can be a profitable trade item.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saving your eggs for trade
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »

Shouldn't there be an option in the 'Z' menu -> Kitchen to disable eggs from cooking?

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »

Forget about eggs, go with Spiked [METAL/WOODEN] Ball. But metalgear is right, [z] go to [Kitchen] and toggle the [c]ook option on your eggs. While youre there might want to toggle [c]ooking on your alcohol supply.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:36 pm »

Why not cook them and sell the packed meal?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:20:28 pm »

Eggs are worth more cooked, especially into high quality lavish meals.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:50:29 am »

Can you sell prepared meals?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:57 am »

You can buy out caravans with a few prepared meals
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:10:59 pm »

Cave crocodile egg omelets are where its at.

You can get a roast with 250+ servings in it, and its worth about 50k dorfbucks.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »

They're a pain to find in the trade list, since they only show up under All.  But you can search for Biscuit (if you prepared simple meals) or Roast (if you prepared lavish meals).  I tend to sell off the small stacks and set up food stockpiles that support only prepared meals (disallow all then "u" on the food menu to enable prepared meals which shows up at the bottom) and no barrels for that stockpile.  Selling off the small stacks keeps the stockpile a bit more efficient.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

You can also type in Prep to find Prepared Food Barrels.

I don't recommend storing meals in barrels though as the stock screen only allows you to trade the entire barrel and not its contents. Leaving them out of barrels allows you to sell partial stacks of prepared meals and gives you a finer control over the profit margin for the caravan.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »

There's also the fact that a barrel can only hold 30 prepared meals (60 for a large pot), and if you're using large stacks of ingredients it's not going to fit anyways.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:28:46 pm »

eggs are the best food product because they don't rot while uncooked , i usually store eggs for later use and i have 3 legendary stone crafters making crafts nonstop , i always get more than 25k dorfbucks from the crafts .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:21:32 pm »

Just type in "roast" in the depot trade screen. All of your ginormous roasts are too big to fit in a barrel, and will just be sitting around in the stockpile, so they will show up as a roast.

If you combine "roast" and "prepared" that will allow you to select all meals in the entire fortress.

Generally only the big roasts too big to fit in barrels and pots are worthy of trading. The smaller roasts with only 4-5 servings aren't worth that much. I let the dwarves eat those.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

Dwarves will consolidate different roasts into stone pots until they hit the (60) per pot limit.  I've had pots with 5 or 6 different roasts, of different qualities, with different ingredients, in a single pot.  Even with "no mix" turned on.

Makes it easier to haul the food to the depot as it requires fewer trips to move (1) pot with 3-6 different roasts inside then to move 3-6 individual roasts piles.

And now I want to double-check that barrels are indeed still only holding (30) roasts.  I know for sure that the rock pots hold (60) and 99% of all my food containers are rock pots.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:40 pm »

They're a pain to find in the trade list, since they only show up under All.  But you can search for Biscuit (if you prepared simple meals) or Roast (if you prepared lavish meals).  I tend to sell off the small stacks and set up food stockpiles that support only prepared meals (disallow all then "u" on the food menu to enable prepared meals which shows up at the bottom) and no barrels for that stockpile.  Selling off the small stacks keeps the stockpile a bit more efficient.

Doing All, then sorting by value usually puts mine at the front of the list.  I once had a stack of Dwarven Syrup roasts that were valued over 10k.
Pages: [1] 2