Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18457 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! - Impire
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

I checked all the usual ones.

Part 2 of Chapter 1 turned out to be surprisingly long. For me, anyways. Having to clear out ladders then repel a wave of heroes always required bringing all my squads back, so I wouldn't end up losing experienced guys on routine defense. Setting all your unsquaded minions to patrolling helps a lot with ladders too. Combat slows down a bit as levels go up, but visually it's hard to really settle on what's going on. The health bars alternate between squads and enemies, squads don't seem to retarget when you click on individuals in a squad and...yeah. It's basically all about numbers and levels, and picking your initial target carefully. You can always teleport your squads out too if they start taking losses.

The Ratmen are pretty nasty. I was getting away with 1 Squad and Baal when there were two or even 3. But when it came to 4 or more it took at least 2 squads, and I'd usually lose an Overlord. Eventually I said screw it, and started zerg teleporting all my squads in to overwhelm large groups of ratmen. And I still managed to lose some guys, even fully leveled up. I'm playing on normal.

Feeding your guys seem to be really important for combat performance. Unfortunately, it's kind of tedious. I'm going to try to build several kitchens next time, to see if that speeds things up. But having to rotate guys around constantly to feed them, is kind of annoying. Especially all the un-squaded guys who have to be told individually to go eat. Same goes with upgrading armor and weapons. There's a bit of tedium and micromanagement that I think they really just should have automated. When a guy qualifies for an armor upgrade, just give it to him ><

There's some cool synergy going on with squad skills, and it looks promising for when you get non-Imp critters. (Unless monsters all offer a lot of the same abilities...) The stun on hit one, while only 5% chance per hit, was knocking guys down left and right. Really helped on the Ratmen to keep the damage down.

Traps are kind of ho-hum so far, largely because you can only place them in corridors. Maybe I'll find more use for them later when the dungeon entrance isn't within spitting distance of my treasury.

Speaking of gold, and resources in general...the way it works is kinda quirky. You split your stockpile between food and materials. Materials only come from heroes, treasure chests and raids. Food gets produced all the time. Gold is stored in the treasury and as far as I can tell it's only used for buying up the # of squads you have. You can get it off heroes by imprisoning them and ransoming, or from treasure chests. Basically, you never really lack of ways to get resources. You can raid topside and most locations refresh every 2 minutes or something. The more I play the more the game seems geared toward RTS and MP, with trying to set up consistent streams of resources, so you can crank out guys constantly and attack. When you're playing on campaign though, you end up maxing out storage pretty quick and not really worrying about food or materials or gold. If you want either, you just send out a raid, and 2 minutes later you have what you want. You need at least 3 stockpiles to have enough potential materials storage to build the top-end structures. So unless you build like..6 stockpiles, you'd end up out of food, and materials, just so you can make room for materials. It's...quirky.

That said, there are a few upper rooms that could lead to some fun. You can build a big monster lair that functions as a treasure, and certain minions set to guard it get bonuses to defense. Heroes are drawn toward the monster lairs. You could set up some kinda fun dungeon-esqe layouts with that.

There's a little bit of exploration too while you're doing the missions, where you can find runes to unlock them for later use.

All in all it's pretty fun. No pause and some hectic clicking teleporting squads around to respond to threats makes it a little bit less laid back than I'd hoped for. But it's pretty solid, and while not all the systems and mechanics are deep and awesome, there's still quite a lot of moving parts.

Also really enjoying the music, which is in .ogg format in the game directory. It really nails the impish evil spirit of the game...where the dialog tends to just ham it up. When I'm not having to listen to Baal or the sorcerer, I kinda feel like the bad guy from Legend playing this, which is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:00:45 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 01:56:06 am »

I found I could generally destroy the ladders with a single squad, at least when there's only 2 or 3 of them.  But it did require me to drop what I was doing with my other two squads and micro teleporting from ladder to ladder to make sure I didn't waste any time before the heroes arrived.  Though to be honest, at those levels (I'm assuming it ramps up later) I ended up just ignoring the ladders and waiting for the heroes to arrive then warping the defense squad straight to them - there didn't seem any particular advantage to forcing them to enter via the main entrance.

Traps picked up a bit once I unlocked wall traps (the slowdown floor trap seemed the most useful, especially combined with a couple damaging wall traps), but semi-pointless since the heroes seemed pretty unpredictable and the limit on how many traps you can lay is fairly low - I heavily trapped the area around my treasure room, but even when they laddered in on the same corridor that led to my treasure room, half the time they went the other way to attack the mushroom farm or similar.

And treasure was bugging me slightly because the storage cap was so low and I didn't like that all the excess treasure I was pulling in was just lost because I couldn't store it.  Technically I didn't actually need/want it, but losing it was nagging at the back of my mind :p

I'd like to be able to set units to auto-feed themselves at a certain % of aggression.  I suppose that might cause problems if you're trying to feed your main squads and the kitchens are clogged by reservists, but it would alleviate the level of micro required to keep all your unsquadded guys fed up.

Otherwise I'd echo most of what's already been said on the game.  I'm on mission 4 of chapter 1 I think - about 4-5 hours in - and so far it's been well worth the modest price they're asking for it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:00:44 am by Biowraith »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:51 am »

And treasure was bugging me slightly because the storage cap was so low and I didn't like that all the excess treasure I was pulling in was just lost because I couldn't store it.  Technically I didn't actually need/want it, but losing it was nagging at the back of my mind :p

Yeah, that's how resources feel. You kinda just watch yourself hit the cap and go "I want to spend this on something....but there's nothing to spend it on." Again, I figure it's mostly MP dynamics driving that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:40 am »

I am still loving the game and looking forward to spending more time with it, but in the interest of offering a counter view I would like to point out some criticisms from people that don't like it. Take them into consideration.

1) Pacing
2) Macro-management(often improperly called micromanagement)
3) Can be hard to focus fire on correct enemy
4) UI(seems to be fine for most, some complaints. YMMV)
5) Not DK
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

5) Not DK

OH WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!

Ok, all caps aside. There are games people will always refer to in their sales pitch in order to make you buy their game. Dungeon Keeper tends to be a pretty bad one because games that refer to dungeon keeper tend to be the furthest from it.

There was this other thread that actually outright lied and called its game: A mix between FTL and Space Station 13

What did it ACTUALLY have? It had a crew, interiors, and a small focus on internal damage.

Yet these are starting to become less and less the developers fault. It wasn't the creator who made that statement, it was Bay12 community itself.

Ohh well it doesn't mean anything towards Impire in the grand scheme of things. It just means not only should people be more careful when buying games but that people who make these topics should be a lot more honest about the games they are showing to others. Rather then trying to advertise it by any means nessisary.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:07:54 am by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35:12 am »

Perhaps we can get Scriptwolf to rename the thread? It is it's own game and deserves it's own title.
Let's also clarify the difference between Dungeons and Impire.

Dungeons: Drew dungeon overlord inspiration from DK but devolved into an emotional metagame with heroes.

Impire: Drew creature and dungeon management inspiration from DK and added squad combat.

3 different games and unless you treat them as such you will be unhappy.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Impire RTS dungeon like
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:17 am »

hows that ?

also not trying to advertise the game, from what i read about the game a lot earlier it did sounds lot like dungeon keeper and i was excited mhe.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:33:49 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:20 am »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:08 am »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:10 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impire
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:47 am »

finneeee  :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2013, 09:53:04 am »

hows that ?
A bit better.
how is it a bit ? what would you rename it ?

Oh I just said 'a bit' because I tend to.. err.. whats the word.. the oposite of exaggerate..

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

HAHA such an awesome tutorial level.  Anyone else pick up on all the metal band/song references that the tutorial guy says?  You guys might be a little to young :P

Rainbow in the dark, Slayer, reign in blood, Mr Cruelly (Mr Crowley), just to name a few.  Pretty much every time he spoke it was some kind of metal reference.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:16 am »

Getting on with the game okay. The dungeon doesn't feel all that alive and I agree with most of the complaints and praise it's already got in here.

Oh I just said 'a bit' because I tend to.. err.. whats the word.. the oposite of exaggerate..
Understate.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2013, 12:23:39 pm »

HAHA such an awesome tutorial level.  Anyone else pick up on all the metal band/song references that the tutorial guy says?  You guys might be a little to young :P

Rainbow in the dark, Slayer, reign in blood, Mr Cruelly (Mr Crowley), just to name a few.  Pretty much every time he spoke it was some kind of metal reference.

The entire game is just full of them, if you look close the shamans get about banging their heads and making the horns all the time.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14