Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18459 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! - Impire
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »

Read about it on paradox's forums. For now I'm happy there's going to be a Dungeon keeper-ish game (or at least that's what it looks like so far). But it could really go either way as they have quite a challenge to live up to the expectations. Neonivek brought up some very valid points on Majesty 2, I think the really cramped maps were also a problem there compared to the original game.

I guess we just have to wait and see.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

You can't blame all the crashing on DKII, but some of it you can. Some of it is just Windows being derp with its attempting to emulate older hardware.

Part of it is Windows, yeah, but the unpatched version crashes very rarely without any need for running it in compatibility mode or anything. Plus, the vast majority of my older games don't have anywhere near as many problems with Windows as DKII with the patch. However, for those problems that can't be blamed on Windows or the patch...
Fun fact: Many of the game's problems on Windows XP, at least, came from SecuROM not liking it.

BUT I'M NOT MAD OR ANYTHING, HA HA HA.

Oh yeah. This is huge. DKII's copy protection is absolutely horrific in terms of compatibility. Versions with it removed run significantly smoother.

I'd say so far as problems with DKII goes, 50% is the later patches, 25% is Windows, and 25% is the copy protection being annoying.

Well that and also there are ways to fix the crashing. Which I did.

Please, then enlighten me. 1.7, on my Windows 7, didn't even LAUNCH properly until I added extra junk to the executable.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

ptw

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

I was nearly jumping with joy when I saw this thread. But after watching the trailer and seeing that Cyanide is making this, I'm going to be somewhat cautious.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 05:23:53 pm »

Interesting...  I heard good things about the Dungeon Keeper series, even though I've never played any of them, So I'm keeping a look at this.  In fact, I've been thinking of getting one of them, but which version would you consider the best one?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

Interesting...  I heard good things about the Dungeon Keeper series, even though I've never played any of them, So I'm keeping a look at this.  In fact, I've been thinking of getting one of them, but which version would you consider the best one?

I've been told that DK original is stable, balanced, and features reasonable AI. However, the view is a bit different, the graphics are a mess (though that's easy to get over), and the amount of content compared to DKII is very limited since to all intents and purposes the only thing you have is a campaign.

DKII is great, but make sure you get an edition with patch 1.3 or 1.51 and not 1.61 or 1.7, since the latter significantly detract from the experience. It's also really simple and straightforward to learn, so there's that.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:45 pm »

Gog.com ...  It has a working DKII, as in works with windows 7 and I think its only ever crashed once for me...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »

Let's see how this one fares..

Will it be approved?
Will it disappoint?

I'll keep my interest up but ever since I wasted money on Dungeons.. I'll keep my enthusiasm low.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:10 am »

So uh, I guess I wasn't really sure where to put this article, because it's not just about Impire but also the other two dungeon sim-esqe games Paradox is making.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/02/a-day-in-the-dungeons-of-mount-paradox/#more-118476

I was jesting that they were cornering the market on dungeon games, but I might get serious about that statement. Seriously, did they have a company meeting and do nothing but play DKII for the entire time...and emerge going "ALL DUNGEONS ALL THE TIME!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:55 am »

You can never have to many dungeon games Dood one of them has to be a Briliant game ! And if they all blow out I will eat a hat
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:25 am »

I do like Dungeon games. Unfortunately, Paradox seems incapable of backing anything that doesn't look like a cartoon. I'll go back to earlier comments made and say, g'damn, can someone please make a dungeon sim that at least tries to be a little more adult?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 09:17:39 am »

I read this thread and the constant theme of negativity seems to be about the cartoonyness of the games I mean you have not even played it yet so why judge the game now ? And I think it looks for the original dungeon keeps was cartoony... And you dont know how serious impire is going to be yet so stop judging :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

I read this thread and the constant theme of negativity seems to be about the cartoonyness of the games I mean you have not even played it yet so why judge the game now ? And I think it looks for the original dungeon keeps was cartoony... And you dont know how serious impire is going to be yet so stop judging :P

I'm going to counter your willful positivity by saying.....the games all have screen shots. If I can't judge the aesthetics of a game based on that, do I have to pay money for the right to do so?

Continue being optimistic, I'll continue doing what I do, thanks.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

I think from the screen shots the game looks good and dungeonkeeper like but hey that's my 2 cents and you need to be optimistic on these things Dood we might have a new spiritual successor to dungeon keeper after all these years ( I'm talking about impire )

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:36 am »

I have somehow forgot about that Dungeonland game, which is the most appealing, to me, out of the three.

Levels of expectations from AGoD and Impire just went down. Maybe its better this way as i wont get disappointed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14