Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what type of adventurer do you want to see?

Human
- 2 (50%)
Goblin
- 0 (0%)
Elf
- 0 (0%)
Dwarf
- 1 (25%)
Kobold
- 1 (25%)
Animal man (please specify)
- 0 (0%)
Other (Please specify
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: August 07, 2012, 12:18:36 am

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fireside Tales.  (Read 5359 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Fireside Tales.
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »

Well, rather than make a thread BEFORE seeing if the eponoymous adventurer lives or dies, I made a thread where I can post my intresting adventures. "But" i hear you say, "We have plenty of adventure threads!" Well, poo to you with great knobs on top, I say! Because, we shall have..audience participation! Yep, after each adventurer dies, I'll ask what you guys whould like to see. Even unusual races are fine, since I have done some (minor) modding to the current world. So, the choices are as follows:

Human, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, Kobold, the outsiders for all of these, and the animal men outsiders. Post your vote down below, and I'll get to it.

Also, what button takes screenshots, and does anyone have an image host I don't have to sign up for?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fireside Tales.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »

I would like to see an olmman outsider who focuses on kicking things to death.

Print screen button should take screen shots.

Can't remember a non image hosting sunup thing blah. But I know they are out there maybe tinypic or something... Idunno

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »

Installed this: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2665 mod, so I can do cool stuff even if the character in question is a barbarian living in a ditch to hide from everything. Mostly, It lets me craft things with sticks, rocks, and other stuff.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

Cool, I've been looking for this. Does it have leatherworking and bone carving enabled? I really like hunting animals and always thought it would be helpful to be able to make my own armor and bolts.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »

I am Rane Erudon, and by the bones of my ancestors I will tell the truth of my journey.

But first, an explanation: My people are a calm one. We live in our humble abodes, harvesting the bounty of the great lakes. We are not a warlike people, you must understand, unlike the serpents. We hone our minds, and our bodies against the dangers of our land, but no more. Those ...things called dwarves attacked us, do you understand?

I still remember that day. There was a scratching noise, almost like the coming of a Great One, when two beings clad in shining rock emerged from a tunnel. They were short, very short. And their words, how strange they sounded, all gutteral, without any rhyme or reason. And they attacked, striking out at us with spears and blades that cut like the fangs of the great spinners below. Many of our warriors fell that day. The swallow men fought valiantly, but they were not match for the weapons these invaders carried. You are familar with the crossbow, yes? We were not, and neither were they. We were routed, our village burned, and many of us slaughtered as we ran. But, we were not to go unavenged.

Our lord, Anu, appeared before us that day. Anu is our creator, bedecked with the scales of the serpents, the legs of the antmen, the gills of the cave fish, the body of the olm, and the speed of the swallows. His glorious webs overtook the invaders before he devoured them as an offering to his greatness. He forced himself through the tunnel those burrowing demons dug, and we followed.

They were clever: They had left blades all over the tunnel behind them, whirring blades of metals, but none of them could find purchase on His glorious flesh. Nothing could stand before His anger at the mistreatment of His children, and the halls of that nightmarish dwelling ran with blood. So close set, covered in engravings as a testament to the vanity of these beasts. What survived, and what was lost that day, none may say, bit in the end, they were destroyed, and Anu set forth from the mouth of that hell to demolish these fiends wherever they stood.

What we saw stunned us: The world outside was so bright!. None of us had seen anything like this before. Green plants, everywhere, such a strange and alien shade. And the sky! It was blue, of all colours! You laugh at it, but we had never seen that before, ever.  We stood there in awe. We organized an exploration party at once, to see what we could see. And, here I am.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:42:03 am by Wrex »

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:48 am »

xD nice. I very much like the description of the FB and how it is the god of the animal men. Well done. Keep it coming.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »

Nice story. And holy crap you made me think someone unintentionally replicated MY thread!  :P Ah well. Again, nice story. It actually explains how the cave dwellers feel when their homes are DORFED.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:10 pm »

PTW
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »

I bade the village of the Hu-men fairwell. They were a kindly folk, and if quite strange looking. I wonder what kind of creature a "hu" is.

I felt far more comfortable in the dense set trees of the forest outside the village. Although diffrent than the Tower-Caps of my homeland, wood is wood. I ambushed a pair of colourful birds, and promptly stove their chest's in.  More meat on them then a swallow, that's for sure. Drug the gobblers over to a nearby rock, and began to knap myself some tools. It took some time, but I managed to sew myself a bag to carry the meat in, and some armor to defend me from attacks.

In the distance, I saw a nearby fortress, much like the one His grace so throughly devastated. But to my relief, it was owned by Hu-men. They told me they had no need of assitance, and that their "capitol" was far to the southwest, and was named "Musicalcharmed". Some bandit's accosted me, but the metal is no protection from the flesh, and they went down easily. I melted his dented armor down, and added it to my helmet. You can never have enough skull protection, I always say.

One of them sputtered, begging for death as blood leaked from his nose and mouth. And after choking out the name of his base, he recieved it. This...Twinkledepths...Was about to recieve one very unwelcome visitor.

The Kobolds fell like flies. Their clumsy, untrained movements were no match for the honed flesh of my legs. They were many, but few of them had weapons, let alone the will to use them. By Knife, by axe, by hammer, by fist, I struck them down as more poured forth from that barrow they called home. Shattered ribs, spine's, skulls.
And there, amoung the gore, lay a figurine, carved from Larch, of Him. The cooincidence was too great, and I picked up the blessed totem, now baptized in the blood of my enemies.

I slaughtered a few of those colourful birds the Kobolds left lying about, and fashioned myself three more cloaks.

Musicalcharmed was...a dump. Most of the houses and stores were abandoned, but a clothing shop bought the silk clothing, no questions asked. I think I'll rest for the night here, and continue on in the morning.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:41:46 am »

Installed this: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2665 mod, so I can do cool stuff even if the character in question is a barbarian living in a ditch to hide from everything. Mostly, It lets me craft things with sticks, rocks, and other stuff.

umm dumb question but where do you download this to? (can't figure it out)
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:43:22 am »

You need to drag the files into the raws, depending on how much you want installed. You need to start a new world after you have done this.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 12:45:36 am »

thanks
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:14:57 am »

Can't read anything in your screencaps because you are making the images too big, they are being resized, and the text is too small. My guess is you are not experienced with image editing, so here's my explanation on how to take screen shots effectively. I hope it's helpful! :)

Also, enjoying the story so far.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 01:44:26 am »

As the word of the destruction of the kobolds spread, the hu-men began to call me "The Crux of Combating". Fine enough by me. If a fearsome reputation would deflect their questions, that would make it all the easier. I proceeded to the fortress in the center of town, only to be greeted with the horrible sight of a terribly deformed Hu-man. Please, allow me to describe him to you:
He called himself the "Holy Gut" of 'Sluste", some sort of priest. He spoke of "Heretics" profaning the "Glory" of his lord under the fortress, and offered to pay handsomely for their eradication. A strange request, but the treasure of the keep was handsome indeed. I proceeded down into the crypts.

It was like returning home. Wonderfully dark, and so damp the moisture clung beautifully to your skin.  I was so caught up in the bliss I hardly noticed the small green humanoids standing around down there. Almost. With two swift strikes, I ended their pathetic lives. With a little effort, their armor was adjusted to fit me. This "metal" is much harder to work than tower cap, but in the end it bends just the same.

I started forwards again, moving up, down, and around the many hallways and staircases. Finally, I come to a door, and open it. Another of the greenskins was here, his knifelike ears betraying his presence even in the dim light. I crept up on him, savouring the moment until I lept upon him with the speed of the great weavers above. And that is when he hit me. My arm snapped like a twig against the force of his hammer, burning agony erupting from every fiber of my being. I stumbled backwards, dropping my tools as I went. As the pain took me, I gazed upon his triumphant features, as he brung his hammer done for the final blow.

// Well, that was unexpected. Still, fair is fair. Time to start voting on the next guy :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 01:52:55 am »

How about we take an elf this time? *waits for rioting to stop* Now, now...THIS elf should be different. Perhaps homocidal against elves? Or extremely racist in some way? I dunno. Pick one! And don't kill me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: [1] 2 3