Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135278 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »

No real spoilers here but in the Hunger games the hunger games are gambled on. This is something they added for the movie that wasn't in the books.
Are you sure it wasn't in the books?
I remember the participants being sponsored by a bunch of people, who could drop them supplies.
(Haven't seen the movie, by the way.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »

Drowning is relativity painless.
Which is what I was always told, but having met people who had to be fished out of water and brought back to life I know better. The two people I know who nearly died drowning both said breathing in the water made their lungs feel as if they were burning.
It's the being taken out of water that sucks after breathing it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 11, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »

No real spoilers here but in the Hunger games the hunger games are gambled on. This is something they added for the movie that wasn't in the books.
Are you sure it wasn't in the books?
I remember the participants being sponsored by a bunch of people, who could drop them supplies.
(Haven't seen the movie, by the way.)
There was unofficial betting and official donating money to buy incredibly expensive items.
sponsoring.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:03 am »

Drowning is relativity painless.
Which is what I was always told, but having met people who had to be fished out of water and brought back to life I know better. The two people I know who nearly died drowning both said breathing in the water made their lungs feel as if they were burning.

Agree with this. Actually heard an interview from someone caught in a tsunami, she said that drowning was one of the most agonizing experiences of her life. Though I think it was more horrifying that when you're struggling to breathe, you instinctively suck in more air, and end up sucking in more water. It's so bad that it's used as a torture method.

Maybe asphyxiation from running out of oxygen and passing out is painless, idk. But I'm pretty sure having water in your airways hurts.

(I know others said this, but this is the nitpicking thread after all)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 15, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »

It is in fact SO torturous that when swimming you are sometimes advised not to physically help someone who is drowning, if they can save themselves, because people who are drowning will uncontrollably pull you down.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

Ohh I think it was just a joke anyhow for laughter then a berration. Though I am probably just projecting because that was pretty funny.

Though since I posted I should probably think of a nitpick that ruined a movie for me.

The Hunger Games
(I wonder if I mentioned it already)

No real spoilers here but in the Hunger games the hunger games are gambled on. This is something they added for the movie that wasn't in the books. Now this may not seem like a lot but to me it actually creates the largest flaw in the entire movie. If the Hunger games are intentionally manipulated and openly manipulated then the presence of gambling, OFFICIAL gambling, is something that simply cannot exist. The existance of official gambling would mean that people would desire a certain degree of fairness.

I know I saw a show that had gambling on a gameshow where there was a lot of manipulation behind the scenes... but what it was based upon wasn't (Who would kill who basically) and the cheating aspects were hidden from the public, and the gambling was mostly unofficial and likely illegal anyway.
I thought gambling was in the book.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It would still make sense for gambling on the games to take place, seeing as the games are half mindless entertainment, half keeping the peasants in line. The games are mostly manipulated to keep the contestants from just camping down, not fighting each other. Or just killing someone to keep the ratings up.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »

Ok a kids movie (that turns out was a pilot for a show) made by disney called Princess Sophie.

I know this is for young children but one part enraged me for some reason.

Basically you know how in really old disney films the princesses seemingly charmed all the animals?

Well this movie/show wanted to explain how that worked so one of the animals who can speak to the princess main character says that the reason animals do that is... They are hungry and they wanted food.

NO DISNEY! NO! The reason the animals huddled around Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella was not because they were hungry and wanted food, which they never got ANYWAY, it was because they were so pure of heart, such good people, that even animals saw their true nature became enthralled with them. You are NOT going to turn all those animals into food grubby creatures who only helped them because they THOUGHT they might get something out of it.

In a time when a character whos character major character trait is being a "good and virtuous person" is a bad thing and being pure of heart is akin to being an alien. I'd prefer my Pure Hearted characters to be untainted by these reimaginings. It is like everyone forgot what it means to try to be a good person.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #457 on: February 15, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »

Could you go onto that further and say that since animals are used as the base instinctual comparison AND the gauge of moral pureness that Disney's message was of the inherent instinctual nature of humanity?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:10 am »

Would that mean... that... Disney was trying to say, originally, that people are inherantly good?

Because that is almost never done anymore. Stories are always about trying to teach us how terrible people are and how everyone is a terrible evil person.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:01 am »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:04:25 pm by penguinofhonor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:02 am »

Ok a kids movie (that turns out was a pilot for a show) made by disney called Princess Sophie.

I know this is for young children but one part enraged me for some reason.

Basically you know how in really old disney films the princesses seemingly charmed all the animals?

Well this movie/show wanted to explain how that worked so one of the animals who can speak to the princess main character says that the reason animals do that is... They are hungry and they wanted food.

NO DISNEY! NO! The reason the animals huddled around Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella was not because they were hungry and wanted food, which they never got ANYWAY, it was because they were so pure of heart, such good people, that even animals saw their true nature became enthralled with them. You are NOT going to turn all those animals into food grubby creatures who only helped them because they THOUGHT they might get something out of it.

In a time when a character whos character major character trait is being a "good and virtuous person" is a bad thing and being pure of heart is akin to being an alien. I'd prefer my Pure Hearted characters to be untainted by these reimaginings. It is like everyone forgot what it means to try to be a good person.

Come on, that's hyperbole if you give it some consideration. They've obviously had problems with children mimicking Snow White and the rest without realizing what animals are in it for. As for pure hearted characters, Incorruptible pure pureness makes not for a interesting story, characterization or immersion.

This isn't really a plot hole or anything, but Django Unchained was so Atticus Finchy. If there's one thing I've learned from pop culture, it's that black people are completely incapable of overcoming their hardships on their own. They always need a benevolent white person there to help them.

I mean, yeah, there were some white people like that in history. But we've got great biographies of black people teaching themselves to read, buying their own freedom, and so on. In movies there's always got to be a white person there for that to happen.

I swear, someday I'm going to see a movie about Malcolm X and he's going to have a white best friend that inspires him or something.

I wouldn't complain about Atticus. His role does makes sense. My complaints about Django Unchained would be making what looks like a action/comedy movie about slavery. A lick of realism would be nice. I don't know about Lincoln, but i doubt that gave a particularly balanced view either.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:42 am »

Come on, that's hyperbole if you give it some consideration. They've obviously had problems with children mimicking Snow White and the rest without realizing what animals are in it for. As for pure hearted characters, Incorruptible pure pureness makes not for a interesting story, characterization or immersion.

That isn't true. If anything being pure of heart is one of the biggest weaknesses you can have. It means that you are beyond hatred and that no matter what happens you can see the goodness in people. There is easily an interesting story in just that premise alone especially if they are in an imperfect world or if the issues aid themselves to that situation.

Especially since "Black Hearted" isn't considered "boring" it is just handled much better some of the time. While people who are "Pure of Heart" tend to be made into side characters with few exceptions. Few very notable exceptions.

As for Pure Hearted Main characters being bad. Winnie the Pooh is pure of heart (Heck I believe Piglet is also Pure of Heart as well... I love Piglet). Mind you Pooh is big hearted and Piglet is kind hearted... or maybe they are both kind hearted and Pooh is also big hearted.

Also your reasoning has one major flaw in terms of the animals. The show is asking her to FEED the animals. Something you especially don't do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:39:25 am by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 16, 2013, 09:51:01 am »

There's a difference between good, and incorruptible pure pureness. Winnie could make mistakes, was greedy for honey, etc, but a fundamentally good character. I took what you stated as the animals having said they were doing it for themselves in a only in it for the money kind of way rather then food means animals will obey your every whim.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:07 am »

There's a difference between good, and incorruptible pure pureness. Winnie could make mistakes, was greedy for honey, etc, but a fundamentally good character.

Yes but nothing could ever make Winnie the Pooh ever hate someone or do something to knowingly hurt another.

That is Pure of Heart and in a way incorruptible as well.

Of course a "absolutely flawless character" can be boring. But I am talking about the Pure of Heart.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:54:40 am by Neonivek »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 16, 2013, 10:06:46 am »

Why do I suddenly feel like I've jumped into a Kingdom Hearts forum?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 88