Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Have you tried adventure mode lately?  (Read 6490 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Have you tried adventure mode lately?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

Well yeah, of course, its the actual finding of lower level places to grind / find -iron boots- in.

Friendly keeps often have armouries you can take from.

So you get Quests appropriate to your level ?
What kinds of places are good to start with? Sewers? It just seems that any encounter is lethal when starting off whether its a Bogeyman squad, random Bandits or a herd of Chickens.
1. You don't get quests appropriate to your level, because there is no such thing as level. You get asked to deal with problems proportional to how well known you are.
The first quest you'll get from some rural hamlet can easily be done by a starting adventurer. Bonus points if you stumble on a were-creature whilst it's in humanoid form. Once you get more fame from killing notable cretins and gather yourself a small army, you'll start visiting royalty and leaders, who'll tell you to kill Titans or Warlords that reside in the dungeons. That's when you know you're ready, and even then it's still an uphill fight.
2. Hamlets.
3. If all you're encountering are bogeymen (note - there's a reason why EVERY SINGLE VILLAGER IN THE UNIVERSE tells you to not travel alone at night), bandits (who didn't exactly get where they are by letting themselves get killed) and chickens with the might of an entire civilization behind their fluffy wings, then you should really expect to not live longer than a week.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »

Demigod's have more than enough stat points to solo a warlord dungeon, if you know what you are doing. This mean drawing your foes out to fight them one at a time, negating his dodging by sticking a weapon in his flesh, and making clever use of pits. Provided you are faster than them, the only shots you should ever take are projectiles and counterstrikes.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »

What kinds of places are good to start with? Sewers? It just seems that any encounter is lethal when starting off whether its a Bogeyman squad, random Bandits or a herd of Chickens.

I've only played it a little bit, but I find that pretty much anywhere which isn't too crowded is good for starting with, after you have a spearman ally and/or a hammerman ally.  They kind of suck at killing things quickly, but they're good at hurting them, possibly even causing them to fall unconscious from the pain.  Then you move in with the boning knife you swiped and put it in the victim's brain.

Even when your buddies get too banged up to really fight, they're still useful.  You don't have to outrun the alligators, you just have to outrun the spearman with motor nerve damage.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »

I also met this guy:

Ah, yes. That would be a clown masquerading as a god. How did you get him mad?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 04:31:01 pm »

I find the randomness half the fun.  Be sure to practice your skills on dying opponents.

I find an unconcious hostile, choke them out, then systematically punch, kick, and otherwise torture him non-lethally as possible, for max leveling.  Letting him wake up to 'push' you works too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 09:46:22 pm »

As an avid adventure mode player, I find it vaguely amusing whenever people find it harder than fortress mode. I started my df career in adventure mode, and became mostly capable in around a week. In contrast, when I decided to give fortress mode a go it took me several months to learn even the basics of fortress maintanence, and sometimes I still have issues with food and flooding and such. As a side note, I very rarely grind my adventurers. I understand that it makes things easier, but I get more satisfaction from slowly building my skills from a series of lucky battles (No matter how many deaths it takes).

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »

One thing that trips me up a lot with adventurer mode is that it's just similar enough to nethack that I keep assuming the same rules apply and the same strategies will work.  They don't.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 10:14:22 pm »

The most important thing to remember is that adventure mode isnt a different game.  It uses all the same mechanics as fort mode.  Im sure at sometime you stuck a copper sword in the hands of a cheesemaker migrant and told him he was a warrior because he had demigod quality stats.  I do.  They die so damn often.

In fort mode you notice that anyone without armor who gets any kind of real hit from a weapon dies without a doctor, or dies immediately, or loses a limb and bleeds out, or many nasty things.  Same applies to you in adventurer, and theres no doctors.  Even if you survive thanks to a nice healing stat your wound is probably infected.  Same rules.

Adventure mode isnt about how do i win?  Its about how do i not die right this very moment?

Just like the entire DF game really...  there is no win....just losing later
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:16:01 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 11:07:54 pm »

Like fortress mode, I started a few times, died horribly very quickly, tried again, didn't die so quickly or so horribly this time, try again, killed a few things and made a name for myslef before drowining in a river, try again. I'm still adjusting to it, but I've slowly started picking up on the habits that keep me from dying.  The Grinding tripped me up at fisrt, since in most games I avoid that like the plague, but since this was DF it wasn't nearly as repetitive and boring, and far more likely to kill me.

It also needs more expansion, like in dwarf mode military is just one factor, I do entirely different things. Here, its sorta: "Im a adventurer, hear me roar". After I've killed everything evil in a area (which i've never sucessfully done, although I got close before bogeyman happened. holy shit. First time I fought them, I was 10 steps from a house, and I still came out injured). overall, while its till DF, its slightly less completed DF in a different Genre. That said, I like it. My adventurer is currently resting off wounds from some god-awful dungeon.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:13 am »

...That said, I like it. My adventurer is currently resting off wounds from some god-awful dungeon.

If you get the dungeon bug, you get infinitely respawning enemies! Which means that you get an infinite supply of arrows and shields.

So you can murder the same kobold a hundred times, then set up a macro to shoot at your feet.

Only thing that sucks about archery is that its easier to just throw things, since archery has a reload time.

Still, its fun to shoot things while running. :D

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:40 am »

Adventurer mode isn't difficult, per se. Guerilla tactics are your friend.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:14 am »

I don't grind either. My routine is: talk first peasant you see into joining you. Trade spear for backpack but keep knife (usual spawns for outsider races whom I like to play: serpentmen are really fun). Walk around and kill wolf packs for food. Fght by crippling crucial limbs then dismembering. Get a crutch. Try to raise small armies and take on camps or night creatures. Run if things go badly. In case of crossbows drop to the ground and hide behind trees until you get within a few or one tile of the crossbow or bow goblin. Then standard procedure (disable right arm, left arm etc)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:29 am »

Also, STAY INSIDE AT NIGHT until you have legendary shield user, dodger, and weapon skill. Probably armor user too. If you get bogey'd, back up until only one of them is in front of you. Attack a vulnerable part, aiming for the lower body if possible. You'll charge, knocking them over. Back up. Rinse and repeat until they die or it's dawn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:38 am »

Essentially you need to get somethign like 1100 move speed or so to out run bogey men.

Also, if you decide to sleep in the open, build a LARGE wall of campfires. That way you have enough room to run within, and can also retreat to the dead center to sleep through it.

Another side effect is that if its large enough, the bogey men will engage with some critter or the other and then you can wait till morning and have free stuff to butcher.

But I learnt this the hard way - there is inevitably one blasted bogey man who can fly. Killed one of my adventurers and I didn't even know where he was getting hit from. And I went to sleep outside the doors to a keep!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 01:20:21 am »

I also met this guy:

Ah, yes. That would be a clown masquerading as a god. How did you get him mad?
I don't know. I just jammed my +«*Bronze Morningstar*»+ into his skull and he, for some strange reason, started to kill me.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3