Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fun and ‼Fun‼: Please learn the difference  (Read 8124 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Fun and ‼Fun‼: Please learn the difference
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »

Recently I've been seeing lots of misuses of "‼Fun‼", so I thought I'd post a thread about it.

You see, "‼" denotes "on fire", not "dwarfy" in general (although the two may coincide). For instance:
Quote from: Some Guy
so i made a fortress in an aquifer, but then i accidentally made a well in the aquifer and flooded my fortress it was very !!fun!! lol

That's definitely not ‼fun‼, because it involved water, not fire or magma. In fact, that would have extinguished ‼fun‼ and left behind XXfunXX. Correct usage would be something like
Quote from: Some Other Guy
so i made a magma forge metal industry because i embarked on a volcano, but i accidentally emptied 3 z-levels of the volcano to burn some elves and goblins, so i made a floor about 2 z-levels underneath the forges and pumped magma into that. but the pump operators kept pumping and it got into my fortress and killed all but my four fisherdwarves and a ranger, one of who walked to the fishery and was caught by a magma flow. it was very ‼fun‼

This is correct because it actually did involve fire or magma, which probably resulted in lots of x‼dwarf brain‼x and similar. Another thing: the "‼" is actually a single symbol. It is not "!!". Highlight them and you'll see! Nobody will yell at you if you do use "!!", but you'll probably feel up to four times cooler if you copy-paste the actual symbol.

Now that that's out of the way, I propose more ways to phrase "fun". Use the tag most related to your fortress' demise:

Quote from: Decorations Guy
My metalsmith made a ornately decorated steel battle axe, then went berserk and killed fifteen dwarves before he was taken down by a blade trap, which caused a «fun» tantrum spiral.

Quote from: Worn-Out Guy
So I didn't set up a clothing industry, because I was making a military fort in a warm climate and we weren't wasting any time or space on yarn cloth. But eventually, my non-militia's clothes wore out and they got a constant stream of bad thoughts from their partial nudity. They all snapped and the military killed them, but since most of these dwarfs were their own lovers or children they started throwing tantrums too, and soon we were having lots of XXfunXX.

Quote from: Forbidding Guy
Urist McStupid decided to throw rocks at an elephant until it stomped him flat, leaving his corpse outside our gates. So then a stream of dwarfs came pouring out of the front door to get all those +llama leather socks+, and even more were killed by the same elephant. Soon most everyone was running to get their own piece of this sock madness. Luckily, I knew what to do, and forbade all the clothing items. Their purpose forgotten, all the dwarfs just stopped what they were doing, and were trampled by the angry herd while staring off into space. It was very {fun}.

Quote from: Masterwork Guy
My legendary cook made his first masterwork meal today. Unfortunately, we already had about 700 other meals in a fortress of only 30 dwarfs. So his perfect meal rotted, and he snapped. I guess he had lots of experience with kitchen knives because he managed to take out three of my best stoneworkers before being killed by his own wife. At this point, everyone was tantruming, and then the goblins came. Lots of ☼fun☼ was had.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:57:59 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Batman Wayne

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruining the fun for everybody.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun and ‼Fun‼: Please learn the difference
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »

This should be in General Discussion.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »

This should be in General Discussion.
You get n times the fun in Fortress Mode, where n is the number of dwarves. In Adventure Mode you only get one unit of fun.
My wooden badge was delicious.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »

one of my dwarves got turned into obsidian , i can't figure out was it fun or !!fun!!.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »

one of my dwarves got turned into obsidian , i can't figure out was it fun or !!fun!!.
Well it was ‼FUN‼ for a moment there...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »

It was ‼fun‼ while ‼it‼ lasted.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:40:01 pm »

in arena mode i spawned a dragon and a giant sperm whale , the dragon breathed fire and i (GSW) melted in water , was it fun or !!fun!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:42:11 pm by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:42:48 pm »

Maximum autism a-hoy!

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:43:41 pm »

aye-aye , captain!

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »

I can't heeaaaaarrrr youuuuu~

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »

Aye - Aye , Captain !!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:50:39 pm by brainfreez »

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:39 pm »

OOOOOOOOOHHHHH~

Who lives in a fortress under the magma sea?

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »

UNDEAD SPONGE MAN!!!! (i guess its demon fortress)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:53:33 pm by brainfreez »

gazoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:39 pm »

Overpowered, un-kill able and fun is he~

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »

UNDEAD SPONGE MAN!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5