Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Citizens not following burrow orders  (Read 1366 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Citizens not following burrow orders
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:07 am »

I'm trying to get my broker to go to the trade depot by using a simple burrow order, so that he won't go anywhere else, but when I give him the order, he just stops, and refuses to move. I'm also having this problem with a couple of my haulers which I want to move to an area to turn them into werebeasts... Any idea why this is happening?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Citizens not following burrow orders
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:38:56 am »

I had this problem crop up on me a few days ago. The dwarf in question was hauling at the time I burrowed him, and he froze. It turns out the destination of whatever it was he was hauling was outside the burrow. I just forbade the hauled item, the dwarf dropped it and ran to the burrow.

Just remember to unforbid the dropped stuff.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:21:37 am »

This guy wasn't holding anything... He was standing around with no job before I burrowed him (the hauler). The broker is also all the other noble positions, so he was conducting a meeting at the time, but just completely froze doing the meeting for the time I had him burrowed at the depot
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:18 am »

Assigning a dwarf to a burrow does not necessarily cause it to instantly run to that burrow - it only prevents the dwarf from taking any jobs outside the burrow. Granted, after being idle for a while, the dwarf will decide to "mill around" and should pick a location within that burrow, but that could take several days.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:24:53 am »

Assigning a dwarf to a burrow does not necessarily cause it to instantly run to that burrow - it only prevents the dwarf from taking any jobs outside the burrow. Granted, after being idle for a while, the dwarf will decide to "mill around" and should pick a location within that burrow, but that could take several days.

Ok, so that explains the hauler taking his time, but the broker should have moved off instantly, because he was requested at the depot

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:25:24 am »

Even with your burrow in the Trade Depot your trader will still eat/sleep/drink elsewhere. It should work, eventually though.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:40:50 am »

I never get what problem people have with their brokers. If he is doing something else or is on break, I just set it that everyone can trade, works fine for me.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 11:06:45 am »

Is he psychologically a skiver?  (If so, maybe not your best choice for the position[1].)

I just tend to remove absolutely every 'proper' job from my broker's itinerary, suffer the call of food/booze/bed[2] and get him/her there.  Once I see the broker is in the depot, I know I can (usually!) trust them to stay there for the duration, barring dehydration/starvation prompts to leave (I'm sure), even while I'm still hurrying to get those last few individual shale crafts there[3].

Much as the still-being-hauled item might be a process-stopper (as described, and with the resolution as given), is it possible that they were actually on their way to "store a sock", or something else that they were actually wearing?  Apart from forbidding their entire clothing range, I think the solution would be to forget about the burrowing and let them get on with it.

Or else unburrow for a moment, and see if they head off on a purpose.  And then perhaps include in the "You must trade!" burrow also the location they're naturally heading for (e.g. their own personal coffer), to let that activity finish and then the next job (the Trading) is selected and commenced, with minimum fuss.

[1] Although, not knowing who else you've got available, I could still see them being the best of a bad lot... ;)

[2] Usually by ensuring that I'm not waiting until the "the Tradrs are leaving soon" message before arranging for him to stop his other work, so that he can get a good meal or two, drink or six and 40-to-80 winks in, if necessary, and still have time to wander over to the depot while it's still relevant.

[3] In the early days, when I've not already got wealth beyond the dreams of avarice waiting for swapping for the entire caravan...  Later on... well, not a problem.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »

[3] In the early days, when I've not already got wealth beyond the dreams of avarice waiting for swapping for the entire caravan...  Later on... well, not a problem.

Some of my early trades are:
Egg layers + cook = lavish meals
Wooden spiked balls
Mechanisms

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:32 pm »

Wooden spiked balls. Agreed. They also have some military application.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »

as mentioned before: anyone can trade. When your fort gets a bit develloped you can afford to trade at a loss
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.