Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pressure bolt thrower?  (Read 2684 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Water pressure bolt thrower?
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:41:43 pm »

My fort is a bit of a mess and is about to fall so i cant test this idea right now, but in my next fort i'm going to test this idea, I thought i'd run it pass here first for any feedback.

Basically, I built my first attempt at a water cannon to kill traders/invaders, just a semi-large watertower with a small opening that in theory will fire water out with enough pressure to kill... it wasnt strong enough, but I did notice in combat reports that enemies (and allies -_-) would be struck by objects that had been left in the water tower from construction.

now how about quantum stockpiling a bunch of bolts in a series of water towers to fire a hell of a bunch of bolts all at once at an invading force? how about poisoning the water they are kept in?

If this works then its a damn sight better than ballistas. (and with clever construction I imagine the bolts will be re-usable too)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Water pressure bolt thrower?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

I... hope that the bolts hit with their sharp end.

IIRC, bolts can either hit with the shaft or the head, so you may get a lot of bruising and deflections, but this could be good science.

ah, i assumed they would always hit the same way.
I'm open to suggestions as to what else to fill it with, if bolts result in more bruises than anything else.

I had initially thought of just dumping a load of rocks in, but I figured it would take far more water pressure to send them the same distance. I could just use the fortresses general waste as ammunition, nothing like using the corpses and severed limbs of your enemies friends as projectile weaponry.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

Water which moves according to the "pressure" rules doesn't push anything, because the water is effectively teleporting to the destination.

Fluids less than 7/7 which push objects around only move them 1 tile at a time, and the objects are not treated as projectiles, unless they are (gently!) pushed off a cliff and fall on someone.

The OP's idea won't really work, though they should try "minecart shotguns" if they want to shoot bolts or stuff at the enemy.

Bolts are currently limited to hitting with the sharp end. A falling pick is also limited to hitting with the sharp end, though a falling sword can hit with the tip, blade, flat, or pommel.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:26 pm »

The OP's idea won't really work, though they should try "minecart shotguns" if they want to shoot bolts or stuff at the enemy.

As an addendum, a video example of this, using serrated glass disks, can be found here. Thread here.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

However, infected extract one the other hand.....

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »

You can load magma, and, perhaps, extract-laden water into a minecart autoshotgun as well, IIRC.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

Well, I have an infected resevoir. BRB building autoshotty. No reason why It shouldn;t work, but it bears testing.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:30:57 pm »

Contact infection is obviously succesfull, and boiling aerial infection followed. No injected toxins yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 12:51:15 am »

Do you have access to small mammals? Because a water powered rabbit cannon would be just excellent.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:52:11 am »

Do you have access to small mammals? Because a water powered rabbit cannon would be just excellent.
millitary commender: "FIRE THE RABBITS"
goblins: ???
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 03:34:34 am »

Water which moves according to the "pressure" rules doesn't push anything, because the water is effectively teleporting to the destination.

Fluids less than 7/7 which push objects around only move them 1 tile at a time, and the objects are not treated as projectiles, unless they are (gently!) pushed off a cliff and fall on someone.

Bolts are currently limited to hitting with the sharp end. A falling pick is also limited to hitting with the sharp end, though a falling sword can hit with the tip, blade, flat, or pommel.

hmm.. I guess the combat reports of enemies being hit by projectile junk was from those that were stood right by the spout, and hit by the initial 6/7 or whatever push of water. this makes me sad.
I guess a vertical version that drops/pushes a stockpile of projectile weaponry onto the targets from above could work, but I’ll look into trying to get mine cart shotguns to work, they’ve always seemed a bit puzzling.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 04:18:00 pm »

You can shoot live rabbits using a double minecart shotgun setup.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:16 am »

You can shoot live rabbits using a double minecart shotgun setup.

This. We need to recreate the scene from monty python and the holy grail where the french launch farm animals at them.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.