Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135282 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #465 on: February 16, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

Why do I suddenly feel like I've jumped into a Kingdom Hearts forum?

I don't know... Kingdom Hearts tends to say "Light" a lot more then it says "heart"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #466 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:30 am »

Would that mean... that... Disney was trying to say, originally, that people are inherantly good?
-That concepts of good and evil do not exist unless we make them so.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:18 am »

I see what Neonivek is saying. It really sounds like they are trying to tarnish the original message behind those scenes. It also raises the question of why the animals don't try that with everyone in the search for food.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »

It is in fact SO torturous that when swimming you are sometimes advised not to physically help someone who is drowning, if they can save themselves, because people who are drowning will uncontrollably pull you down.
The way I heard it you're supposed to start the rescue with a full strength punch, to stun the drowning man a little so he doesn't take you down with him.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 16, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »

Ok a kids movie (that turns out was a pilot for a show) made by disney called Princess Sophie.

I know this is for young children but one part enraged me for some reason.

Basically you know how in really old disney films the princesses seemingly charmed all the animals?

Well this movie/show wanted to explain how that worked so one of the animals who can speak to the princess main character says that the reason animals do that is... They are hungry and they wanted food.

NO DISNEY! NO! The reason the animals huddled around Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella was not because they were hungry and wanted food, which they never got ANYWAY, it was because they were so pure of heart, such good people, that even animals saw their true nature became enthralled with them. You are NOT going to turn all those animals into food grubby creatures who only helped them because they THOUGHT they might get something out of it.

In a time when a character whos character major character trait is being a "good and virtuous person" is a bad thing and being pure of heart is akin to being an alien. I'd prefer my Pure Hearted characters to be untainted by these reimaginings. It is like everyone forgot what it means to try to be a good person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmmVXIbYm8

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

Oh man, Miles Quaritch from Avatar. What a lad.

He tries to get the Naa'vi to let some engineers dig up some generic sci-fi minerals, peacefully. Three times. On the fourth after Jake Sully finishes being incompetent again he tries to get them to move non-violently, only ever using weapons that harm their tree home after the smurfs try killing them. Quaritch's move to blow up their Tree-God only happens after 2000 warriors show up at the border of the colony.
I don't see why this is supposed to be the BBEG. If he actually does show up in the sequel (somehow), happy days for humanity all round.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:15 pm »

Oh man, Miles Quaritch from Avatar. What a lad.

He tries to get the Naa'vi to let some engineers dig up some generic sci-fi minerals, peacefully. Three times. On the fourth after Jake Sully finishes being incompetent again he tries to get them to move non-violently, only ever using weapons that harm their tree home after the smurfs try killing them. Quaritch's move to blow up their Tree-God only happens after 2000 warriors show up at the border of the colony.
I don't see why this is supposed to be the BBEG. If he actually does show up in the sequel (somehow), happy days for humanity all round.
He'll be cloned. I think on /tg/ he was designated a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 17, 2013, 11:40:51 pm »

Quaritch is an amazing dude.
When I watch the movie, I always think of him and his marines as the good guys.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 18, 2013, 02:29:46 am »

I want to see re-cut a version of the home tree scene that makes the marines look heroic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 18, 2013, 02:32:23 am »

I want to see re-cut a version of the home tree scene that makes the marines look heroic.

"The Tree has a gun and it is pointed at that school bus full of school children, Nuns, and Kittens!"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2013, 02:25:41 pm »

Ok here is one that isn't towards one movie but any movie that uses it as a plot point.

Diplomatic Immunity

I've never seen diplomatic immunity used correctly. It isn't immunity to the law but an immunity to the laws of the land.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »

This is actually the way basically everyone I know interprets the movie. I mean, come on - This guy runs out into poisonous atmosphere to try to take pistol pot shots at the bad guys. He pilots a construction mech to do battle against a hostile alien life form (just like in Aliens!). He's all around loyal, a dedicated bad-ass, and from all appearances an effective and well liked leader (by those not staging coups).

He's an antagonist, but it would be trivial for him to fill the role of protagonist just as easily, and most people I know were really rooting for him to win in that final battle.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2013, 02:36:04 pm »

This is actually the way basically everyone I know interprets the movie. I mean, come on - This guy runs out into poisonous atmosphere to try to take pistol pot shots at the bad guys. He pilots a construction mech to do battle against a hostile alien life form (just like in Aliens!). He's all around loyal, a dedicated bad-ass, and from all appearances an effective and well liked leader (by those not staging coups).

He's an antagonist, but it would be trivial for him to fill the role of protagonist just as easily, and most people I know were really rooting for him to win in that final battle.
And he's being cloned to come back. He's like a male Ripley.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2013, 02:47:26 pm »

I just watched the last Games of Thrones episode, and what's with the super-soldier? You can't just walk into a supermarket and buy an army of übersoldiers that are super-loyal and don't feel pain.

and why are they selling tham? When you have an army of supersoldier, you just take the money, not trade it for...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88