Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Specific military skill training...  (Read 2938 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Specific military skill training...
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »

Is it possible to order dwarves to train a certain skill? For instance, I could use more wrestlers to help subdue these pesky Trogs while my swordsdwarves chop at it, Is there a way to have them train one certain skill or will they just do as the militia commander tells them? :-\

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Specific military skill training...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:52:27 pm »

designating wepons in the militery screen
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:53:46 pm »

Is it possible to order dwarves to train a certain skill? For instance, I could use more wrestlers to help subdue these pesky Trogs while my swordsdwarves chop at it, Is there a way to have them train one certain skill or will they just do as the militia commander tells them? :-\

I do know that, but if they aren't equipped they usually do "Individual combat drills" or something unrelated.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »

An Individual combat drill means they train with whatever weapon they have, or do not have in the case of martial artists.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

Note if you remove a weapon but leave shield they train misc object user not wrestle when they spar.  Also of note.  Wrestle sparring is the only one that can kill your dwarf
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:02:26 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:24:21 pm »

Note if you remove a weapon but leave shield they train misc object user not wrestle when they spar.  Also of note.  Wrestle sparring is the only one that can kill your dwarf
1. It trains striker.
2. Really?

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:32:22 pm »

Does Misc. Object User have a military application? I thought it was only an adventure mode thing?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »

Well since for now you cannot assign pieces of furniture to Dwarves as weapons, misc. object user has very little use in Fortress mode. Unless it's a Troll with a sock.

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »

The wiki does say that it is involved with shields, though. If there is no way to actually train it in dwarf mode, aside from tantruming, should I be embarking with someone with Misc. Objects and Teacher to get it up? Or is the effect negligible?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »

A legendary misc. object user is devastatingly powerful. I suppose there is one way to train it...

Crutches.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:01:40 pm »

If you do want to train it, you can put an armored dwarf in a pit without a weapon, dump a sock or something down there, and have them fight gobbos while off-duty. I think they're more likely to just wrestle if they're on duty, before picking up the sock, but I could be wrong. It works best with vampires, since they don't need to eat, drink, or sleep. I managed to get a full squad of legendary misc. user vampires for one fort... JUST IN CASE.

I think striker is also used whenever dwarves slap with the handle of their weapon, so it would make sense that shield bashing would follow that... though the word 'sense' is utterly meaningless when talking about dwarf fortress.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »

Striking is Scratching and punching, bladeslaps use the requiesite skill, while shields use Misc Object.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30:36 pm »

the word 'sense' is utterly meaningless when talking about dwarf fortress.

What are you talking about? This makes PERFECT sense! I'm totally doing this immediately. Thanks!

Will a civilian dwarf trained in Misc. Objects defend themselves with whatever is around, should they be attacked? If so, this is way better than giving everyone crossbows.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 03:57:56 pm »

1. It trains striker.
2. Really?

It always trains misc. object user for me. Or at least it did the last time I gave a recruit a shield only. I *think* that was 34.11 but could have been before.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

Will a civilian dwarf trained in Misc. Objects defend themselves with whatever is around, should they be attacked? If so, this is way better than giving everyone crossbows.

Dwarves only intentionally weaponise misc object when they're tantruming :p

At least, I've never seen a dwarf pick anything up mid-battle to throw or use as a weapon.
Pages: [1] 2