Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144884 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (32267 BC)
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:04 am »

It doesn't help that they didn't even try to write the quote correctly.  God that's irksome.

But yeah, if religions have different effects, I would be very very curious to what they are.

We are lucky the quote survived WW3, so give them a break.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:25 am »

It doesn't help that they didn't even try to write the quote correctly.  God that's irksome.

But yeah, if religions have different effects, I would be very very curious to what they are.

We are lucky the quote survived WW3, so give them a break.

AHHH I CAN'T STOP REPEATING MYSELF! I'VE BEEN CURSED BY CHRIS!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:44:43 am by Neonivek »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2012, 10:50:05 am »

Eh, I guess I'll try to give very brief summaries:

Andeanism: Religon of the Incas. Increases science and commerce.
Asatru: Religion of the Vikings. Bonus to melee units and reduces war-weariness. Has neat wonders and a neat but limited unit.
Bahá'í: Some oddball religion from Persia. Increases culture. Rather weak.
Buddhism: Vanilla Civ4 religion. Increases culture. Way better than Bahá'í.
Christianity: About some guy named Chris. Increases happiness. Already taken, probably by Isabella.
Confucianism: Increases science.
Druidic Traditions: Increase health and gives bonuses to pre-gunpowder units. Extra benefits from various crops.
Hellenism: Increases culture.
Hinduism: Increases culture.
Islam: Increases happiness. Better wonders than Christianity.
Jainism: Similar to Hinduism. Very undeveloped and bland.
Judaism: Normal buildings weaker than christian ones, but wonders are better.
Kemetism: Religion of ancient Egypt. Increases culture. Has two neat units, but you can only build one of each at a time.
Mesopotamism: Religion of ancient Mesopotamia. Bonuses to pre-gunpowder units. Wonders are freaking awesome.
Mormonism: Buildings remove access to Tobacco, Coffe, Tea and Grapes. Not very impressive.
Naghualism: Religion of the Aztecs, Mayans and other such people. Average buildings, very good wonders, especially when running slavery.
Ngaiism: Religion centered around cows. Gives bonuses to pre-gunpowder units and extra benefits from livestock.
Scientology: Increases commerce by a lot.
Shamanism: Like druidism, but with animals instead of plants.
Shinto: Increases military unit production and reduces war weariness.
Sikhism: Branch of Hinduism. Increases unit experience, but is very undeveloped.
Taoism: Increases culture.
Tengriism: Religion of the mongols. Gives bonuses to mounted units.
Voodoo: Bonuses to commerce and production. Gets "zombies", ie Entranced Workers.
Yoruba: Religion of the Yoruba people. Increases culture.
Zoroastrianism: Religion of ancient Persia. Increases happiness; wonders are pretty swell.

Note that all religions increase culture and happiness, so the ones that I note as doing that do so more than others. And this list is not very accurate, anyway. I haven't played with most of these religions so I can't attest to their effectiveness.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:37 am »

I get the feeling the Mormonism and Scientology ones were just to fuck with people, because they sound like pretty stupid choices.  Are they like way up the tech tree, so you can only get them in the modern era?

Then again, the Viking one is all about kicking ass and taking names, when actual Nordic religion was mostly about crops and governance, just like every other early-world pantheon.  Except for the whole Valhalla thing, so whatever.

I wonder, if they get around to improving the future stuff, whether they'll throw in some future religions, like computer worshipers or New Age-y mysticism.

So I guess everybody wants Voodoo and that does sound kinda cool, improved Workers aren't a bad thing.  I'd go for Druidic or Naghualism depending on how soon we'll be able to expand, but a zombie is fine too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 11:04:36 am »

I get the feeling the Mormonism and Scientology ones were just to fuck with people

I have to agree. While I don't like either of those religions (for different reasons), this is Civilisation. I'd expect Satanism to be a legit strategic religion in the game if it was an option.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2012, 11:07:22 am »

I'm in favor of any religion with cool wonders.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2012, 11:12:42 am »

I get the feeling the Mormonism and Scientology ones were just to fuck with people

I have to agree. While I don't like either of those religions (for different reasons), this is Civilisation. I'd expect Satanism to be a legit strategic religion in the game if it was an option.

It would have to be somewhere up the tech tree after Christianity to make any sense.  And let's be honest, everybody would go for Satanism, no matter how crappy its effects were.

And now I'm kinda wondering why Satanism isn't in this mod.  Sure it was never a "respected" religion, but I bet you there have been more Satan worshipers in history than Mormons or Scientologists.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2012, 11:18:28 am »

Normally, Scientology and Mormonism are way up in the tech tree, yeah, but most of the actual buildings all have the same prerequisites. The temple-equivalents require priesthood, the monastery-equivalents require meditation, the cathedral-equivalents require music. Except for the older religions like Shamanism and Kemetism, those can build their buildings and wonders sooner. Wonders all have their individual requirements. The Asatru ones get unlocked by the same tech that founds the religion normally, for example.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

Well as we are stuck on an island we should go with something that will help us get off it sooner, maybe the tech boost ones. Of course it depends how long it is until we get the religion and how much further it is until we have boats.

Or is that way too much like forward thinking for a Bay12 LP? In which case the Aztec one is the most blood for the blood god like, also slaves.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:35 am »

Well as we are stuck on an island we should go with something that will help us get off it sooner, maybe the tech boost ones. Of course it depends how long it is until we get the religion and how much further it is until we have boats.

Or is that way too much like forward thinking for a Bay12 LP? In which case the Aztec one is the most blood for the blood god like, also slaves.

It won't matter until we can build more cities.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:10 pm »

Do not embrace Chris. I didn't get the Aztecs, but by Sol I plan to get their religion. Embrace Naghualism as soon as possible. Destroy the Neanderthal menace. Don't they know Mayanpanponpenpu belongs to Cro-Magnon?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Such a Nagual is believed to use his powers for good or evil according to his personality. Specific beliefs vary, but the general concept of nagualism is pan-Mesoamerican. Nagualism is linked with pre-Columbian shamanistic practices through Preclassic Olmec depictions which are interpreted as humans transforming themselves into animals. The system is linked with the Mesomerican calendrical system, used for divination rituals. The birth date often determines if a person will be a Nagual. Mesoamerican belief in tonalism, wherein all humans have an animal counterpart to which their life force is linked, is also part of the definition of nagualism. In English the word is often translated as "transforming witch", but translations without the negative connotations of the word witch would be "transforming trickster" or "shape shifter".

For an isolated mushroom-eating people on a tropical volcanic island full of vipers, eagles, and invisible Neanderthal tribes, this sounds like a winner to me.  Let's do it!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

I like how Charlie reduces hygene by being a stinky Frenchman and not bathing.   :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »

I like how Charlie reduces hygene by being a stinky Frenchman and not bathing.   :P

Which is odd given that historically NO ONE bathed  (sorta). It was just a hold-over in france for a while.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:22 pm »

Which is odd given that historically NO ONE bathed  (sorta). It was just a hold-over in france for a while.
Actually, a lot of people bathed throughout history. For example, the Aztecs, Aqizzar.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43