Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is a full-time military possible?  (Read 10954 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is a full-time military possible?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »

Yeah, they complain when being relieved from military duty if they lack a civilian skill at novice or higher, and they complain of the draft if they lack a weapon skill at novice or higher (i'm still not entire clear on which military skills are checked for this, and which aren't, however).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:55 am »

I call bullshit to this keeping them happy stuff

I was training my military full time, 24/7, with the only breaks being meals, in a relatively small room, with nothing but the general happiness and the "took joy in slaughter", and the only one I had go unhappy was the one that had all 21 war dogs die in battle (training for at least 5 seasons)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 06:20:40 am »

Yes that works fine.  Until someone dies.

I have the same experiences, I dont pimp their first barracks, im drafting civvies.  I just stick them on fulltime.  If you are using a squad of 3 with 2 minimum to train, then that third dwarf isnt offduty while hes drinking or whatever, he wont get a hit, nor will he when he comes back.  Its scheduled notrain months that do that.

This works just fine.

Until you use them and one of them dies in the melee.

This will tank their hapiness severely for a bit, you should be ok if they werent pissy to begin with.  Having a lavish barracks really does help at this point though if the battles start getting messy.  I've been in situations where im barely holding on by throwing entire migrant waves at seigers, resulting predictably in horrific carnage where the survivors see dozens of deaths.  If they go in exstatic then im ahead of the game  I dont even deactivate them, just let em storm off to the legendary barracks.  You usually dont have an issue, they get shock and awed by the epic engravings and gold interior, theyre barely grumpy by the time they take their first meal/drink which should be high quality anyway to keep the civvies happy.  Bingo, content dwarf who is still loaded with a bucket of death thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:22:56 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 07:41:11 am »

Unless they're training in a mist generator, I do deactivate them so that they can get a mood hit...

I do have to deactivate the barracks room though, so that they can meet up and chat with friends..... its neccessary when my recruits die to some bad accident.............

But otherwise, deactivating and reactivating recruits actually worsen their mood as compared to full time training. Do this two or three times and they can go from ectastic to unhappy easily. Its worse with the necromancer angle as they get the unhappy attacked by undead thoughts.....

Does anyone knows if undead zombies still emit miasma underground?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:44:44 am by PainRack »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 11:48:00 am »

My soldiers don't even go off duty in death. Even in death they retain their soldier rank and name.

Occasionally there may be unhappiness, but only for the new recruits. After carving their way through a few sieges they stop caring about anything anymore, and are at that point nearly immune to unhappy thoughts.

I leave them on training all year round. The barracks are situated in places where they can train in place, and the position they're in also doubles as a defensive position. When there is nothing to attack they will train on their own. If there is something to attack, they'll kill it, and go back to training.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »

Sure.  Just make sure the area they're training in is lavish, with high-value items throughout.  Engravings are nice, too.  Any hits to mood will be offset by the dwarven bling :).
It's a pretty big hit, though. You'll have to go for really nice stuff.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:39 pm »

The main obstacle is keeping them happy till they reach elite...when on duty i've noticed they dont eat at the dining rooms but only eat directly, no hope in getting a happy thought from dining in legendary rooms. Next is i never even seen them admiring furniture, so all that remains is their bedroom giving them a good thought plus here and there some like particular food or booze. I wonder what other ways a there to make them happy esp the markdworfs who take longer to reach elite and have to man the watchtowers...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »

They do dine in dining rooms, but you have to disallow them to carry food in the military menu. Carrying drinks is okay though. But indeed. Keeping them happy until they reach elite can be a bit of a problem.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »

what the hell...mine didnt. i mean i had five dining rooms for everyone yet the military dwarfs preferred eating directly while all the others enjoyed

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »

Mine train upon coming of age and don't care about anything anymore from all the invaders they've destroyed.

It's possible, but you need dwarves good enough to not die ever other skirmish.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 02:02:33 pm »

They do dine in dining rooms, but you have to disallow them to carry food in the military menu. Carrying drinks is okay though. But indeed. Keeping them happy until they reach elite can be a bit of a problem.

I've not seen any of my soldiers eat in dining room, they eats in the food stockpile even with carrying disabled or out of their pack if I let them grab a snack. I know because I've watched them, at least as of 34.09 and haven't changed as far back as I can remember to 40d. Only off-duty and civilians will eat in dining room, apparently.

On topic, I've never had major problem with military happiness, unless I'm stationing them too much while they're still a recruit, and I don't exactly give them good environment to be in. If they does get upset enough to flash red, I let them off-duty for a while to enjoy my fort and sticks them back on as soon as I notices they're not red, it usually only last until they're flashing soldiers :D

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »

I build their barracks directly between my main stairwell and the only inbound path to my fort.  I have two swordmasters that have been training non-stop for years without seeing any issues, and they're right there to inform the goblins/kobolds what our immigration policies are.

I'm going to add more now that my metal industry is picking up, but those two (and the traps made from goblinite weapons) have broken every ambush so far.  They just block/parry every attack and go full blender down the hall after the traps have scattered the goblin blob out a bit (silver spears from an earlier ambush, not many kills but lots of hilarity as goblins dive off and fall a z level)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:49 pm »

I call bullshit to this keeping them happy stuff

I was training my military full time, 24/7, with the only breaks being meals, in a relatively small room, with nothing but the general happiness and the "took joy in slaughter", and the only one I had go unhappy was the one that had all 21 war dogs die in battle (training for at least 5 seasons)
On the contrary I give my Dwarves all royal bedrooms with the finest selection of boozes available in the land. There's around 120 or so full time military Dwarves out of a population of 120 or so Dwarves, and I can say this happiness stuff works. It keeps them productive when off duty (MASONRY OR FARMING/WEAVING!) and it keeps their combat effectiveness up. No point winning the battle if your guys are just going to go insane off duty. Eventually they become hardened sons of Urist and you can forget about the pleasantries, but it really helps to keep them in a constant blood fueled state of ecstasy, so that they happily soldier through death, injury and undead attacks. This makes them get through tragedy easier, and by extension become completely empathy void soldiers capable of fighting till the bitter end.

OH AND VERY IMPORTANT THING TO SPEED UP A FULL TIME MILITARY!

FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING AND MORE!

BRING

PROFICIENT

TEACHERS

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:01 pm »

I've not seen any of my soldiers eat in dining room, they eats in the food stockpile even with carrying disabled or out of their pack if I let them grab a snack. I know because I've watched them, at least as of 34.09 and haven't changed as far back as I can remember to 40d. Only off-duty and civilians will eat in dining room, apparently.

On topic, I've never had major problem with military happiness, unless I'm stationing them too much while they're still a recruit, and I don't exactly give them good environment to be in. If they does get upset enough to flash red, I let them off-duty for a while to enjoy my fort and sticks them back on as soon as I notices they're not red, it usually only last until they're flashing soldiers :D

Yeah, I guess it's the off duty part. My dwarves train 8-11 months per year, so they have at least one month off duty time. Most of my military do have the 'dined in a legendary dining room lately' thought.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »

Dunno, i give them 4-5 beds, a 3x1 food/drink stockpile and they usually dont complain.
Of course engraving the baracks helps, as well as a metal armor rack.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4