Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Night/Day cycles in Fortress mode?  (Read 4677 times)

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Night/Day cycles in Fortress mode?
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:55:14 pm »

Just curious if it was possible or if anyone thinks this is a good idea. I think it would be kinda cool to bring my dwarves in at night while all of the creatures of the night come out =P What do you guys think?

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
Re: Night/Day cycles in Fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »

This belongs to the suggestion thread.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

I thought this already happened, but as an omnipitent being you can see perfectly well in the dark, so you dont really notice it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »

This belongs to the suggestion thread.

And is already been suggested to death I believe.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

jimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »

You can't see the night in fortress mode and there are some good reasons for this.
The time goes way too fast to add this feature. Changing from day to night in just a few seconds and that everytime would be way too FPS instense and not necessary.

Your dorfs wouldn't even had enough time to charge at the enemies because it would be already day. :D

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »

I could see it being an option in the future that you could turn on and off in the INIT's, like the temperature and the weather, but it's fairly unnecessary and seems mostly to be an aesthetic/preference thing.

Here my suggestion: There should just be a simple indicator in the 'z' status menu, next to the date of course, that tells you whether it's night or day; then you can change the contrast on your monitor everytime it cycles over

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

I don't think changing the contrast every few seconds would be very practical. :D
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:32:05 pm »

Maybe, tucked off in the side, there could be twenty-four little blocks, one for each hour, and one red indicator would travel down through this as the day progressed.

At night, diurnal creatures wouldn't stop moving, but maybe they'd walk slower and bunch up tighter (if they formed herds/flocks).
My wooden badge was delicious.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »

The day night cycle isn't going to be introduce, probably due to two reasons.

Number 1, as already expunge upon is that Fort Mode time compression, at best makes it really silly.

Number 2, is that ToadyOne has a very strong conclusion that the playerbase doesnt want the dorfs to be all sleeping at the same time. That they overall prefer some dorfs at anyone time to always be doing something. And having a day/night cycle would strongly imply that there would be moments where most dorfs wouldnt be doing anything.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:09:07 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 06:53:16 pm »

Cave adaption.

Also, a day is 1200 frames in fort mode, so at 100 fps you get:
It is now day.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now night.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now day.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now night.
(repeat forever)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:50 am »

Cave adaption.

Also, a day is 1200 frames in fort mode, so at 100 fps you get:
It is now day.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now night.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now day.
(wait 6 seconds)
It is now night.
(repeat forever)

Almost as bad as the spam you get with burrows :p
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:30:09 am »

^This is true, it already fucking annoys me how often I have to be informed that "There is nothing left to catch in the central caverns"

and it would only further highlight the fact that dwarves seem to eat/sleep every few days, like some sort of fasting monks who also love to get hammered

Gerottomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:57:01 am »

I first will say that this does belong in the suggestions thread, but to give my input

Now, the only way this would really work is if the progression of time was changed (which wouldn't be that bad!)

Right now a day (24 hours) progresses (As Urist Da Vinci pointed out) every 12 seconds.

Now, if everything was going from dark to light, anywhere from 12 seconds to probably 20 minutes I myself would find annoying.

I would probably say a 30 minute day would be the first point I wouldn't mind going from darkness to light.

Though, from this, the game would become more realistic, but also become a lot more annoying to play

A) Farming - taking an actual year to grow/harvest crops

B) Sleeping - all your dwarves asleep at once (for like, 10 minutes as an overseer?)

C) Realism in other aspects - Sieges every few weeks? Of course a real war would be more constant with attackers, but in DF right now there can be a year or so in between charges.

D) Traders - unless the frequency was changed, traders coming each year would be over 150 hours apart?

A fort lasting 150 hours of gameplay? Something like that would take away our "Losing is fun" motto and change gameplay entirely.

and I'm sure my fellow posters can come up with a million more reasons why not to create day/night cycles.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

I think the game would have to slow down immensely, and require some serious labor overhauls, to make this a good idea.  I personally LOVE the idea of day/night cycles, but as it stands it would be either a hassle (as jobs get canceled every six seconds as the fortress goes to bed and FPS crashes periodically to recalculate nocturnal/diurnal activity) or a pointless, unnoticed feature (that, as stated, simply spams a message every six seconds).

Hell, the lunar indicator is barely noticeable these days, making were-beast attacks a strange event as a were-mongoose runs at top speed from the map edge, hell bent on ruin when suddenly the moon changes and it reverts to an elf or whatever just outside the door.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Gerottomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Hell, the lunar indicator is barely noticeable these days, making were-beast attacks a strange event as a were-mongoose runs at top speed from the map edge, hell bent on ruin when suddenly the moon changes and it reverts to an elf or whatever just outside the door.

'tis quite hilarious
NOW YOU WILL KNOW WHY YOU FEAR THE NIGHT.
*The Were-mosquito attacks your (insert random unimportant animal here)
*The Were-mosquito reverts to its human form
*The Were-mosquito runs away!

(all of this happens in 6 seconds)
Pages: [1] 2