Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dust 514  (Read 3372 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Dust 514
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:34:10 am »

Hey everyone do after signing up for this games beta 3-5 years ago!! I randomly received a email from the EVE telling me yesterday i was in the closed beta so here's a bit about the game:

Dust 514 will be a first-person shooter with elements of massively multiplayer online games. Combat will take place on the various planets found in Eve Online, each of which will offer a unique map. Planets will be divided into large districts, which hold resources and installations that players must fight for control over. Only the natural landscape of each planet remains constant; the placement of buildings and surface structures is controlled by the player corporations. Both teams will have a "commander" who can oversee the planetary combat and make tactical decisions from a RTS-style perspective. The commanders reside within a massive aerial fortress known as the "mobile command center". According to CCP, mobile command centers will require fuel to run systems such as turrets and energy shields, and it will be up to commanders to extract fuel from sources within the battlefield. The goal of each team will be to destroy the opposing mobile command center.

Infantry in Dust 514 will be equipped with "dropsuits" which function similarly to the ship hulls in Eve Online. Dropsuits have various module slots which players can utilize to fit different weapons and equipment, giving players customization choices and the ability to fill specific roles. Skill training, in a manner similar to Eve Online, is also available. CCP has stated that it would take seven years to train all skills, and that it was not intended for any player to learn all of the skills. Instead, CCP believes that players will naturally become specialized by selecting a certain set of skills and becoming "really, really good at them." Player-driven vehicles will also be available in the game; these can be transported to anywhere within the battlefield using "rapid deployment vehicles" at the request of players. Vehicles will share the modular fitting system that infantry dropsuits have.

Although the Dust players will be mercenaries, they can also seize territory from planets within the Eve universe for their own alliance and corporation, which will take place in the form of Corporation vs. Corporation matches. This allows Dust corporations to build infrastructure on captured territory, but it is unclear what manufacturing power Dust corps will hold.

Although Dust 514 will be primarily focused on emergent gameplay from real players, CCP has confirmed that there will be a survival game mode which pits players against A.I. controlled rogue drones.

For a PS3 game it sounds really good and seeing as though it's a free game I decided to steal my uncles PS3 and account to play it ( I'm a PC purist ) I will be posting more info on what it is like as I play but how it's tied to EVE and how ever was it might be a great game and very in depth.

More info soon

Expand and discuss what are all your opinions ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:56:45 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Dust 514
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:10:29 am »

This is still a thing?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:16 am »

Oh my, a Ps3 exclusive? Sweet!
It certainly sounds interesting, although I don't have proper internet access currently and as such wouldn't be able to play online. :-\ Still, maybe by the time this comes out I'll have fixed that.

Mostly I'm just pleased to see an interesting-looking game made Ps3 exclusive. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:28:24 am »

This is still a thing?

Yup the last time I heard anything about it was 2 years ago..... They have been very quiet since that I have seen no updates for it but apparently they are at beta stage for it O.o

Yoink Im sure you would have fixed it by then... This thing has been in creation since I was still in education....

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »

Search!

I always wondered why the hell a company that owns a mmo, for pc only, decides to make a platform only mmofps, one tied to aforementioned mmo. PS3 Exclusive to boot. I'm still hoping they'll also open the doors for PC..at some point in time. And I think it's gonna be a f2p as well.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:18 pm »

Search!

I always wondered why the hell a company that owns a mmo, for pc only, decides to make a platform only mmofps, one tied to aforementioned mmo. PS3 Exclusive to boot. I'm still hoping they'll also open the doors for PC..at some point in time. And I think it's gonna be a f2p as well.

Damn it >,< I did do a search :P think I put 541 by mistake :P oh well and yeah it's F2P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:28 pm »

I hope not... :( I like having something to lord over all you PC-gaming majority! :P The Last of Us The Last of Us The Last of Us...

Also, F2P? Even more interesting... As long as it's not one of those borked 'play to win' models I hear you online gamers talking about.
I might go look into this more closely, now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

Nope not play to win works exactly the way EVE does with it's market place does I'm playing now wow it's prittie,

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:37 pm »

I hope not... :( I like having something to lord over all you PC-gaming majority! :P The Last of Us The Last of Us The Last of Us...

Also, F2P? Even more interesting... As long as it's not one of those borked 'play to win' models I hear you online gamers talking about.
I might go look into this more closely, now.
I'm ok with it.
And technically, your corporate sponsors pay you to win.... does that count? 

Or... errr... play to win?  You mean putting in more time = more win?  It could happen I suppose, but, I think Dust will be designed as a money sink for EVO players, albeit, a money sink with real and possibly good consequences.

So my speculation is that there might be some sort of durability of gear/equipment/vehicles involved, and paying upfront for the stuff.... or even renting em like that Blacklight:Retribution game.  (I should eventually try that out...)  So yea, back to the paying you to win.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:43 pm »

Aw... console exclusive? There goes my interest.
Pity. The game sounded pretty interesting.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

*facepalm* Derp, what a typo. Meant pay to win. Leave me alone, it's 4AM. :P
And I really have no idea, there are just so many rants on the forums about F2P games with annoying micro transactions.

I looked into this a bit more, and holy cow I am even more intrigued. Time to sell something and get internet connected.
Booze is Life for Yoink

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

Note there are weapons which can be bought with aur but these only have a difference of needing lower skill preneeds so the only advantage you get is that you get higher weapon tiers earlier no big difference - its only the beta but aur only costs £1.50 for 400 and it's 7 aur for a weapon..... So I got 400 aur........

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:00 pm »

Just found out why stuff is cheep... When you die you lose it.... Shit

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »

In space, no one can hear your complaints of lost items?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:08 pm »

Interesting... so you can loot other player's weapons?

I guess in an EVE Online branded game you should have expected it. What was that line EVE players always spout? "Don't fly anything you can't replace"?

Anyone else find it funny how they always make sure that you buy currency in packs not divisible by the purchases? Soon they might start only selling prime-numbered amounts!
Pages: [1] 2 3