Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144891 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (27567 BC)
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:52 am »

Holy crap, now did we just domesticate eagles?  That's the awesomest thing ever.

We're not really a religious people yet, we're much more animist and living-in-the-moment, so Song of the Sky makes sense anyway.  Then we start covering our island in giant pictures, to beg the sky spirits for an answer to why we're stuck on this rock and a way to get off.

Y'know, these updates have me wondering about something.  It's 27567 BCE.  We've been at this civilization business for more than twelve thousand years, a good half-over-again the length of modern recorded history.  And in that time we've learned how to communicate abstractly, tie stuff to other stuff, not be afraid of fire, and yell in harmony.  I'd ask why Civilization burns through so much time in the primitive age, but this is actually a pretty close reflection of real human history.  Which really makes you wonder what the heck Primitive Man was doing for dozens of thousands of years.  It took a geological eon from the appearance of the frontal cortex until sedentary living, then like ten thousand years tops from sedentary living to space flight.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:45 am »

Well, it's all because of the exponential growth of knowledge. The more we know, the more we can come to know, not to mention the more we want to know what we cannot. Someone from 1800 and someone from 1900 would be amazed at one another, but still be able to relate much better than someone from 1900 and someone from 2000.

The issue is that we don't know much of anything right about now, so the learning potential is low. Also, we aren't modern humans yet and won't be for about 12,500 years, so we're operating at diminished mental capacity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:02 am »

Then we start covering our island in giant pictures, to beg the sky spirits for an answer to why we're stuck on this rock and a way to get off.
This a preposterous notion! The Mayapanponpenpu is all there is, was and will be. There is nothing more beyond the Sea of Twelvebays. The Sky Spirit told me so.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:23 am »

But where do the sky spirits live? If we can attract them down to us, maybe they will take us up there to show us...
This is a blank sig.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:15 am »

Fool! They live on top of Mount Armok, where else?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:53 am »

This a preposterous notion! The Mayapanponpenpu is all there is, was and will be. There is nothing more beyond the Sea of Twelvebays. The Sky Spirit told me so.

How you can you claim such a heresy when the sky spirits themselves show us it is otherwise. You only have to pilgrimage to the great Mount Armok to see other land beyond the Sea of twelve bays. In fact the home of the great sky spirits rose in a direct line towards the new world, they must be telling us to go there.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2012, 09:55:30 am »

Holy crap, now did we just domesticate eagles?  That's the awesomest thing ever.
Actually domesticating them actually comes later. We just knocked him out and captured him without killing him. Unless it's a her, I guess.

Also, if we manage to find and capture a bear sometime, we can have bear cavalry. Just so you know.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2012, 09:56:51 am »

Also, if we manage to find and capture a bear sometime, we can have bear cavalry. Just so you know.
This is now your Number One Priority. If it comes down to winning the game or getting bear cavalry and losing, I expect us to go out in Ursine glory.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:58 am »

Then we start covering our island in giant pictures, to beg the sky spirits for an answer to why we're stuck on this rock and a way to get off.

Dude, you walk to the farthest tip of Mayanpanpenponpu (get it right) where the Great Light goes at night and you can freakin' see other lands across the worldsea!  All we have to do is get over there, and we'll be masters of two worlds!

Hey Boksi, when you capture an animal, are they just like a point you can use, or do you get an actual unit?  If it's a unit, maybe we should have that eagle we psychically dominated take a quick looksie across the straights there.

Madness!  We already have vipers, I say we start there.  How big do vipers grow, anyway?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2012, 10:00:04 am »

How could having bear cavalry be considered any part of losing?

"Sir, the Russians have overrun our captal! What are your orders sir.... sir?"

"I AM RIDING A BEAR! BLLLLEEEGGGRRREEAAARRGHHH!"
This is a blank sig.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:06 am »

"Sir, the Zulus are at the gate!"

"Dispatch the URSINERY!"

A number of moneylenders walk out of the gate and bribe the troops.

"Not what I meant, but it'll do."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:53 am »

Hey Boksi, when you capture an animal, are they just like a point you can use, or do you get an actual unit?  If it's a unit, maybe we should have that eagle we psychically dominated take a quick looksie across the straights there.
You get an actual unit and that's a pretty good idea. I'm not sure if birds can actually fly over water, though. Also, what's the military strength of the eagle? And can animals level up/get promotions like other military units?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2012, 10:05:50 am »

"Sir, the Zulus are at the gate!"

"Dispatch the URSINERY!"

A number of moneylenders walk out of the gate and bribe the troops.

"Not what I meant, but it'll do."

Alright, you win.  Everyone can go home now.

Hey Boksi again, can we get like a complete worldmap with the updates?  Or some links in the OP?  Not necessary, but it'd be cool.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2012, 10:06:48 am »

Madness!  We already have vipers, I say we start there.  How big do vipers grow, anyway?
The largest viper in Mayanpanpenponpu is the Mayanpanpenponpu Viper, which sadly only grows to 4 or five feet long and weighs 20 pounds if it has not devoured a small child recently. They aren't very aggressive, but when they do bite...
In humans, a bite causes rapid and conspicuous swelling, intense pain, severe shock and local blistering. Other symptoms may include uncoordinated movements, defecation, urination, swelling of the tongue and eyelids, convulsions and unconsciousness. Blistering, bruising and necrosis may be extensive. There may be sudden hypotension, heart damage and dyspnoea. The blood may become incoagulable with internal bleeding that may lead to haematuria and haematemesis. Local tissue damage may require surgical excision and possibly amputation. Healing may be slow and fatalities during the recovery period are not uncommon.
With our tech level, if you're bit, you die in an extremely horrific and painful fashion, no questions asked.

I am afraid we will not be able to employ them as mounts until we research genetic engineering.
No Gods, No Masters.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2012, 10:08:19 am »

You get an actual unit and that's a pretty good idea. I'm not sure if birds can actually fly over water, though. Also, what's the military strength of the eagle? And can animals level up/get promotions like other military units?
I'm 99% sure they can't cross water, but they can cross peaks. They have a strength of 2 and cannot get any promotions as far as I know. This makes them inferior to normal recon units in most situations, really. They'll just get eaten by some other animal, whereas recon and hunting units get enormous bonuses versus animals.

EDIT: Alright, I'm working on another update. Then I'll go update the OP as Aqizzar suggested.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:13:02 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43