Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap . . . on animals?  (Read 7085 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Population cap . . . on animals?
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:13 am »

The wiki doesn't seem to mention this, but I've noticed an automatically self-imposed population cap on my animals. My embark group of 3 dogs + 1 pet dog quickly shot up to a population of around 50 dogs in just a few years . . . and then stopped. Same with my sheep, although those take longer to reproduce. After my sheep-dog population stabilized, I decided to try out this "Nest Box" thing and give my peacock & peahen (both pets, incidentally) a nice, locked paddock in which to raise their young. Mrs. Peacock hasn't budged from her nest in over a year, and she's laid 2 clutches of eggs, but so far, there's nary a peep.

Then I bought mating pair of Grizzly bears. As there was no longer any need to even pretend to be raising War Dogs, I decided to get rid of them. And as soon as my Butcher started striking them down, they began having puppies again. I thought I could kill them gradually, a few every season, culling just the weakest ones from the herd, but now that they're reproducing almost as fast as my Butcher can handle them, I have to go on Full Auto extermination. So, now I have a few bear cubs, the ewes are producing lambs again (I did slaughter a couple of sheep as well) . . . but there are still no peachicks.

So . . . is there an actual population cap on livestock? Might it be based on caps on the different individual species, a different cap on each grazing zone, or total number of animals over the entire map? Has any Science been done on this?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap . . . on animals?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:28 am »

As far as I know, there is a hardcoded 50-animal limit. You can exceed it a bit in big migrant waves (similar to how migrants will do the same with relation to your population cap), but there doesn't appear to be a way to change it.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:00:20 am »

IIRC the animal population cap is based on the total number of animals over the entire map, including both live and undead animals. Loud Whispers should have some experience with this.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:10 am »

a tip for culling, only cull the females. This will allow you to get on top of numbers quicker.

The cap is per species, i don't know what's stopping your peahens from breeding, try clearing out the eggs and locking them in for another try, make sure not to set a pasture in there while they're laying. That could maybe be something.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:27:46 am by Reelya »

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

I think I saw someone say 200 animals somewhere. Then again I still play .31.25
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »

Here's how it works for non-egglayers: for each race of animal, if there are more than 50 of that animal or there are more than 3 children per adult, then females of that race will not become pregnant.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

Make sure that no one is collecting the eggs.

Lock and forbid the room/area the egg layers are in.

however he migth need to first remove those eggs wich are in the nestbox from before when the popcap were reached (and i think it is 200 too and 50 per animal but not sure about it neither ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:32:13 am »

Yeah, I'm curious whether the limit is 50 per species, 50 per gender of each species, or 200 animals in total?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:26 pm »

Update: After another 18 months or so, I finally have my peachicks. My dwarven paradise-to-be is going to be so much cooler with some peacocks strutting around on the lawn . . . the successful incubation occured with the pasture zone on, incidentally, although really I think it was the mass slaughter of the canines that made it possible. (Last count: 83 dog skull totems, and they're not even all dead yet.)

In other news, while I was designating the 2nd half of my necropolis, one of my miners adopted 3 cats. He now has 5 cats and no friends. I find this amusingly representative of DF as a whole.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:16 pm »

Well, I have 583 pets/livestock, and eggs are still hatching (I have every type of domestic bird - peacock, geese, duck, chicken, guinea, turkey).  Plus lots of dogs / war dogs.  The cats are still caged, so they have not multiplied.  The alpaca are slowly multiplying, but that numerous.

So it might be 50/species.