Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrifying biomes, glaciers and underground pastures on rock  (Read 1784 times)

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this is in version 34.11. For a challenge I wanted to try an embark on a Terrifying Glacier, with the only resources listed as Ice and Deep Metals. Horrid survival even if you live and undead on top of that. I had a few things in mind when I went out to tackle this challenge that I could do to help me get by. I ran into a few problems. They were:

=== Problem 1: No grazing on stone ===
My steps to get underground stone grazing:
1) Breach the caverns
2) Build wells over cavern water
3) Mine out a 10x10 stone area and stick my grazing animals in there (in this case a horse and a water buffalo)
4) Channel out holes in a room above and throw water down in to create mud

Now, according to the wiki, this is sufficient for cave fungus to start growing - muddy stone is sufficient in particular. Well, I tossed water in over and over until I had most of the room covered in 1 deep water. I then stopped and let it evaporate, which did indeed leave mud behind - sufficient for me to build farms if I wanted. However, months rolled by and the mud always just stayed mud - in this case, 'muddy diorite'. Never once did any of the tiles grow cave fungus, trees, etc. So, naturally, my pack animals starved.

So, question: Is it actually the case that muddy stone should start growing cave fungus if you breach the caverns? If so, what was wrong in my technique? If stone grazing is simply impossible in 34.11, would building a floor from imported clay work?

=== Problem 2: No undead ===
The biome I selected is 'Terrifying'. It has no other biomes attached, it's entirely Terrifying. That said, I've now have had multiple dwarves die and even more animals die, along with some local wildlife (a yeti) die. They never revived as undead, which is precisely why I picked Terrifying in the first place. Now, I do have evil weather - I'm getting rotting mucus rain that causes blisters, but no undead. Now, the wiki indicates there's a chance a particular Evil biome will result in undeath, but it's not a guarantee. So, that being the case, is there any way to know in advance if a biome will create undead?

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying biomes, glaciers and underground pastures on rock
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:23:44 am »

Muddy rock should still be able to grow cave fungus/moss, have you breached all 3 caverns?  Also do the caverns you have breached actually have cave fungus/moss or are they dry cavern layers with only trees?

As for the second problem, are the bodies freezing before they can reanimate?

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:42 am »

I've breached the first layer of caverns, most likely - it does indeed have cave fungus, cave moss and underground shrubs/trees along with some hostiles. After more than a year of game time, though, a muddy diorite floor hasn't produced any.

I am not sure how to tell if a corpse is frozen - the description doesn't indicate such, at least. How might I tell?

galluptack1112

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:23 am »

After more than a year of game time, though, a muddy diorite floor hasn't produced any.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:47 am »

Corpses don't freeze. Also, not all evil biomes have undead.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »

Also, not all evil biomes have undead.

Right. Which is why my question was, "Is there a way to tell?", not "Why aren't they there?"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:27:16 pm »

Ah, I misread.

Check the place out in Adventure Mode? Other than that, not really.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »

Any other tips related to getting cave fungus or moss to grow on muddy stone? Anyone else have this working in 34.11 using a similar method?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

Allegedly, it works. In practice, I rarely muddy stone.
Sig

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:40:04 pm »

In that case, I'm claiming that in 34.11, muddy stone will not grow fungus or moss.

I'll have to test again, digging through all 3 cavern layers to see if that changes anything... I'll also experiment with floors built of clay, I suppose, even though the wiki says those can't be a substitute for soil.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »

In that case, I'm claiming that in 34.11, muddy stone will not grow fungus or moss.

I'll have to test again, digging through all 3 cavern layers to see if that changes anything... I'll also experiment with floors built of clay, I suppose, even though the wiki says those can't be a substitute for soil.
Did you reclaim the embark after discovering/breaching the caverns the first time?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:10 pm »

Muddy tiles frow moss. I have a 3 z level tree-animal farm in my last fort. It just needs time.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:36 pm »

Presume muddy in all of the following:

Cavern Floor will grow floor fungus and moss.  I just did it a few minutes ago in vanilla 34.11, on a brand new embark.

Cavern Floor of any kind, even stone.  In my case, it was an Andesite Cavern Floor.  This, after the first cavern was breached, immediately grew fungus and moss.  As in, instantly.  I breached the caverns, dug out a room from stone in Z-4, flooded it, and instantly had fungus & moss.  No waiting time was required beyond a few seconds.

HOWEVER

Floor (smoothed stone) will not grow moss or fungus, only trees and shrubs.
If you gather the shrubs or cut down the trees that grow on smoothed stone floor, what remains, even on smoothed stone floor, is now Cavern Floor, and will grow moss and fungus.

I have a save if you want to see it, just PM me.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:28:43 pm »

Breach the 2nd cavern.
I had the same problem, had the first cavern breached, but moss/fungus/etc just wouldn't grow anywhere.
Then I breached the second cavern, and soon there wass moss/fungus/etc everywhere.

soulmata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »

Ok, so it may be dependent on how deeply you dig. I'll try that again - it definitely does NOT work in this particular biome when breaching just the first cavern.
Pages: [1] 2