Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens after i catch an ocean creature in an underwater cage trap?  (Read 3362 times)

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will one of my dwarves try to dive down and remove the cage?
Once I drain the pool, how long until the caged animal suffocates?
Do I have a way/the time to move the animal to a different chamber where he/she can start a breeding program?  (sperm whale farm!)

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile

The dwarves might try and retrieve the cage, but you will probably just end up with a bunch of "urist cancels collect cage, no path" cancellation spam. Anything inside a cage is subject to cage stasis, so you can move it normally, with no effect on the creature inside. (although, if you are hauling a sperm whale, it might take 2-3 years for the dwarf to haul it to the stockpile).
As to trying to put it into another chamber of water, just make a small animal stockpile that only accepts whales right next to the edge where you will throw the whale in, or the whale might drown while being carried.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dwarves might try and retrieve the cage, but you will probably just end up with a bunch of "urist cancels collect cage, no path" cancellation spam. Anything inside a cage is subject to cage stasis, so you can move it normally, with no effect on the creature inside. (although, if you are hauling a sperm whale, it might take 2-3 years for the dwarf to haul it to the stockpile).
As to trying to put it into another chamber of water, just make a small animal stockpile that only accepts whales right next to the edge where you will throw the whale in, or the whale might drown while being carried.

I was thinking of a separate flood chamber directly inland from the fish trap chamber (separated by floodgates and doors, of course) where i could move the caged sperm whale and link the cage to a lever.  Then i could flood the chamber and pull the lever.  Is that more complicated than needbe?

The hauler would have to move the cage maybe 10-15 squares.  How long would that realistically take?

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know how long, but it will be shorter if the stockpile sends him with a wheelbarrow to collect the whale.

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know how long, but it will be shorter if the stockpile sends him with a wheelbarrow to collect the whale.

that's a Salvador Dali painting right there.

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so... do we think it is possible for whales to breed in captivity in DF?  They wouldnt be tame, they would just be in a confined space, potentially bumping whale-uglies.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

so... do we think it is possible for whales to breed in captivity in DF?  They wouldnt be tame, they would just be in a confined space, potentially bumping whale-uglies.
Why not tame them? Nothing better than giving goblins the ol' Ahab treatment :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you add [PET] to whales and [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] to humans, caravans will bring them.

potzertommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the wiki claims they cannot be tamed.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

War Whales?
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

the wiki claims they cannot be tamed.

They should be able to. They can't be trained (I don't think), but they can be tamed with the new system.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

I love the idea of a single dwarf hauling a whale for years.

"Who's that nutcase out there? And what's with the huge rotting whale corpse outside?"
"That's Udib. He went a little crazy when his wife was killed by carp. One day, he swears he's going to get the whale corpse inside the fortress."
"But that's insane!"
*death glare*
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

"Who's that nutcase out there? And what's with the huge rotting whale corpse outside?"
"That's Udib. He went a little crazy when his wife was killed by carp. One day, he swears he's going to get the whale corpse inside the fortress."
"But that's insane!"
*death glare*
Now imagine that, except when Udib finally gets down to butchering the corpse.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile

"But that's insane!"
*death glare*
Now imagine that, except when Udib finally gets down to butchering the corpse.
Yay! Rotten whale tripe for the whole fortress!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmmm Ambergris Biscuits...
Pages: [1] 2