Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer Dwarfs trapped in a cage  (Read 3482 times)

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Dwarfs trapped in a cage
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »

Hey All,

Quick question.   I have 2 Necromancers (one Human one Dwarf) & about 6 Dwarven body parts stuck in some cages.  Basically I've been under a 20 year siege from Necromancers that has finally dwindled to an end.   For the most part I had no problems dumping the undead except when they are Dwarven parts.

I cannot select them in the Pit list, they do not show up.  They can be properly dragged to any Animal designation I can set them up so I can position them however is required.

I've read a few things about "building" the cage and releasing, but I am not to sure how that is done.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can dump these cages?

Thanks!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Dwarfs trapped in a cage
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:50 pm »

Drop them into magma while still inside the cage.

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »

hahah!

I want them alive though!  Well, the necromancers at least.  Figure I will toss them in a room and let them animate corpses to keep my Marksdwarfs occupied.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:09 pm »

Build the cage. Then build a lever. Connect the lever to the cage and pull the lever.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »

How do i Build the cage he is in?   

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »

(b)uild -> (j)cage. Then press (x) to see an expanded list and choose the correct one.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:08 pm »

Oh sweet, thanks, I will give it a go!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:29 pm »

Regarding the unanimated dwarf parts, I think the easiest way to get rid of them is to loo(k) at the cage contents, and then manually dumping the body parts.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:28:20 am »

Failing the lever, just assign them to a chain.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

Regarding the unanimated dwarf parts, I think the easiest way to get rid of them is to loo(k) at the cage contents, and then manually dumping the body parts.
No, they're animated--they count as creatures. You'll have to build the cages and release them from there, have your military kill them again, and then you can dump them.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

Failing the lever, just assign them to a chain.

Imagine being a hyman trader coming into a dwarven fortress where there are heads, toes, feet and hair chained up somehere in the fortress.

Urist McBroker: "Aye, that's Imik, may ArmOk have his soul, he won't bite ya."
Imik: "*CLACK* *CLACK* BRAINS! *CLACK*."
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »

No, they're animated--they count as creatures. You'll have to build the cages and release them from there, have your military kill them again, and then you can dump them.
Oh whoops. In that case then yeah, you're right.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:12 pm »

Its a shame to waste a perfectly useful necromancer.

Build him a tiny prison cell overlooking a pit. Allow him line of sight to the pit through a floor grate. Rig up a retracting bridge under him so you can block vision if needed.

Make the pit your refuse stockpile.

Then open the bridge to allow the necromancer to reanimate all of those body parts.

Surely you can find some usage for a pit full of zombies you can indefinitely reanimate at will. :D

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »

Build him a tiny prison cell overlooking a pit. Allow him line of sight to the pit through a floor grate. Rig up a retracting bridge under him so you can block vision if needed.

Make the pit your refuse stockpile.

Then open the bridge to allow the necromancer to reanimate all of those body parts.
I like the way you think! Perhaps add a atom smasher on the bottom of the pit to help with the possible cleanup if needed.

..such pit might even prove useful incase you get a particulary annoying noble.

Urist McBroker: "Aye, that's Imik, may ArmOk have his soul, he won't bite ya."
Imik: "*CLACK* *CLACK* BRAINS! *CLACK*."
If it is brains they want the zombies would just starve to death. A standard dorf has no need for such fleshy organ. (The unfortunate ones that actually posses such things usually fall to melancholy or go stark raving mad.) It is their alcohol enriched livers and 96% ABV blood that they are after.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

Simplest and probably one of the most effective uses of the pit would be for combat training. Have fortifications overlooking the pit and station some newbie marksdwarves there. Let them shoot down all of the zombies.

To recover ammo from the pit just block the view of the necromancer and the corpses so he can't reanimate them. Knock them all down using crossbows, then you can pick up the ammo again.

Then restock the pit with more body parts, seal up the door, and let the necromancer reanimate them again. More target practice time.

Or make an arena. Goblins vs zombies.