Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Defending your horde.  (Read 3850 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defending your horde.
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:52 pm »

Simple question, what kind of defensive measures do you guys take when defending you precious goods?(Crafts,jewels,rare metals)Or do you just make a big stockpile room and throw everything in there?

My last fortress had a vault of sorts. The entrance was guarded by a tame giant cave spider on a chain in a 3x3 room, so thieves would be spotted by the spider if they were dumb enough to brush against him.(He killed at least 8-9 kobolds) Past the spider was an Iron door that was kept tightly closed and forbidden at all times until things needed to be stored. A weapon trap with several axe blades guarded the door. Past the door were tight hallways, heavily trapped, and each type of good had its own vault, but to get to the vault you had to go through a room with several tame dangerous animals inside(I embarked in a savage jungle so lotsa giant lions and such.)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Defending your horde.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »

I just used a hall O' traps at the fort entryway, with a few chained kittens to spot. Spotted thief= dead/trapped thief.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:39:25 pm »

Well my fortress is always defended by layers of security but I often have a vault made of some kind of precious metal and defended by absurd security systems and deadly traps just to house masterwork crafts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:37 pm »

Cage traps. Lots and lots of cage traps. When the goblin siege stops dead because all their squad leaders and half the army are in cages, I send out a dwarf/animal to draw their attention so they run through the "buzzsaw" layer, i.e. a 2-3 tile deep line of x10 steel serrated disc traps. If they somehow have enough numbers to jam all the traps, I have a steel-clad army of 20 or so legendary axedwarves to take apart (literally) the last survivors.

Beyond that, you can typically find my vampire prisoners defended better than our 10 ton pile of gold, silver and platinum bars. Thieves don't get far enough to even spot the wealth before their limbs are confiscated by the soldiers, so I have no need to put any kind of fancy defenses in place. Hell, for half the dwarves in the fortress the valuables are easier to reach than the food and booze.

Small nitpick, the proper term would be "hoard." A hoard is a stash of valuable objects, while a horde is a large group of people (typically people, at least).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »

That hasn't really been a problem in my fort. Really the only threat posed by the kobolds or other creatures one-shotting my more valuable dwarves. it is pretty hard to enter my fort without my knowing, what with the war dogs and war bears and the traps and the military. Just tie a animal or too to the front early on, until you can create more deadly defenses.

Also, STOP NINJAING, I tried to post this 3 times.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:38 am »

i have few cage traps around the map , to spot ambushes and catch animals . i usually send all my militia to fight the goblins , if they slaughter my militia , i lock the door and wait for a caravan or elven ambush.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:02:50 am »

My current fort has no doors or other entrances, the hoard (along with everything else) is protected by 4-5 z-levels so until they learn to dig they are bang out of luck.

(By-the-by I did this by setting 30 dwarves up, then closing the doors, next migrants sealed it all off properly froim the outside, even caving in parts of the access tunnels before going mad on the surface.)

The goblins think there is an entrance however, drawbridges, a trap corridor leading to a walled courtyard with keep, the whole package.  Ambushes are decloaked at the front of the traps by an invulnerable animal scout (behind glass that is behind fortifications).  They continue to path because at the very highest room of the false keep there is a couple of dogs chained up, along with some pressure plates meaning that should they ever one day actually reach said keep the whole thing fills with magma, top to bottom, in about 30 seconds.  This system has been inplace a number of years now, my original bait dogs both died of old age, but left a room milling with puppies to continue the work.  Main issue has been jamming traps (since my dwarves never come out), i think i'll get the next migrant wave to do some maint before they go mad
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:05:26 am »

I generally always keep one barracks, with my initial (and best trained) military dwarves stationed there, right by my entrance.  Any kobold thieves have to go straight through it, or right by it, before they can even find my stockpiles

But I don't lock up my goods. too lazy

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:06:49 am »

I generally always keep one barracks, with my initial (and best trained) military dwarves stationed there, right by my entrance.

This is a great idea, i've done this one a few times too, if you set it just outside the entrance then your squad drop cave adaption as they train/bounce invaders.  If you dont actually have the invaders path through the barracks itself then right outside works, build that wall from glass and it does the job.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:04 am »

My jewel stockpile is in the depths of the fort so it is closer to the mining tunnels, and the metals and artifacts are not organized at all.  The idea of a vault is an inspiration, and will go on my to-do list (but I doubt I can get it as ornate as higgypig's).

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »

A chained guard animal and a line of cage traps. The military takes care of everything else.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »

Good ideas all around! I honestly design my vaults in such a way to prevent thieves from making off with any stuff and in hope that when my fortress falls, I can visit it in adventure mode and see if the invaders were able to get past the horrors that I places around my goodies, or if the vault hallways are littered with bones of the poor sobs who couldn't.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »

I use a barracks at my entrance. NOTHING gets in/out without being seen by my soldiers. Because the exit IS the barracks.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »

I create a room down at the end of one of my mining tunnels for storing all my artifacts.  This also keeps the artifacts sorted at the bottom of all build lists so that I don't accidentally use any.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »

An orc in a 10x10 room with a single chest.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2