Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135326 times)

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #420 on: February 10, 2013, 02:33:06 am »

I have a similar issue with plots that require someone to be mistaken for someone else. While it is entertaining to see an assassin mistake their target for a Look/Name-Alike(tm), in most other situations it just feels like poor planning and stupidity beyond measure. Would it kill someone to ask: "Are you the Inspector?" when they met the Inspector Look-Alike On The Same Train(tm)?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 10, 2013, 12:15:40 pm »

It's not a nitpick so much as wondering what's going on in district 9, but why the fuck did MNU put aliens in shanty towns and were about to try for concentration camps? No successful government or organization is that stupid, and they are called Mulit-National United. We do know that they're a hive society, and the leader caste of the ship was presumably killed off, so in my opinion the only way we'd have the balls to try that would be with a interstellar backer (Considering prawn weaponry...). What they were getting out of the deal is anyone's guess, considering they hadn't made any progress with the alien tech in 20 years and how utterly outmatched they were by it, along with their backers letting the aliens get away to come back in three years with reinforcements.

To be honest, this smells like a cold war proxy battle to me, which would make sense given the nature of interstellar WMD's, but to be so amazingly sloppy that any alien worth his salt, namely, Christopher, could come to the conclusion i have is a mystery, or possibly a setup. Perhaps they want them to lash out at we primitives to make a point. Who the hell knows. Throw in the idea that he was considering making the next movie a prequel, and the next movies going to be interesting whatever happens.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 10, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »

It is because District 9 is a movie about something that happened in real life... but they switched the people involved to aliens.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 10, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »

I'm aware. Nevertheless, there's quite a bit more real life to work with, as evidenced by the planned sequel. What will will he do next? Elysium sounds interesting, with the divide between the height of excess in a space station and a broken, ravaged, overpopulated world which will do anything to get to it. If that doesn't remind you of anything then i give up, though i get the feeling it wouldn't for some of all our contemporary's.
Reading a thinner book

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:04 pm »

Well the problem is that whenever someone does something like that... it is the elements of real life that clash with the movie itself as the events that allowed the original event to occur doesn't happen.

Thus district 9 feels very artificial.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 10, 2013, 12:40:09 pm »

A bit, yes, though from lack of information more then anything else.
Reading a thinner book

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:16 pm »

Well the first movie placed them there as a stopgap measure since they didn't know what to expect when they opened the movie, and the shanty town was hastily constructed to keep them there until they figured out what to do with them. Years pass and nothing happens because hey, beurocracy, lots of RL examples of it stalling stuff that is rather urgent no need to explain that much. The move that was happening was the next level of containment where they would pretty much isolate the aliens from humans by placing them in a guarded remote area. And also the ulterior motive of getting their hands on as much tech as possible.

And really guys, is it really so hard to imagine that a corporation can be blinded by greed and personal gain into doing stupid and nonsensical shit that ends up crippling it in the long run?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »

Not when there is a clear, blatant, and visible worldwide spaceship it isn't.
Reading a thinner book

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 10, 2013, 01:19:02 pm »

Well the first movie placed them there as a stopgap measure since they didn't know what to expect when they opened the movie, and the shanty town was hastily constructed to keep them there until they figured out what to do with them. Years pass and nothing happens because hey, beurocracy, lots of RL examples of it stalling stuff that is rather urgent no need to explain that much. The move that was happening was the next level of containment where they would pretty much isolate the aliens from humans by placing them in a guarded remote area. And also the ulterior motive of getting their hands on as much tech as possible.

And really guys, is it really so hard to imagine that a corporation can be blinded by greed and personal gain into doing stupid and nonsensical shit that ends up crippling it in the long run?
It's almost like it happens in real life!
My god. They're smarter than they appear.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 10, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »

The issue is that in real life... things tend not to be as public and honestly reported.

They transported this into the modern day real life without the things that allow this sort of thing to happen.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 10, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »

I watched Avengers yesterday for the first time.
Now I'm wondering why the portal into space didn't start sucking atmosphere into the void.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 10, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »

Now I'm wondering why the portal into space didn't start sucking atmosphere into the void.

Gravity

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:08 pm »

Gravity
But the portal didn't open very far up...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:33 pm »

It is possible the portal was designed to create a field that stops atmosphere so that it doesn't create a powerful backdraft.

Afterall it isn't like they just shot bombs out of that portal until everyone was dead.

However this is the same logic as "Why don't people who are transported in startrek get hurt by the air, dust, and other particles?"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 10, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »

cuz they ARE those particles.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 88