Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need things to do  (Read 1573 times)

Serious Business

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need things to do
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:20:26 pm »

Hello, I'm quite new to the forums(I've been playing a long time though) need some help.  I can get a fortress going and keep it running but I usually just give up once this happens.  I need a real big goal to keep me going, like constructing a certain building or capturing megabeasts and making them fight for my entertainment.  So I have come to you, dear forum for help.  Any Ideas?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Need things to do
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »

Dig straight down.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »

Above ground defensive walls are a good start, but a multiple-level castle complete with siege engines, choke points, murder holes and crenellations, a well-stocked armoury, enough food to last out a long gruelling siege, fancy throne rooms and such for your nobles and royals, and the whole interior done up in the nicest materials available to give it a feeling of wealth and grandeur, is significantly more cool.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:37:00 pm »

Dig Deeper.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »

I'm using a 7x7 embark over a mountain peak with +119 Z-levels from surface to topmost peak to build Minas Tirath. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:10 pm »

Acquire 10 legendary potash makers

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »

has circus visited your fort yet ? if yes then build a new fortress in the circus !
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »

Hollow out an entire mountain.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

Build an amusement park.  Half for the dwarves to skip around on and half for the goblins to bleed in.

With the minecarts it should be possible to do rollercoasters, merry-go-rounds, and "boat"* rides.

* - Though I think the dwarf might bail out before you can skip the minecart across the pond/lake.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

efraker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:40:40 pm »

I like building huge armies in areas that are half non-evil, half-terrifying. I build a crusader army of a hundred+ dwarves, live on the surface in the non-evil side, with no traps or walls. I usually end up carving out huge catacombs for my dead.

Its hard on the FPS but I always liked building fortresses you have to enter by walking through a waterfall...

I've been meaning to start wrapping my head around minecarts so I can use them as drop-pods for a squad of valkyries who race down the tracks from their mountain-top aerie...

Its pretty easy and old-fashioned, but I like building huge water-towers... 30z levels tall, 7x7, with a 7x7 retracting bridge as the floor... fill it with water, station it over a narrow bridge over a chasm... open it up when somebody comes by. Watching elves get all their bones broken by the concussive force of water is almost as satisfying as watching hippies get sprayed with a fire hose.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »

Like many others have said, dig deeper.

Maybe your dwarves are an expeditionary military force sent to [Your embark] because your civ is at war with the circus. Maybe the plan was to build a massive fortress dedicated to entertaining the clowns. Maybe the plans for said fortress involve setting up an outpost inside the circus tent. Maybe you go there after the fact with an adventurer. Maybe that fortress was built with the intention of entertaining adventurers, too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:55:28 pm by PwndJa »

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

Ive been down this road before, DF is a game that requires YOU to make up the fun. Use your imagination, build huge projects, I love to build massive Golden pyramids for my best fallen warriors, and I usually bury them with whatever killed them. Start an above ground fortress, embark in an evil area and wipe out undead.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »

Build a temple to Armok atop a volcano, one of those reached with the really long stair ya'know?  Points for ability to run magma down the staircase for unworthy 'pilgrims'
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 07:30:02 pm »

I like building huge armies in areas that are half non-evil, half-terrifying. I build a crusader army of a hundred+ dwarves, live on the surface in the non-evil side, with no traps or walls. I usually end up carving out huge catacombs for my dead.
This. This oh so much. I've been trying to build a wall separating the two sides. Turns out, it's not that easy. 100z lvls of air to build up through, and I've only gotten the wallz to zlvl 3 :P

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »

HERE IS YOUR CHALLENGE! - Clense the Damned
-Venture onto a half-haunted/half pleasant biome, for the good of all, heh, good races
-Seal off the Haunted side with a wall.  No evil must cross into the happy land of the Dwarves
-Dig deep and draw magma from the earth.  Use it to clense the Haunted side of all evil that treads it.
-All who perish must be dumped on the Haunted side, retroactively after the wall is complete if it is not done.  Their bodies are foul and tainted, unfit for the pleasant community on the happy side.
-Devise a way to weaponize the local rain and/or clouds of mist.  Because the site is a happy place and should not be tainted by such foul things.  They should be inflicted on the Haunted side, instead.
Pages: [1] 2