Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is a full-time military possible?  (Read 10959 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is a full-time military possible?
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »

The title says it all, I just want to know if I can have a full time militia(maxed out units, none on leave from duty) without causing them to have a hissy fit. Because I realized that my units dont get much done if a few of them are off duty.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is a full-time military possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »

They will stop complaining once they are highly skilled soldiers.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:09 pm »

Sure.  Just make sure the area they're training in is lavish, with high-value items throughout.  Engravings are nice, too.  Any hits to mood will be offset by the dwarven bling :).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:18:56 pm »

Well, a little break is too be expected in a military. Give them seasonal breaks, i.e. every 3 months. Works from me, and i have 60 of them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »

The title says it all, I just want to know if I can have a full time militia(maxed out units, none on leave from duty) without causing them to have a hissy fit. Because I realized that my units dont get much done if a few of them are off duty.

Generally you shouldn't have a Dwarf in the Military 12 months of the year with no breaks. Even if it was just a dip in mood: they need to eat, they need to drink, and they need to sleep. However, you can keep them happy if you really want to do it.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:41:01 pm »

Generally you shouldn't have a Dwarf in the Military 12 months of the year with no breaks. Even if it was just a dip in mood: they need to eat, they need to drink, and they need to sleep. However, you can keep them happy if you really want to do it.

How do complete schedule breaks compare to training breaks through minimum orders?  Are they functionally equivalent for equal break proportions?  For example, a 3-man squad that is set to 2 minimum all year round vs. the same squad set to 3 minimum, but only training 8 months/two-thirds of the year?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »

I set my military squads to active patrol(archers) or training(melee) year round. As long as you only require a couple dwarves per squad to be on duty it keeps them rotating nicely. Sometimes an eager beaver will be stay on duty for months and complain of long patrols, but this is usually a minor hit to mood.
 I will deactivate a squad if they suffer heavy combat losses and moral begins to drop. Usually a month or two leave will repair the soldiers mood sufficiently.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

So, 3 months of, 9 months on, is a good rotation?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »

military is bugged. breaks don't work. the long patrol counter is never reset when the dwarves are released from duty, and although they lose the negative thought while off duty, once they're activated again it returns almost imediatelly
quietust has released a binary fix for this, i don't know how to apply it though.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:46 pm »

After the first year of training (to get to Competent in their assigned weapon) I tend to go with 1 month training/2 months patrol or station/1 month off rotation.  With four squads, you will always have one training, one off, and the other two active at any given time.

It appears you don't really gain any happiness by giving them time off because the game doesn't reset their happiness when they change from active to inactive military status at the moment (there's a bug report in Mantis on it).  This means it may be better to just put gold statues in the corners of where they train/station, and leave them active all the time to avoid the added hit of "drafted again!" every time they go active and "dismissed from service again!" when they shift to a civilian role, in addition to the normal "damn, this is a long patrol" complaint you normally get.

[edit] aaaaand ... my verbosity gets me ninja'd ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »

They can do those things just fine so long as they're not stationed anywhere. Training doesn't stop them from attending to their needs as civilians would, and placing the barracks furniture where you want soldiers to be is a good substitute for a station order.

I've had no problems with having military dwarves constantly active. The good thoughts from sparring offset the bad thoughts about long duty, and giving them nice things boosts their mood to the point where the -10 from enragement about long duty doesn't really matter. Sparring itself is a +10 thought.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Eldestish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 04:28:12 pm »

Just keep the meals and booze coming and you should be fine, Having a copper dining room helps.....

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

I never give my militia breaks, we don't play that way. Trained armies, nothing but. They tantrum now and again, but mostly don't go crazy for real.

Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

I always found my dwarves got upset when I took them off duty! They'd cry about long periods of duty, then when I gave them a break (still soldiers very much in training) they're moan about being taken off duty. So every fortress I've done for the last year or two has featured large never breaking military, and I've never had them kick off in a tantrum either. In fact, I've placed a very poorly made wooden armour stand outside, totally open to the elements, set it as the barracks and had them spar away for years. Sometimes I'll have them slaughter the wildlife, which they enjoy, and they're always on hand to deal with any goblins or thieves.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »

I always found my dwarves got upset when I took them off duty! They'd cry about long periods of duty, then when I gave them a break (still soldiers very much in training) they're moan about being taken off duty. So every fortress I've done for the last year or two has featured large never breaking military, and I've never had them kick off in a tantrum either. In fact, I've placed a very poorly made wooden armour stand outside, totally open to the elements, set it as the barracks and had them spar away for years. Sometimes I'll have them slaughter the wildlife, which they enjoy, and they're always on hand to deal with any goblins or thieves.
Soldiers will only complain about being taken off duty if their off-duty profession is "peasant". Just have them make a few rock bars until they are classified as "masons" or work a pump until they are "pump operators" and the bad thought from being take off of duty goes away.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4