Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there always underground caverns?  (Read 1092 times)

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are there always underground caverns?
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:04 am »

I built right on the ocean and have done extensive exploratory mining on lvl 30, 50 and 60, and found no caves.  Do I just need to look harder, or is it possible I have no caves?  Also, i have never once had human or elven traders.  only dwarves.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are there always underground caverns?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:02:07 am »

The number of caverns is a world gen parameter (0-3), so, unless you put that at 0, they have to be there.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:04 am »

Easy Answer: Use DFHack's reveal function to see where caves are.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:16 am »

oh, and i have also never been raided once in 12 years.  I have had a minotaur attack and a dragon attack and that was it.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:43 am »

It's hard to say without knowing a few more things about your game.

If you used advanced worldgen paramaters it's possible that you simply changed the number of caverns to 0, like Broken said.
If not, it's possible that you're simply unlucky and haven't hit them with your exploratory mining. Try using dwarven radar to see if you can find the caverns that way.

In terms of your apparent lack of sieges, again there are a couple of possible reasons. Are goblins extinct in your world? Did you embark on a landmass isolated from the goblins, if they do exist? Is your fortress merely poor?

And finally, have you done any modding to your game at all?
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »

Reveal is a bit dangerous, I think.  If you can, fire up stonesense, hit 'h' to display hidden, and just browse downward to figure out how many Z levels you have until the 1st cavern, etc.

https://github.com/peterix/stonesense

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:51 pm »

Reveal is a bit dangerous, I think.  If you can, fire up stonesense, hit 'h' to display hidden, and just browse downward to figure out how many Z levels you have until the 1st cavern, etc.

https://github.com/peterix/stonesense

Not anymore. Dfhack's reveal is safe to use. For spoileriffic and potentially dangerous stuff there are other commands...