Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18467 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Impire
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2013, 05:32:05 am »

Yep, I'm not having fun. Too repetitive, too tedious. Not a bad game per se, but not enough fun to warrant going through the entirety of it.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2013, 07:13:52 am »

I have the same feeling:
Playing the game hoping that the fun will start at some point.
Alas I know from experience that the fun never starts, like WoW, you keep thinking that the next zone will be fun and not full of re-skinned wolves.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »

I feel that some of the tedium could be removed if you were not capped on squads themselves, but rather could form squads at whim and only a few of them could have a 'captain' that allows them to level up together to earn squad skills and such, or be sent raiding. Then you could have a squad or two patrolling your dungeon while you take your mass of chaos with Baal to explore the quest sections. And maybe give Baal some innates or upgrades that influence nearby minions to function as sort of one large squad.

Also, it would be nice if there were hotkey commands for certain functions, like teleporting the squad or sending them to eat or train, rather than having to use the squad management window or issue the commands via context menus.

I'd like to play it more but the bugs range from irritating to debilitating right now.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »

And maybe give Baal some innates or upgrades that influence nearby minions to function as sort of one large squad.

You can sorta do that by having all your non-squad minions set to follow Baal.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:14 pm »

Gee, sounds like you guys just set yourselves up for disappointment. I find most of the flaws easy to get around and honestly, if you have a bunch of spare (and trained to level 2) groupies sitting around in your kitchen, refilling squads is so simple.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »

I'm rather disappointed with the game too.

Resources are almost meaningless. You just need them to build new rooms, and in the case of gold, to unlock a new squad. You won't ever pay maintenance.

The game has almost nothing automated, your squads can't even decide to eat when they are hungry. This makes playing annoying instead of fun, and everything looks static, apart from the workers doing always the same thing (and not even fleeing when they are attacked).

The game has almost no AI.

Another bomb I bought from Paradox (I bought King Arthur 2 ans SOTS 2, though SOTS 2 later repaid itself). I think I won't ever learn.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »

Hasn't the game been out for less than a week? Things get ironed out. I imagine most of the bugs will be addressed in due time. The not auto-eating, the workers not fleeing, the AI, all of it seems likely to be addressed. Like I said it seems like a lot of people set themselves up for disappointment by expecting "Dungeon Keeper done right!" right out of the gate. But something like that takes time and feedback, and I think Paradox is on the right track here. At least it's better than most of the other dungeon crap that has been released in the past few years, eh? Well that's what I think anyway.

I recommend picking this game up later when it has had some patches if you feel disappointed now. Seems like the mechanics could be touched up in ways that would really improve gameplay.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

Hasn't the game been out for less than a week? Things get ironed out. I imagine most of the bugs will be addressed in due time. The not auto-eating, the workers not fleeing, the AI, all of it seems likely to be addressed. Like I said it seems like a lot of people set themselves up for disappointment by expecting "Dungeon Keeper done right!" right out of the gate. But something like that takes time and feedback, and I think Paradox is on the right track here. At least it's better than most of the other dungeon crap that has been released in the past few years, eh? Well that's what I think anyway.

I recommend picking this game up later when it has had some patches if you feel disappointed now. Seems like the mechanics could be touched up in ways that would really improve gameplay.
I'm not sure if the units not automatically eating thing is actually a bug or just something they didn't bother to do...

Personally I'm not really disappointed, that would imply I really expected it to be very good. And I am vaguely hopeful that this game could be improved to be a pretty decent game, but experience has told me that if the game isn't at least halfway decent when it comes out the door, then they're probably not going to make it any better.

Still, I could be wrong about that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »

I tried it, went in fully expecting it to not be Dungeon Keeper.

It's basically an extremely simple RTS with needless amounts of clicking. It's like they tried to hide their RTS behind pretense of a management game of some sort. So instead of being able to order and control units the same way as Age of Empires, you end up having to micro units to do completely pointless and futile things like eating and putting units into squads. There isn't even any strategy involved. You click units and charge them. That's it. If they die you make some more and send them in again. The voicework and plot was somewhat interesting but honestly the UI and controls are just too much. Even the combat and the like is pretty subpar. There's nothing particularly special about this game, it's very meh.

Unit design is bland and boring, being that a good majority of your units look identical for the most part. You barely get any control over designing your own dungeon, to such a point where I wish they just removed the entire underground setting.

So I have no idea what it is. Clearly, and VERY clearly, it wants to be Dungeon Keeper. It wants you treating your units like they are units. It wants you to feed and train them and grow attached to them.

But at the same time it provides no provisions to actually do so. Your units have no brains at all. They couldn't even tie their shoelaces if you didn't ask them to do it manually. They die like flies, and then you just summon another bunch of them with your unlimited money.

One thing that particularly aggravated me was how it treats normally fun things like training and torture. It reduces it to completely meaningless numbers. Heroes that get taken to a prison and get transmuted into gold after 25 seconds. The hell is that. Or they can be used to train units for another bunch of seconds. And after which they disappear. You can't even schedule the actual training, they get sent there immediately and after which it starts counting down whether anyone is actually training or not.

There are many... many other things that irritated me while playing and while I could go on and on. Starting from the ridiculous impenetrable barriers that cover half the map to the soullessness of it all. I think suffice it to say this isn't so much a game as it is a sequence of code with no purpose, no life, and no reason to exist. Like a depressed cubicle worker playing solitaire.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »

Two things that really hamper this as a dungeon game:

Levels are arranged in the most boring fashion. The hero gate is always RIGHT next to your first treasury, without fail. This significantly reduces your options for dungeon building. Forget all the rooms you can make, their arrangement and place is all secondary to that first intersection where the heroes' choices are "ruin the player" or "not ruin the player."

I've had 1 honest to god good start in Chapter 2. There was about 10 tiles between the gate and the treasury. It was still the first thing on the heroes' path but at least there was space between the first intersection and it. So at the first intersection, I made one path a loop full of traps. About 75% of the time, the heroes walked that path and got killed by them.

The second decent setup in Chapter 2 was only that way because I built a monster den, which when active drew heroes 100% of the time down a long, winding corridor with traps to a room where I could teleport minions to support the Minotaur on the throne. Otherwise...the treasury was the first room they'd hit.

The second major thing cramping this as a dungeon game is, as people have said...zero AI. And that's probably the most disappointing thing. Putting guys on patrol gives the false impression of life and activity...but the fact AI won't eat on its own is what really kind of drags the whole game down. I can see why they probably did it. Anyone who has played DF can. But DKII got around the problem by just letting you grab and teleport people, which usually retasked them. DKII was smart in that it didn't have you waste time and clicks on stuff like this, keeping your attention free for combat. Impire kind of grinds down your attention by requiring you to be constantly vigilant for ladders and food. Food stops being so much of an issue when you get the squad mascots that regenerate aggressiveness. That and keeping them following Baal pretty much ends the feeding game with your squads.

There's several points of inconsistency or poor execution that are really, really irksome. The fact the zoomed in mode is identical to management mode except in what it shows and allows is really annoying. You can command and select unsquaded units from management mode, you simply can't see your selection. You can even order those guys to attack stuff from management mode. Why the hell didn't they bother to include unit highlight in the management mode view? Instead they swap in these giant fucking icons that become impossible to click when guys are bunched up. Icons get hidden under other icons, making you visually lose track of your squads...For example, when ladders show up and I teleport a squad next to them.....they do not immediately attack it. No, I have to click the ACTUAL LADDER OBJECT from the management view to ensure they'll attack it. It even shows up as a tiny green blob under the (totally unclickable!) yellow ladder icon. A tiny green blob that is what your UNITS WOULD LOOK LIKE IF THEY'D DEIGNED TO ALLOW THEM TO BE SEEN FROM THE MANAGEMENT VIEW! And if I teleport the squad too close to the ladder, their icon in management mode and its click box over rides the ladder object. Meaning I have to zoom in to target the ladder. Op, and if I teleported the squad from the Squad menu, I'd better remember to click their icon first before ordering them to attack that ladder, because the squad isn't actually selected. Oh, and clicking on an enemy icon in management mode doesn't actually make the unit attack them, no, you have to click on the ground next to them, even though in zoomed in mode, right clicking on an enemy squad makes your squad attack them just fine.........Gggggrrraaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! Just be fucking consistent, for god's sake!

Some restrictions are over the top in the game, to prevent issues. You can't build within 2 tiles of the edge of the map even though it's marked as digable soil. You can't build rooms next to each other, there's almost always got to be a 1 tile gap between unbuildable stone surrounding each room. And since it's so dark, you often can only barely see the undiggable edges of stuff. Digging corridors is likewise problematic, they often don't want to turn or connect, even though you clearly have the room, some algorithm is like "Nope, sorry, that's too close for me." Sometimes the corridors are misaligned from where you want to connect to, forcing you to dig in twists and turns until it connects in a way that the game is happy with. There's no way to cancel digging or room designations, meaning everything you lay out is permanent. There isn't any way to destroy rooms which means you can never destroy that first, vulnerable treasury. And even if you could, the game would probably interpret that as you losing, since if even ONE Of your treasuries is destroyed, it's game over.

It's like the devs realized that, within the campaign structure, the only way they could really challenge the player was by putting their weaknesses where they had to be constantly defended.

And just within in working gameplay....in a game that's about building units, skilling them up, upgrading their gear, and arranging them in special ways to activate special benefits....Not giving the player any real control in combat just leads to a lot of dead units and a lot of busy work rebuilding squads. Heroes get strong enough later on that 6 vs. 20 + Baal means you're probably going to lose 1 caster or tank. I haven't seen a squad able to win a 1v1 fight with another squad of heroes since the early game without losing someone. That's why I send all my troops to do anything: to respond to ladders and hero invasions and to explore the map. Why take the chance of losing units, especially when you KNOW the other 2 to 3 are sitting in the dungeon doing nothing except getting hungry anyways? The only reason to not take more units is it's slightly less micro to blob around or teleport in 1 or 2 fewer units.

It turns out there is a way to make squads attack specific targets. You can set squads to attack specific marked targets (heroes marked for Extraction, Training or Imprisonment.) I'll never use that, because there's usually enough time to click a few heroes for those marks before they turn into a clusterfuck of highlighted objects and names. There's no way you could do it with precision, and it's yet again more click-holding on a mass of shit that's constantly moving around. Gee, you know what would make this so much easier? A fucking pause button!

The pacing is surely an issue, because I feel like I've spent 4 levels doing things that could have been addressed in 2.

Lastly, it's kind of annoying to me in a building game when I'm not allowed the full use of everything, that I've played mission after mission to use. Crunching the numbers, there are not enough DEC points available to be earned to build all structures, all units and to get every upgrade. There simply isn't, by the end of the game. Which means you have to pick and choose which upgrades you want, which rooms you want, and which units you can live without. Normally I'm ok with "fewer options can result in better gameplay." Not in a dungeon building game though. I want to see the wealth of my realm spread out before me, build the super dungeon, ect...And the fact I find myself grinding DEC points (the only reason I bother to capture heroes anymore, or lay all my traps) just kind of adds insult to injury. I grind and do all this stuff, and I still don't get to have everything.

I don't feel totally burned by the game, not like I did Dungeons. There's a small nugget of sim goodness supported by the visuals and the atmosphere, and a core game that would be fun if it weren't all of the above. The game is still less of a dungeon sim than I thought going in though, knowing that it was more of an RTS. That's ok, those are disappointments I guess I could live with. What's really a problem is the basic things Impire fails to do, to support its own gameplay and the things it actively does to make it tedious, repetitive and annoying to click. If you're a meticulous kind of gamer, Impire will grind you down with the amount you'll be required to do to run at optimum.

I don't remember, did DKII have hero invasions in the campaign mode? Like regular, constant hero invasions? Because both Dungeons and Impire, I've decided one of the most unfun, annoying parts of them both is them throwing missions at you while you're also being invaded by heroes. It makes everything a deadline, clicking as fast as you can and trying to get all your ducks in a row before the next scheduled invasion. And again, I wouldn't be bothered by that even in half if I had a pause button.

I'm going to start referring Impire as a dungeon themed RTS, because I think saying there's anything actually sim about it is disingenuous. Buy it if you want an ok dungeon-themed RTS. If you're not interested in that, with all it implies, stay away. This is not the dungeon sim you are looking for. I will say though that, compared to Dungeons, there's a lot of gameplay and content for $20. Some of it may be due to excessively slow pacing and some redundancy, but there's plenty of meat on the game. I could see MP being a lot better because you're approaching the game on the the terms it was truly designed for. The systems: the resources, the feeding, the squad caps, the control schemes, the DEC point restrictions...all make way more sense in a MP context than they do in a SP one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:16:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2013, 05:02:44 pm »

I don't feel totally burned by the game, not like I did Dungeons. There's a small nugget of sim goodness supported by the visuals and the atmosphere. The game is less of a dungeon sim than I thought going in though, knowing that it was more of an RTS. That's ok, those are disappointments I guess I could live with. What's really a problem is the basic things Impire fails to do, to support its own gameplay and stop it from becoming tedious, repetitive and annoying to click.
That's your TL;DR right there...

I don't remember, did DKII have hero invasions in the campaign mode? Like regular, constant hero invasions? Because both Dungeons and Impire, I've decided one of the most unfun, annoying parts of them both is them throwing missions at you while you're also being invaded by heroes. It makes everything a deadline, clicking as fast as you can and trying to get all your ducks in a row before the next scheduled invasion. And again, I wouldn't be bothered by that even in half if I had a pause button.
It's been a looong time since I played either DK1 or DK2, but I'm pretty sure both games did regular hero invasions, though I seem to recall that invasions usually got successively harder, either because defeating successively harder invasions was actually the whole objective of the level, or because said invasions were actually meant to motivate you to complete the level (because eventually the harder and harder invasions will destroy you), rather than just sit around gathering and training minions until finishing the level is easy as pie.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:57 pm »

No, in DK1 and 2 the invading heroes would either come at predetermined intervals or after a set amount of time depending on your current mission. Most of the time after you beat the current mission they would stop coming altogether. I can't really recall when they would increase in strength unless the mission called for it. They never really rushed you or anything except for a very small handful of missions. I can only remember one off the top of my head where apparently you were getting sieged by a major enemy force and you had to escape. 90% of the time you could take your time, and the game expected you to.

Sandbox was the only mode I can think of where the heroes come nonstop, but only if you want them to.

In any case, the two DK games did them very well and there were so many things you could do with the heroes. It didn't just boil down to killing them and turning them into numbers. You could convert them, torture them, use them for entertainment, slap them, throw them in prison to turn them into skeletons, sacrifice them, throw them in the arena, turn them into chickens and feed them to your minions, etc. etc.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »

You guys are awesome. These critiques read like a "How NOT to design unit AI and unit control interface" guide. :thumbsup:
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2013, 07:19:38 pm »

Nenjin had the best review I have seen on the game so far. I am frustrated with the developing game past chapter 3 but am hopeful that they will continue to improve the game a fair bit. As it stands I don't regret the purchase but after the first 4 hours with the game I had higher hopes.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »

Does treasure actually matter at all once you unlock your squads and such?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14