Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18454 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! - Impire
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:00 am »

Fixed the link found the YouTube version on my shitty iPhone here it is again http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwFJ0NbChc

After watching the video I like it it really reminds me of evil genius along with going above ground to do evil acts I really like, the humor seems like shit -.- needs less of it but I like the graphics and how it looks I don't find it to "cartoonish" but I like what I see so far

well, the graphics on this one are theme fitting i think and are quite alright. the thing is this video just reinforce the notion that this will in fact be lacking any dungeon simness. it is looking like a much more RTS than a dungeon simulation game. however, it still have great potential. in those games there's a really thin line between a hit and miss though, so i still hold my expectations low.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:26 am »

I mean it isn't like Heros in Dungeon Keeper weren't sort of a resource. They carried gold, they could be put in dungeons for skeletons, tortured for information, or thrown into the temple as a sacrifice.

But... just the way "Squash beneath one's hoves, and grind their souls into dungeon building resources" that sets off several "This isn't dungeon keeper and they are just trying to make you think it is" alarms.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:38 am »

In DKII, heroes were a completely optional resource. You didn't carry your costs by constantly slaughtering heroes. They were really just there to test your dungeon. I much preferred that to a never ending wave of schmucks that HAD to be captured, HAD to be tortured, just to complete the level.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:23 am »

In DK2 killing heroes gave you:
Cash
Levels
Skeletons
Converted heroes
Vampires

But i think the main difference is that you didn't have to entertain the heroes first.

Impire: my confidence is quite low given that it's being developed by Cyanide... Blood Bowl was a mess only carried by the fact that BB is such an awesome game to begin with.

One of the very few things i actually know about this game, is that it's gonna have pre-shaped rooms, which is kinda of a bummer.
And you are gonna summon creatures out of mushrooms, not attract them... which also kinda sucks.

I love that we apparently get a wave of dungeon games finally, it has been long in the coming.
Maybe developers were spurred on by all the positive feedback before Dungeons release, and when they saw the game they thought "Plrrr! i can do better!" and then went and tried to make a proper game?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »

Cash
Levels
Skeletons
Converted heroes
Vampires

Cash (which you mostly mine for)
Experience for your monsters (only half necessary because of training room.)
More monsters
More monsters
More monsters

Heroes were separate from resource management in DKII, they were more of a perk on top of it if you put in the time. Compared to Dungeons where...they were basically the beginning and the end of the system.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »

In DKII, Heroes were either a minor resource (for reinforcements) or a threat just like other keepers.

In Dungeons, Heroes were the entire goddamn game.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

In Dungeon Keeper 2 you were righting the heroes and trying to rule the world.

In Dungeons you ran a dungeon-themed amusement park with a terrible safety record.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »

In Dungeon Keeper 2 you were righting the heroes and trying to rule the world.

In Dungeons you ran a dungeon-themed amusement park with a terrible safety record.
Which sounds a lot more awesome than it was.  :(
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »

I hope they do the genre justice but I'm not greatly hopeful.

Interesting...  I heard good things about the Dungeon Keeper series, even though I've never played any of them, So I'm keeping a look at this.  In fact, I've been thinking of getting one of them, but which version would you consider the best one?

I've been told that DK original is stable, balanced, and features reasonable AI. However, the view is a bit different, the graphics are a mess (though that's easy to get over), and the amount of content compared to DKII is very limited since to all intents and purposes the only thing you have is a campaign.

DKII is great, but make sure you get an edition with patch 1.3 or 1.51 and not 1.61 or 1.7, since the latter significantly detract from the experience. It's also really simple and straightforward to learn, so there's that.

I much prefer the original DK but DKII did improve things in a few areas. Drop stun being one that comes to mind along with a few of the new workshops. I didn't enjoy the levels so much in the second as they somehow felt game-y but you did also get standalone missions besides the campaign (might have only been with the Deeper Dungeons expansion). As for the graphics I loved the first one's at the time but they are dated now; In some ways they leave a lot more to the imagination than the 2nd which was quite cartoon-y.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »

A nice article from RPS that compares and contrasts Impire and A Game of Dwarves.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/24/managing-expectations-impire-and-a-game-of-dwarves/#more-121468

Worth the read IMO, as it really informs you that they are two different games going for two different themes. One, creative and aesthetic, designed for builders, designers and sandboxers. The other, a strategic game closer to campaign of DKII, where the focus is on building up monsters and minions and their abilities, instead of building the "ideal" dungeon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:27:31 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2012, 05:10:10 am »

Wow, that review has some awkward wording and pacing.

Still, interesting stuff in there.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

One of the very few things i actually know about this game, is that it's gonna have pre-shaped rooms, which is kinda of a bummer.
And you are gonna summon creatures out of mushrooms, not attract them... which also kinda sucks.

Where the hell do they get this shit from? Shrooms? What the hell.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 04:47:42 am »

So Impire is available for pre-order. Pre-order grants you free DLC packs on Steam. Anyone getting this?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:44 am »

Not sure, since I am saving money for other stuff..
However I have my eyes on another game which seem to be more faithful to the Dungeon Keeper franchise.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:30 am »

However I have my eyes on another game which seem to be more faithful to the Dungeon Keeper franchise.

What game?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14