Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mason training?  (Read 2866 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mason training?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »

Best way to ensure that your masons have plenty of rock to work with is to use a minecart and track to automatically quantum stockpile rocks right next to the workshop, so he only has to travel a few steps to get a new rock.

Rocks are very heavy, and workshops don't use wheelbarrow which means that if your masons need to haul rocks across the fortress, your mason's skill level will suck.

Once you set up a simple quantum stockpiler, you can feed your mason workshop all of the rocks on the map, and he will churn through them like no tomorrow.

I've found that its better to have a small number of highly efficient workshops than it is to have a large number of less efficient workshops. The key to efficiency is having all resources as close as dwarvenly possible to the workshop.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »

Best way to ensure that your masons have plenty of rock to work with is to use a minecart and track to automatically quantum stockpile rocks right next to the workshop, so he only has to travel a few steps to get a new rock.
Alternatively, dump the stone right onto the centre of the workshop, and turn off stone hauling temporarily before you allow access to the workshop. This is better done at higher skill levels, when more of the job time is being spent on transport.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »

Alternatively, dump the stone right onto the centre of the workshop, and turn off stone hauling temporarily before you allow access to the workshop. This is better done at higher skill levels, when more of the job time is being spent on transport.

While you can actually dump stone into the workshop itself and you can even automate it using a mine cart, there are problems to this.

If you dump it from above, you can drop it into the middle square of the workshop, so a dwarf has to move 0 steps to reach stone. Problem is that because this is not a stone stockpile, you will get an infinite hauling loop, and you might crush the mason if a load of stone gets dropped onto his head.

If you dump the stone from the side, you can get it into the workshop safely, without crushing the dwarf. The dwarf needs to take 1 step to the stone and 1 step back, but this is also not a stone stockpile, so same infinite hauling loop.

If you dump the stone adjacent to the workshop, you can zone that a 1x1 stone stockpile which will not cause an infinite hauling loop, and it can be done in complete safety. The dwarf needs to take 2 steps to the stone and 2 steps back to the workshop. Doing it this way is also completely automatic and will eventually quantum stockpile every single rock in your fortress in that single tile, right next to your mason workshop.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:38 pm »

That's why I said to turn off stone hauling temporarily. If you really need some stone moved from somewhere while the mason is chewing through the stone pile, there are always dump orders.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]