Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Have you tried adventure mode lately?  (Read 6489 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Have you tried adventure mode lately?
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:04:07 am »

Just an FYI - some of us play Fort mode almost exclusively.

Try out adventure mode for a bit. Its quite fun once you get through the regular amount quirks.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried adventure mode lately?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:17:27 am »

I tried and found that you will die horribly the 1st time you are even moderatly hurt in battle, even as a "demigod".
Raiding a tower/dungeon/ whatever? Death. In a fight with someone with a bow? Death.

I once spawned in a Field, surrounded by cats, dogs, pigs and chickens. I thought, "hey food". I hit a pig....
Sixty animals of all species then suddenly psionically band together and attack me.
I t was funny doing a Benny Hill running away from dozens of small docile animals all suddenly intent on ending my life, until a dog bit be, somehow punctured my lung and I died... on the spawn-site... cos i wanted to kill a pig for food.
Those "Quirks" are currently too much to get over to actually enjoy adventure mode IMO.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:53:42 am »

It's unfortunate that grinding is necessary, but I have to say, if you take the time to get a full suit of armor and hold on to a small animal in the wild while they pummel you constantly, you can get legendary defense skills pretty quickly. After that, the death rate goes down considerably and the difficultly level becomes a bit more appropriate for this type of game - and it gets a lot more fun to play.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:53 am »

I discovered adventure mode much later than fort mode. Actually legends mode got me interested, because I saw that there were things like night creatures that don't invade fortresses and artifacts like books and slabs that would fit well into my fort's treasure room.
So lately, before I start a fort, I start an adventurer in that world. That way I get legendary soldier/necromancer immigrants, my dwarfs make engravings of my adventurers deeds, and I can let the adventurer drop off trophys at my future embark site. I like the idea of having coins that are older than the fort and all dwarven artifacts of the world assembled in my fort.
That way I find adventure and fort mode go together nicely. I could not get an adventurer to visit an abandoned fort so far, as my machine is quite slow and my forts tend to get huge, so it always freezes.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:25 am »

I tried and found that you will die horribly the 1st time you are even moderatly hurt in battle, even as a "demigod".
Raiding a tower/dungeon/ whatever? Death. In a fight with someone with a bow? Death.

I once spawned in a Field, surrounded by cats, dogs, pigs and chickens. I thought, "hey food". I hit a pig....
Sixty animals of all species then suddenly psionically band together and attack me.
I t was funny doing a Benny Hill running away from dozens of small docile animals all suddenly intent on ending my life, until a dog bit be, somehow punctured my lung and I died... on the spawn-site... cos i wanted to kill a pig for food.
Those "Quirks" are currently too much to get over to actually enjoy adventure mode IMO.

Ahh friendly farm animals.

Yes there are quirks. What helped me get over the hump was the recent thread on getting 7 dwarves leveled up as adventurers and then have them help found the fortress.

And its fun. Having an absurdly distant destination to travel to, and the random stupidity that can happen, is its own sort of fun.

Heck I once casually entered a river to swim across, and suddenly out of no where 3 crocs attacked me and killed me.

I save scummed.

Repeatedly.

A yak once killed me as I carelessly travelled down a hill. I didn't look where I was going and ended up charging into it. Hoof Curb Stomp dead.

If you can figure out how to use autohotkey to level up your various skills, it helps a bunch, either that or a macro.

Sneak and thrower are pretty useful, as is wearing 8 shields on 1 hand. Levels up Shield skills quite fast.

Really want to have some spells which let people heal themselves introduced into the game. That would be fun.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:59:56 am »

I actually have, but not for very long though. It was on the Boatbusted succession restart, as I wanted to get a feel of the world (and do some stuff to set the scene) before the embark.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is not adventure modes fault. The world of Dwarf Fortress is a dangerous place. Towers, dungeons and tombs are places you visit only once you have become a legend throughout the world. You wouldn't attack a Titan as a peasant and expect to emerge victorious? Same thing applies here.
Before you enter a fight with something, check first.
(l)ook. If you had done so, you would've avoided so many deaths. You would've noticed for one that one of the enemies was armed with a bow, and you should have gear accommodated with not being turned into a pincushion to account for so, or that the animals were marked with a (tame) tag, meaning they were a part of your civ.
Those "Quirks" are a part of adventure mode and don't make it any less enjoyable than Fortress mode's "Quirks."

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:40 am »

This is not adventure modes fault. The world of Dwarf Fortress is a dangerous place. Towers, dungeons and tombs are places you visit only once you have become a legend throughout the world. You wouldn't attack a Titan as a peasant and expect to emerge victorious? Same thing applies here.
(l)ook. If you had done so, you would've avoided so many deaths. You would've noticed for one that one of the enemies was armed with a bow, and you should have gear accommodated with not being turned into a pincushion to account for so, or that the animals were marked with a (tame) tag, meaning they were a part of your civ.
Those "Quirks" are a part of adventure mode and don't make it any less enjoyable than Fortress mode's "Quirks."

That sounds almost critical  :P.

Anyway, someone gave it a shot which is good fun. If you feel like. Grab a hold of one of the mods. Makes for an interesting addition!

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »

I tried to get into adventurer mode a few times. It was a nightmare world of hunger, thirst, drowsiness, searching for bridges over rivers, crocodiles, maze-like buildings full of nothing, and death. I didn't have what it takes!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

The problem is when you can't see em coing, eg Raiding a tower/dungeion and one enemy turns to five, even with crossbowman compainions it all goes south. Or being ambushed by bandits - with crossbows. Or successfully sneaking and traversing a building/dungeon and then being sprung upon by a "high-level" bad guy.

Where are appropriate places to level up an Adventurer? The only places I can find to raid are towers in cities and Tombs etc, all seem to provide too much of an obstacle to a fresh-spawned character, even in Demi-god mode.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:28:38 pm »

The problem is when you can't see em coing, eg Raiding a tower/dungeion and one enemy turns to five, even with crossbowman compainions it all goes south. Or being ambushed by bandits - with crossbows. Or successfully sneaking and traversing a building/dungeon and then being sprung upon by a "high-level" bad guy.

#Note : Become legend, then raid tower.

Where are appropriate places to level up an Adventurer? The only places I can find to raid are towers in cities and Tombs etc, all seem to provide too much of an obstacle to a fresh-spawned character, even in Demi-god mode.
(k) - talk. Ask for service. Ask for surroundings.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »

#Note : Become legend, then raid tower.

Well yeah, of course, its the actual finding of lower level places to grind / find -iron boots- in.

(k) - talk. Ask for service. Ask for surroundings.

So you get Quests appropriate to your level ?
What kinds of places are good to start with? Sewers? It just seems that any encounter is lethal when starting off whether its a Bogeyman squad, random Bandits or a herd of Chickens.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

I've been playing adventure almost exclusively the last week - I have put a lot of time into a good character. Geared up in a full kit of decorated iron armor, wielding a iron morningstar. I've killed about 5 bandit camps, a minotaur (which I just happened to stumble upon), a kobold cave, a titan, and a dragon.

I have a backpack filled with 300+ Forest Titan meat, and 100 dragon meat. I just drop the backpack whenever I need to fight, so I don't have to fight with speed 103.

Protips for newbs:

ALWAYS have at least novice swimming upon start. That will allow you to easily cross rivers.

Grab a quiver from a nearby dead crossbowman, and use that instead of a waterskin. A quiver can hold 20 water, as opposed to a waterskin, which can only hold 3.

If an enraged honey badger runs up to you, and you beat it to death, butcher it. That's a few days of free meat.

Always pack a crutch in your backpack. If you get your knee shot in a fight, you can just pick up that crutch and keep on fighting. Good idea to train up crutch-walking prior, though.

Just my 2c.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »

I also met this guy:

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »

I think the main issue here is that we are all used to games where you *start* as a well-trained hero, or else are gradually introduced to combat and built up for more difficult encounters according to a pre-designated storyline. DF is more realistic in that the "bad guy" doesn't start by sending rats your way, then boars, then kobolds, and so on until you are a superpowered machine capable of taking on that dragon or warlord or what-have-you. Instead, you're just in this dangerous world where people regularly die young and violently, and with very little previous experience to help you. There's a reason most people are millers or clothesmakers or wood-burners. It's the only way to stay relatively safe. DF is also more realistic in the sense that instead of building up enough HP that nothing can ever kill you, you're stuck with these squishy body parts that can be destroyed by a lucky hit, no matter how good your armor is. There's no way to become truly unbeatable in DF.

Now, whether or not this is a good thing is up to the player to decide. As for me, I'd prefer the option to start more powerful. I'm a little tired of spending the first hour of gameplay grinding up my defensive stats to a level where I can survive a typical encounter. Since most players do this anyway, why not just allow us to start with these higher stats and save us the time? It's also frustrating how difficult it can be to find equipment, especially armor. I expect this will be improved in future versions, but for now it's something we just have to deal with. Certain mods can help with this.

The final question is whether the gameplay (once you're at a level where you can properly *play*) is worth the work to get there. For me, the answer is yes. Plenty of room for improvement, but still far better than any other game I've tried.
Pages: [1] 2 3