Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Holy mother of science...  (Read 19941 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy mother of science...
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:46 am »

Regarding the >10 month gestation of little Kivish.

I once had a fort where my mayor was a baby factory - there was about 5 little dwarflets running about. Then her hubby had died tragically, and began to haunt the halls. I figuerd I'd do the right thing and give him a proper memorial. Meanwhile, before I got the chance to give him a decent burial, she gave birth. Awwww, that's so sad, she must have been preggers when her partner karked it. Some time later, the slab was almost done .... and she had another kid. So I abandoned my plans to bury him, as obviously my mayor and her husband's ghost were getting along quite nicely :)

Long story short: I'd keep an eye on Asmel to see if she has any more kids. Would be interesting to find out, I'd ascribed the posthumous pregnancy to Daddy's ghosthood, but quite possibly the dwarfs are running a sperm bank out of somebodies nethercap wood cabinent.

(registered after lurking since pre 40D to post this...)

Really? that is quite interesting Science. You should post this in the wiki.
I always feel sad when a dwarf loses his/her mate without having child and the line dies. This is a solutionj to that.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »

Out of curiosity, what has Toady said about pregnancy?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »

so, your werewolf had a child possibly spored by the ghost of a dwarf who had all his blood let out.

And this is the first and only child born of that mother?

so the child is potentially a virgin birth and the son of the holey ghost?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

...Ugh...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »

so, your werewolf had a child possibly spored by the ghost of a dwarf who had all his blood let out.

so the child is potentially a virgin birth and the son of the holey ghost?
Oooooh, infinite story possibilities! The chosen one!

(Choosen for what, you ask? Then take The Book and be given eternal life!)

You read The Book.
"The secrets of life and death!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MadParrot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 07:05:18 am »

Really? that is quite interesting Science. You should post this in the wiki.
I always feel sad when a dwarf loses his/her mate without having child and the line dies. This is a solutionj to that.

Yeah it was a while ago (shortly after ghosts were brought in I think) and I'm working from memory, so would want to see someone 'reproduce' the situation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »

Update! Kivish is two months old now and still floating about happily. The inhabitants of Silentthunders are actually giving him water when he's thirsty and can't  reach Asmel.
And after seeing threads like:
However, they'll die of thirst without their mothers unless they're nearly at the child stage, so you may as well kill them off.
I think I've discovered a way to keep orphaned babies alive!
Well, I think.
I think this is because Kivish is mobile in that he keeps trying to reach his mother through all her burrows and stuff that the Dwarves treat Kivish like a normal, albeit naked Dwarf. So I suppose a baby wouldn't be pathing to his or her burrowed parent if she was dead, and instead of seeing a naked Dwarf they would see a naked Dwarf baby, and make the unconscious decision to not give it water.

so the child is potentially a virgin birth and the son of the holy ghost?
Sounds about right. I like Kivish.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:28 pm »

Update! Kivish is two months old now and still floating about happily. The inhabitants of Silentthunders are actually giving him water when he's thirsty and can't  reach Asmel.
I think I've discovered a way to keep orphaned babies alive!
Well, I think.
I think this is because Kivish is mobile in that he keeps trying to reach his mother through all her burrows and stuff that the Dwarves treat Kivish like a normal, albeit naked Dwarf. So I suppose a baby wouldn't be pathing to his or her burrowed parent if she was dead, and instead of seeing a naked Dwarf they would see a naked Dwarf baby, and make the unconscious decision to not give it water.

Two thoughs come to mind instantly:

a) This might be relevant to why dwarves won't bring water to prisoners (an ongoing bug) but will try to bring water to dwarves who are working and thirsty. Perhaps you have to be pathing or working or something in order to qualify. Worth further investigation.

b) Do you have a vampire blood well/vampire handy? "The inhabitants of Silentthunders are actually giving him water when he's thirsty". If you turn Kivish into a vampire now, he'll be a vampire baby forever. Which is kinda cool, but makes him rather useless and prevents him from having a future as a contributing citizen. I need to go make myself some vampire babies - it'll be awesome when they feed on people (perhaps their sleeping mother?).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:15 am »

a) This might be relevant to why dwarves won't bring water to prisoners (an ongoing bug) but will try to bring water to dwarves who are working and thirsty. Perhaps you have to be pathing or working or something in order to qualify. Worth further investigation.
It's a bit odd to fix a bug with a bug (presumably?), but I agree nonetheless.

b) Do you have a vampire blood well/vampire handy? "The inhabitants of Silentthunders are actually giving him water when he's thirsty". If you turn Kivish into a vampire now, he'll be a vampire baby forever. Which is kinda cool, but makes him rather useless and prevents him from having a future as a contributing citizen. I need to go make myself some vampire babies - it'll be awesome when they feed on people (perhaps their sleeping mother?).
Good rock how horrifying

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:54 am »

Whoa. A DF version of the Daywalker? Only, you know, half-were-civet instead of half-vampire.  :o
This ought to get interesting... Especially the part about whether or not he'll start turning into a were-civet upon becoming a child. Because that would be the third known transmission vector of werecurses. (The two known thus far being, of course, a non-fatal werebeast bite that draws blood, and the act of profaning a temple.)

Bay 12 forums: world's leading resource on research of neonatal werebeast syndrome transmission.

Also, vampire babies sound like pretty much the creepiest thing ever conceived (pun intended).
"Yeah, sure, the baby bled his own mother dry... Into the isolation chamber with you, you lying blood-sucker!"
Imagine a fortress filled with nothing but immortal, blood-draining toddlers... *shudder*

I think the quote in LW:s sig is in error; this thread officially makes it Bay 12 > pr0n.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:02 am »

Could you describe how is Asmel isolated from the fort? Are bridges involved?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

Bay 12 forums: world's leading resource on research of neonatal werebeast syndrome transmission.

I want to sig this.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2012, 06:32:34 pm »

Well Holy Schist.
If we can make dwarf babies into weres, then... we have a means to create a 100% were-creature fort, via breeding the were-dwarfs with as many non-were dwarfs as possible. The possibilities. Kivish must live. For !!Science!!.
This space for rent

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »

I'm going to keep a tab here, so I can keep up on the !!SCIENCE!!. Anyone post any [valuable] information to the wiki yet?

EDIT: "The wife will give birth to a baby every year, until she or her husband dies, or until the fortress's population limit or child limit is reached. There are no visible signs of pregnancy, and there are no effective means of contraception other than the child limit." DF wiki: Marriage.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:17 am »

Could you describe how is Asmel isolated from the fort? Are bridges involved?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
10zlvls below ground beneath the citadel, beneath the stockpiles and other such like structures lies two of the sparring pools I made, both having long since been let to dry after it was discovered babies were left in the pool. Since then it's been used to house the Were-civets.
No bridges, just lots of doors. When I first constructed it I didn't realize they were building destroyers, and it was only a few months later I noticed that doors/coffers were going missing in their rooms.
In fact, the doors are really more there to keep Dwarves out. As long they don't catch sight of any potential prey they don't try breaking the doors down. And then there's the dozen or so Dwarves on the other end, always fully armed and armoured and always sparring in case one of the civets were to accidentally escape.
I might set up a fight for them later, it's been a while since they've fought anything. I think the last time I've seen them up against an armoured opponent was more tragic than spectacular.
The bedrooms I realized are kinda redundant. I'm not sure when's the last time I've seen them sleep, a throwback I guess to when they were your average run of the mill migrants.
No bridges or mechanisms involved in the containment, it'd take too long getting the Dwarves in an out when needed quickly enough. They're still Dwarves - better in some cases even ^_^

Well Holy Schist.
If we can make dwarf babies into weres, then... we have a means to create a 100% were-creature fort, via breeding the were-dwarfs with as many non-were dwarfs as possible. The possibilities. Kivish must live. For !!Science!!.
Did some testing and - 100% Were-creature forts do not result in fortress death! Although sadly I do not think that'd be possible in my fort. The Dwarves are all too good in their respective military skills, and the were-civets happen to be the most well trained at unarmed combat (well Asmel is anyways).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:32:29 am by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6