Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135206 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1125 on: October 26, 2015, 11:20:01 am »

It really should have been "How many nits would a nitpick pick if a nitpick could pick nits?". Ugh, lazy forum posters these days...

:P Couldn't resist the urge to meta-meta-nitpick.

I thought about it, but last time I tried that people told me how unfunny I was. So it was on purpose.

Anyway, the whole argument about "Kryptonians are so advanced nothing matters" boils down to this  8)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:16 am »

No that is a pretty apt metaphor Sergius.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 26, 2015, 11:25:40 am »

Not to interrupt the nitpickgate, but I saw Ex Machina recently and some stuff didn't quite make sense to me

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:21 am »

Well there's something to infer about the way they reproduced. I think along the way their genetic scientists fucked up really bad and once the last generation with a little common sense or "normal" people died, all that was left was this self perpetuating society that didn't have any goals beyond keeping everything in it's current state.

That's it, Kryptonian society effectively ceased to exist long before superman was born, only a mockery of said society, remaining only in image with these "automatons" beings maintaining it, basically biological robots with the illusion of awareness but limited to their preprogrammed role in this doomed play of a society.

Which further the question, what made superman dad's special?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:27:55 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 26, 2015, 11:27:16 am »

Just like in the man of steel. Why the fuck didn't they simple evacuated to another planet. They did have colonies that were promptly abandoned, spaceships very much capable of going to space going unused, because fuck logic, we need a plot.

Again, at least some of the colonies were sabotaged by Eradicator
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 26, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »

Aka the "ConvenientPlotPoint-inator"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 26, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »

Aka the "ConvenientPlotPoint-inator"

Well no, because the way it is introduced in the stories is that you slowly unfold the mystery as to why there are no Kryptonians.

It isn't that they go "NOPE! no Kryptonians because handwavium"

A series of fatal events and circumstances lead to their demise. The major one being the sudden and unexpected destruction of Krypton. Want to learn about some of the other events that surrounded them? Read this comic!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:33:04 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 26, 2015, 12:33:44 pm »

I disagree, anything that's added which doesn't change the plot, merely covers a plothole is exactly "handwavium". Because if it wasn't the Eradicator it would have been something else which created the exact same outcome. Could be solar storms or anything. It was different things in the different era reboots of Superman. Therefore The Eradicator is interchangeable with any of those other explanations of the same thing and is a hand-wave gesture. The very fact that it's a recognizable plot hole is why we have duct tape like the Eradicator or the completely incompatible alternatives in every single Superman continuity.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:38:45 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 26, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »

The very fact that it's a recognizable plot hole is why we have duct tape like the Eradicator or the completely incompatible alternatives in every single Superman continuity.

Well no, it never has to be answered.

Here is a question: Why didn't any of Bruce Wayne's extended family adopt him? Did he not have any? Well that is incredibly unlikely. Did they not want him? He is rich why wouldn't they?

Do these questions need to be answered? No.

Can they be used as stories? Yes.

That is what the Eradicator is... A story that adds onto the demise of Krypton. Something the JLA cartoon did well when they combined him with Brainiac (a great touch)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:43:17 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 26, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »

No, they did cover that in the Silver Age. His uncle brought him up. So they clearly recognized that it was a plothole left over from Golden Age Batman.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:46:42 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 26, 2015, 12:45:03 pm »

No, they did cover that in the Silver Age. His uncle brought him up. So they clearly recognized that it was a plothole left over from Golden Age Batman.

Which is only Canon in the Silver Age.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 26, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »

Same deal for Superman though. Both the silver age reboots came with added plot-hole-filler.

Ok checked it out and Alfred raised Bruce Wayne in the more recent reboots. That's still a guardian however. He might have been named the executor of the estate.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:49:41 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:32 pm »

Okay

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 26, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »

I was talking, you know, only of the movie itself. Now after I remembered that they reproduced with test tube babies genetically engineered it makes kind of sense.

And now I imagine what could have been wrong. They started to implement that kind of reproduction until it became the only way, ditching the old dirty ways. Obviously it was superior because you had perfect soldiers, medics, administrators, researchers, engineers, workers, pizza delivery guys, etc.... however down the road all you had was that. As regular horizontal-limbo-made kryptonians died out, all that was left was this perfect individuals bound to... nothing beyond their duties. There couldn't be any innovation, all its pre-set, that would mean that any new tech the automation researchers would develop would be explored and then ditched unless it helped the ways already established.

My guess, again as someone seeing the movie and "not knowing anything else" of the background material, is that all this happened on the stage of space exploration, and even I would dare to say that the "genetic superior" individuals went out their way to extinguish the regular kryptonians, eventually wiping out all possible colonies.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 26, 2015, 07:35:02 pm »

Ok here is one from an old TV show: Wishbone (it is about a talking dog who loves books who retells stories with him as the main character)

So this kid's mother basically lied to him and told him that he was deathly allergic to things that would keep him under control (Chocolate) and things she found distasteful.

So she said he was allergic to dogs because she noticed this house he was going to sleep over at had a dog and she was likely afraid of dogs.

Now they get a air filtering machine, kick Wishbone out of the room, and basically make the room dog free... Then the kid goes to sleep

When he awakens the filtering machine malfunctioned and broke a fuse and Wishbone slept with him the entire night.

Now he learns he wasn't allergic to dogs... and the mother apologizes

But no one is mad or embarrassed about what went down.... No one says "Hey, so... You thought I was deathly allergic to dogs, and you exposed me to something that we thought could kill me. Yeah I am never sleeping over at your house again"
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88