Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing Dwarves - Feeling Bad  (Read 1687 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing Dwarves - Feeling Bad
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:46:40 am »

Untill now I've been 'attached' to my dwarves whenever I play, meaning that I make my outmost in order to protect all of them, from the children to the grippled to those totally 'trash' dwarves.

I've been wondering now that I've hit the pop cap of 90.. that there are a lot of no doers in the fort, which have so poor stats that they aren't really suited for anything at all - nor do they have any skills that are valuable - or atleast skilled in something..

.. which kinda leads me to think about getting rid of the unwanted folk in order to clear more room for more quality immigrants.

.. which makes me feel a bad person :D

So I was wondering, do you guys have similar concerns as to these feelings, seeing that they are only ASCII letters..

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Dwarves - Feeling Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:01:02 am »

Pump operators en-mass == Military Dwarf!

Set them to operate pumps for a season or two and you will see them get super good strength stats, then recruit them and put a spear or sword in their hands and you have a good militia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:02:14 am »

Dwarves are like cats, they're acceptable to !!SCIENCE!! with, but once you give them a name they're invaluable.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:49 am »

Dwarves are like cats, they're acceptable to !!SCIENCE!! with, but once you give them a name they're invaluable.

Yea! Chain the little blighters outside w/ some food and "water" and let the !!SCIENCE!! begin!

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:09:09 am »

Are the dwarven pump operators= military training still true? I thought that most civilian jobs now don't train physical attributes

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:26:41 am »

Are the dwarven pump operators= military training still true?

To my understanding this is not true.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:02 am »

Are the dwarven pump operators= military training still true?

To my understanding this is not true.

It increases their strength which equals military! Doesn't matter how smart or slow they are if they can smash things to bits and if you have 10 of them in a squad it's not bad for fodder. Also last time I checked(34.11) they still gain str xp. Just takes a good long while.

EDIT: To test this quickly just boost the xp rates and send them to work. You will notice it does in fact increase their strength and stamina, or maybe just the endurance... BRB!

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:21 am »

I suggest creating a doctor training ground.  dig a hole 3-4 z down.  put bridge over said hole.  make burrow over bridge.  link lever to bridge.  assign useless dwarves to burrow.  pull the lever.  some may die, those that live in a horribly crippled manner become useful to the long-term functioning of your fort

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:04 am »

I suggest creating a doctor training ground.  dig a hole 3-4 z down.  put bridge over said hole.  make burrow over bridge.  link lever to bridge.  assign useless dwarves to burrow.  pull the lever.  some may die, those that live in a horribly crippled manner become useful to the long-term functioning of your fort

And the survivors would also be used to tragedy and thus less likely to tantrum. Win-win!
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 10:56:15 am »

3-4 might not do it anymore with the new gravity system. i suggest a controlled stabbing with a spear trap connected to a lever.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:45 am »

Of course I feel bad when a dwarf dies, that's one less person for me to rule over.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:35:22 pm »

It increases their strength which equals military!
Not by much...

You'd be better off just letting them spar in their clothes, with a few light bits of armour to raise their Armour User skill (gauntlets, boots, a helm... not body or leg armour, that stuff will slow down an unskilled dwarf). Endurance is the only stat raised a significant amount by pumping, and it only comes into play when wrestling. Raising base speed and reducing armour penalties is more important (as are the combat skills you were working towards gaining anyway), so get a setup that keeps them in the barracks as often as possible and leave them to it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

Don't you always need haulers and janitors? That's what my "useless" dwarves end up doing.

Regarding their stats and the military, though, even dwarves with bad stats tend to toughen up after a while in the military.