Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18465 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! - Impire
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that anyone who got a game from me at any point is not obligated to say they like it. It is nice to hear though when it's true!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:53 pm »

First impressions, having completed the first mission and messing with the second:
Quite good actually, It is not as bad as Dungeons was, but not completely up to par with the DK games.
Then again, it's a game of its own and should be treated like that.
Tough I really wish there were a sandbox/singleplayer skirmish mode.

So my rating for now: 7/10 which may or may not improve upon playing more missions.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »

So yeah, this game is pretty damn awesome. Like the dev said in the... Steam forums, I think? It's a game you can relax infront of with a coffee and laugh at. Also, is that who I think it is voicing Baal?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

It seems this is another game to add to my e ver expanding WishList.  Thanks for letting us know how it is, though!
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »

Think I might have to pick this up then. If only I had the time to play it. *sigh*
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »

Ill be waiting for some more impressions. was pretty burnt from Dungeons and cyanide games also has that tendency to disappoint me. but that early impression from you guys at least gave some hope.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »

One thing that is VERY annoying: scrolling using the mouse has ~ 1 sec delay before the screen starts to move... oO
Devs said that this was made intentional but is going to get fixxed soon...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »

The scrolling issue is annoying for now, so I use keys to scroll instead. With 4-5 hours in I would rate it an 8, it is different enough from DK while still satisfying the itch. It has almost nothing in common with the abortion that is/was Dungeons. To me, it plays like Tropico in a dungeon with RPGish multi squad combat.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »

It doesn't seem like tropico to me, the workers don't wander off to do other things instead of building for months. More like DK/Dawn of War.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:41 pm »

So, I'm here to present some brief impressions because of a crash, Unhandled Exception. :P

-Music is good. Not exactly subtle but it's thematic.

-It's a lovely looking game. I've got it completely maxed out. I haven't taken the time to study the rooms and details closely though because....

-No pause (that I'm aware of so far.) You can argue it's an rts and it shouldn't have one, but plenty of my favorite RTS games have pausing, where you can give commands. If anyone knows how to pause (short of pressing escape) please say so.

-Not being able to see anything but icons from the management view is a little eh. Sure squads have icons, but your pop cap exceeds your # of available squads so...a tactical overview would be nice. The jump from build view (which is a little limited) to management view is dramatic. You feel like you're scrolling too hard or something, but no. You're going from 50% visibility to 100%. It's kind of jarring, as I keep wanting to get a higher build mode view (again, wanting a bigger tactical picture.)

-Convenience for units seems to revolve around squads. Which I can see being problematic because non-squaded reserves still need to be fed and such too.

-Combat goes pretty quickly, so far, and I've just been zerging a lot of mass individuals around. Zap the healer right as your troops engage, order everyone to attack the casters. It's too early to really say, cause there's lots and lots of units you can get.

-I'm feeling a little restricted but it was only right at the end of the tutorial that it crashed. The tutorial is a weebit suffocating, but by the end it lets work you work more freely. Pre-designed rooms is kind of a bummer, even though I understand their reasons. Maybe the other rooms will make up for it.

-The icon mouse overs so you can see the scene is cool, but kind of irritating when you're trying to, for example, select Baal from the management view when he's among a bunch of guys.

-The humor is.....eh. It's there. Baal sounds kind of obnoxious. (And now I see why. I like that comedian but his voice when he wants to be annoying...is annoying.) And I know the whole game only gets hammier later. I knew what I was getting in for.

-Tunnels get dug and rooms get built quick, by one guy. They don't seem to work together on stuff. This is not a game where you sit around and watch stuff get built. Imps, at least, get spawned quickly, like a squad worth in under a minute.

-Between your Evolutions and the Runes and Gear you can put on troops, there's a good amount of game options you can tweak and unlock. I made the mistake of looking into customizing yourself for multiplayer and saw a bunch of stuff there. Baal's evolutions aren't super thrilling though.

It's very much an RTS game, as I think the Tutorial drives home pretty quickly. You don't spend a lot of time setting things up, getting your guys going, or anything really. Things happen pretty snappy. I'm sure that later on, better units take longer to build, better rooms take more effort. But as someone who likes to leisurely play their way through a level, Impire isn't doing me any favors. It's a pity there's no real sandbox, I hope they consider doing that at some point. All in all though, I'm impressed in several places, even though I'm still getting used to the control and UI schemas. Going to go back now, and see what the game is like when it lets me stretch my legs. Probably will have to replay the tutorial....again.

I'll echo the crowd though: I already feel like it's more entertaining than Dungeons, despite the fact I don't really feel like I'm building anything.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:10:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:23 pm »

You can argue it's an rts and it shouldn't have one

>:( No, There is no RTS that could ever justify not having a pause button  >:(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »

all non-mmo rts can benefit from a pause button.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »

I see no design reason for excluding a pause, maybe they will add it if you ask.

As far as the tutorial not giving you a lot of freedom, I think that is standard and pretty much essential for teaching you the mechanics in 20 minutes.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »

Good way to check to see if you have a pause option is to look through the keyboard shortcuts list in the options menus.  Usually its set to P or the space bar or some such, although some times it can be things like ALT-P.  ::)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14