Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144879 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (32267 BC)
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 10:12:00 pm »

I like how Charlie reduces hygene by being a stinky Frenchman and not bathing.   :P

Which is odd given that historically NO ONE bathed  (sorta). It was just a hold-over in france for a while.
Actually, a lot of people bathed throughout history. For example, the Aztecs, Aqizzar.

Sort of

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

In all seriousness, it was mostly Europe that advocated anti-bathing. No one else really had an issue with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

Filthy washed barbarians.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »

I like how Charlie reduces hygene by being a stinky Frenchman and not bathing.   :P
Which is odd given that historically NO ONE bathed  (sorta). It was just a hold-over in france for a while.
Actually, a lot of people bathed throughout history. For example, the Aztecs, Aqizzar.

And how do you know the Jivaro didn't bathe?  No recorded history, remember?  Hell, they lived on rivers and named themselves after them.  I'm sure everybody at least fell in once in a while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

At least they can probably swim. Civilizations who don't know how to swim are disappointing to me, our own most of all.

...For the love of Lord Xenu and all the worlds of the Galactic Confederacy, tell me we don't have to research swimming.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

Europeans used to bathe quite a lot for a lot of their history, it's only during a few centuries from the late middle ages to the renaissance when they believed bathing would let disease into the body that they generally stopped washing anything that couldn't be seen while clothed. This was probably a miss-connection to the fact that public baths were a great way to spread diseases like polio.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:29 pm »

I'm not sure about the level of disease spreading that public baths caused. I've always been under the impression that the Romans were as healthy as they were in part because of the public baths.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »

...For the love of Lord Xenu and all the worlds of the Galactic Confederacy, tell me we don't have to research swimming.
Don't have to research swimming, but we also can't swim. Well, I guess you can walk across rivers, so that probably counts as swimming.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »

Don't have to research swimming, but we also can't swim. Well, I guess you can walk across rivers, so that probably counts as swimming.

Besides the water tiles represents QUITE a bit more then a short distances... They are sort of miles upon miles of distance.

Not something regular people can traverse.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 11:52:25 pm »

I'm not sure about the level of disease spreading that public baths caused. I've always been under the impression that the Romans were as healthy as they were in part because of the public baths.
I'd say it was probably a combination of sewage systems, clean water from aqueducts, and bathing that made them healthier than most other societies of old. But they also didn't have to contend with a lot of the disease Europeans would later be exposed to.

Of course, I can't really say for sure how much disease public baths caused either.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »

Besides the water tiles represents QUITE a bit more then a short distances... They are sort of miles upon miles of distance.

Multiple humans have swam across the English Channel at Dover.  That's got to be a tile in Civilization terms.  Clearly we just need to fortify our people to Olympian standards of distance paddling.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:33 am »

Multiple humans have swam across the English Channel at Dover.  That's got to be a tile in Civilization terms.  Clearly we just need to fortify our people to Olympian standards of distance paddling.
Transhumanism it is, then.

...Is that in this mod? I mean, if you're going to model the future....
No Gods, No Masters.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 12:06:29 am »

Transhumanism it is, then.

...Is that in this mod? I mean, if you're going to model the future....
Yeah, there's genetic enhancement and cybernetics and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure there's stuff like transhuman soldiers and android workers and suchlike in this mod, although I've never played in that era.

But even if normal humans at peak physical condition can swim across the English Channel, could they do it and bring supplies to survive in the wilderness with them? Because that's what'd be required for a scout to swim across.

Come to think of it, look at those reefs on the map. I bet you could swim across that area and just stop once in a while on one of the reefs. Maybe that's the remnant of a land bridge or something.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:03 am »

Come to think of it, look at those reefs on the map. I bet you could swim across that area and just stop once in a while on one of the reefs. Maybe that's the remnant of a land bridge or something.
We shall name it Mayanpanpenponpu Reef.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:04 am »

But even if normal humans at peak physical condition can swim across the English Channel, could they do it and bring supplies to survive in the wilderness with them? Because that's what'd be required for a scout to swim across.

Supplies?  Our people beat vipers to death with sticks and eat them.  They live in grass huts at the foot of an active volcano.  There is absolutely nothing they're going to need on the other side of the worldsea that they can't make with what they find on the ground, exactly as they do on this side.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43