Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: cutting minerals in jeweler's shop. bug or feature?  (Read 2642 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: cutting minerals in jeweler's shop. bug or feature?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 09:23:12 am »

The pitchblende mugs don't exactly scream good sense either
But they make good radioactive trade items. Now cinnabar pots and lead flasks, those don't make too much sense :P

As was covered in another thread, realizing lead and mercury are highly toxic is a VERY recent, modern discovery.  Lead was commonly used for plumbing in ancient Rome, and mercury was used as a medicine by nearly every society that found it.

I hope one day more reaccions are made for special stones so mercury can be extracted from cinnabar. I mean the ancient chinese could make a lake of pure mercury, why not dwarfs? Plus that would be one more liquid to have fun with.
Linky?

It's the Terracotta Army being referred to here.  The tomb contained a miniature landscape with rivers and lakes of mercury that matched the topography of the Emperor's realm.  The mercury has long since vanished, having been soaked into the soil, but testing at the site revealed insanely high levels of mercury (which backs up the descriptions of the lakes and rivers from antiquity).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:28 am »

[edit] Ninja'd.

1st Emperor also ate mercury to try to live longer - don't need to explain the irony there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:21 am »

As was covered in another thread, realizing lead and mercury are highly toxic is a VERY recent, modern discovery.  Lead was commonly used for plumbing in ancient Rome, and mercury was used as a medicine by nearly every society that found it.
The Romans were catching onto lead poisoning. If the empire didn't collapse, they would've replaced them with stone most like. Dark ages undid nearly everything. Conveniently the dark ages was also around the time when crazy leaders started going around spouting nonsense about mercury increasing your life span :/
Oh and some sauce

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 02:26:55 pm »

Yeah its a feature and really good for training and rubbish stone disposal.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 [2]