Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with caverns  (Read 897 times)

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with caverns
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:58:44 pm »

Hi all, It's been a while since I played DF (6-12 months) and I've been having trouble with caverns in the latest release. I like large open caverns, but no matter what i put into world_gen I get exactly the same type appear when I dig down (ie, tightly packed swisscheese, see http://i.imgur.com/6c9Op.png).

I've been using the following settings in world_gen.txt:

[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:0]

Any idea what I am doing wrong? thanks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:01:57 pm by Richard »

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with caverns
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »

Edit: can't delete this post?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:17:33 pm by Chaia »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

hmmm

Either the behavior is buggy, or there's some other missing piece of information.

However, what I would try is:

[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:50]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:2]

and see if that, first, produces any different results. 

Also, if you're ONLY manually editing the worldgen (and not using df to edit it), make sure you haven't inadvertently doubled up an entry somewhere in a bad copy/paste.  What I would try: Copy a default region, change only those four entries, then see what you get.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »

just use the adv world gen option.
Openness 90,100
density 0,10
Add in water 5,100 and you're good to go

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »

Idk, just about every cavern I've encountered from basic worldgen has been just what you're looking for
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:18 pm »

Well I figured out what was going wrong, or at least how to fix it, so I'll put it here in case anyone else runs into the same trouble I had.

It seems that vanilla create new world doesn't use world_gen settings at all (anymore?), and I get what I want using the "Design new world with advanced settings".

I'm pretty sure that in old versions I just edited the world_gen file and ran "create new world", and that used the edited world_gen settings, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »

World_gen.txt is used to load prebuilt worldgen profiles for the advanced embark menu.  Any speical customised version you create in that file are picked for the advanced list where they join the usual large region, large island etc.

I think its always been like that (or as long as ive played 0.31+).
What did change recently i think is the standard create new world option, which im sure used to ask which profile you wanted to run rather than always doing a full random roll...im sure i used to hit create new world, large region, go.  Now it always picks large region it seems (always first on list?)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.