Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is a full-time military possible?  (Read 10956 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is a full-time military possible?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

military is bugged. breaks don't work. the long patrol counter is never reset when the dwarves are released from duty, and although they lose the negative thought while off duty, once they're activated again it returns almost imediatelly
quietust has released a binary fix for this, i don't know how to apply it though.

What I do is use Notepad++ with the "HEX-Editor" plugin installed, open the exe, view it in Hex, go to the values Quietust tells of then alter them to what they should be.

... That, or use this if you're playing the Windows SDL version. That bug already patched plus a few I've never even heard of. I use it :)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:30 am »

As many have stated before, it is possible to have a full time army. In fact, aft I get about ten females in my fort, I have all my males join the army and train non-stop year round

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 05:01:16 am »

how do you manage to keep them happy till they become elite?also i noticed when on duty they dont use dining rooms

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 06:10:13 am »

Make sure they have either proper armor, or enough civilian clothes, to prevent clothing unhappiness.
Build a mist generator somewhere on the route from sparring to grabbing food.
Give them a personal room, and 1-2 months no scheduled order or, training order that does not summon all dwarves of the squad, so they can dine in dining room every once in a while. That's all I do for my military, and so far, I haven't had any military dwarf tantrum yet, in the 42 years that this fort has run. They even didin't break down when 3 of their friends died of old age simultaneously. If you wonder, I have 32 military dwarves now. Maybe 10 are elite, the rest still get the long patrol duty thought. A training schedule for a 4-dwarf squad looks like this for me:

no scheduled order
train (minimum 2)
train (minimum 4)

train (minimum 4)
train (minimum 2)
train (minimum 4)

train (minimum 4)
train (minimum 2)
train (minimum 4)

train (minimum 4)
train (minimum 2)
no scheduled order
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:15:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14:56 am »

To keep them happy, I turns off their duty tour whenever I see red arrows. I keep multiple back-up squads, or have sealed up fortresses :D

I seem to be having a bit of problem keeping dwarves happy in general once someone tantrums because of skullpunching, so I just give everyone helmets anyway and have a civilian militia for most part.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:21 am »

well but then i find putting elite dworfs off duty VERY annoying...the one where they lose their lord status once they are back on duty, plus putting them off duty for that period of time also has the risk of your elite dworfs or going to be elite dworfs getting a strange mood which i try my best to avoid. Thats the main reason why i need them to do full time.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 09:43:09 am »

I do a few things to keep them happy. First, lavish meals. Second, as many different types of booze as possible. Then come rooms, each of my rooms is  5 by 5 fully stacked with bed, coffer, cabinet, armor and weapon stands. I put windows whenever possible as well. All this helps with general happines.
As day as the army itself, I always embark with a very good teacher. I spar him up to a somewhat high level and then give him a squad of ten to command. He is usually my militia commander and only ever teaches recruits. As I get more teachers I switch them to different weapons.

I give my dwarves lots of downtime though. This means that most of my dwarves are very sociable and tend to not get very sad when people die.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:34 am »

down time?you dont mind them getting a strange mood??im crazy about that i try my best not let my soon to be elites go off duty no matter what...what about that minor bug regarding them not remaining elite

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:31 am »

You could just stop giving them downtime if you're bugged by them going elite then non. It don't actually affects their skill, from what I could find, just statue display.

As for me, I turns artifacts off on my forts, I tend to have too many deaths from it :D

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:58 am »

I don't mind that one time they get a fey mood and make an artefact.
And they only lose the elite status until they gain enough xp while sparring to gain another level. Which happens pretty quickly, mostly within a month. And indeed. Losing elite status is purely cosmetic, it does not affect their skills
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:06:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 11:22:46 am »

Did this change in one of the recent patches? I could have sworn that I used to run with a military that never went off duty with no problems whatsoever, probably because the happiness penalty for long-duty was so meaningless.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:42 am »

Did this change in one of the recent patches? I could have sworn that I used to run with a military that never went off duty with no problems whatsoever, probably because the happiness penalty for long-duty was so meaningless.

Nah, there've always been small issues with military happiness since 31. It's a bit worse in 34. in my experience because there're a lot more things they're attached to, plus tantrum skullpunching.

It's usually not so big a deal, though, even with buggy long patrol unhappiness being stuck.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 12:01:50 pm »

I turn on the military and never turn them off. I also don't send out anything below lords, because station orders, plus the bug that returns them to their peasant skill, then back to military gives them tons of negative thoughts. Food drink and bedrooms is all you need, and plus murdering goblins always makes my dwarfs happy.

I have dwarfs that have been on for 20 years with no break (and they are almost full legendary+5 in all skills to boot) with no consequence.

blaster395

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »

I have found that putting peasant migrants into the military is a recipe for disaster, despite how much of a good idea it seems. Right now, it takes a very long time (perhaps up to a year) for your dwarves to go from dabbling to novice in a new military skill. This can mean 12 cases of their military status changing before they stop complaining as much. A dwarf with no military skill gets unhappy when activated, and a dwarf with no civilian skill gets unhappy when deactivated. For peasant's both apply, and this will very rapidly drag them into unhappiness.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 11:13:41 pm »

you both are right actually its is pure cosmetic but i just simply OCD about having the lords and masters :) and love those bright colours..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4