Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Holy mother of science...  (Read 19942 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Holy mother of science...
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 01:11:35 pm »

Any updates on this? Is Kivish still alive? Is the fort intact? Is his mother okay?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:16:28 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

This is awesome.  This baby will go down in history forever, should you manage to keep his mother from ripping him apart.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 01:33:56 pm »

I love the stories that come out of Dwarf Fortress.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 01:40:02 pm »

Stuff like this makes me wonder about which is more awesome: the game or the forums?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

Any updates on this? Is Kivish still alive? Is the fort intact? Is his mother okay?
Kivish has more or less done nothing much except crawl about and get stung by bees (he loves idling by the hives for some reason).
To answer ii) Yes
iii) The fort's got an all new anti-necrosiege defense (note: spinning blades), there's enough alcohol and food of all varieties to last a few months (if not years) and the military is still healthy, so it won't be dying any time soon.
The only way I could see it falling or getting crippled is if a necromancer made it inside the new raven stockpile, which was moved underground.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
iv) Asmel could probably survive getting her head ripped off (well she's already survived getting shot in the head), so the likelihood of injury coming to her is very low, and that's only if she wanders outside her Grand Bedroom.

This is awesome.  This baby will go down in history forever, should you manage to keep his mother from ripping him apart.
she so wuvvin' of her cub  :'(

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:38 pm »

What a dwarfy idea to store the necromancer in the refuse pile! This certainly sets up for a fun situation. I mean, can't tantruming dwarfs pull random levers? Also I'm glad Kivish is okay, for he is the grand jewel of Science. Protect him at all costs.AT ALL COSTS.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »

What a dwarfy idea to store the necromancer in the refuse pile! This certainly sets up for a fun situation. I mean, can't tantruming dwarfs pull random levers? Also I'm glad Kivish is okay, for he is the grand jewel of Science. Protect him at all costs.AT ALL COSTS.
Even if some gremlin made it to the levers, there's only a 1/27 chance of it choosing the lever that sits alone in that corner... It's still a chance though. It's of my personal opinion that a fort should never be safe, that it should always be just one unhappy noble away from total annihilation.

I'm sure Kivish will be safe.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:10 pm »

002-01? Are your dwarfs just a bunch of bureaucratic numbers? :o

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

the stories i've read this past month of dwarf fortress brings tears to my horror struck soul... why if !!SCIENCE!! were the true principle of humanity we would all probably be.... either dead by making Mars crush into the earth as result of super !!SCIENCE!! or we would surf the universe on sock shaped star ships....

would love to see a were breeding program made

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »

There is always the possibility of creature's born from were creatures not being cursed until they mature. That's why this is the pinnacle of !!SCIENCE!!. There is also the possibility that babies cannot be were-creatures, so you may want to lock Kivish up his first full moon as a child.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 03:07:46 pm »

There is always the possibility of creature's born from were creatures not being cursed until they mature. That's why this is the pinnacle of !!SCIENCE!!. There is also the possibility that babies cannot be were-creatures, so you may want to lock Kivish up his first full moon as a child.

Do we know if kids can turn? Or do they have to be adults?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »

Do we know if kids can turn? Or do they have to be adults?
If I remember correctly there have been instances of Child-were beasts, but I have never heard of a baby were-beast.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »

002-01? Are your dwarfs just a bunch of bureaucratic numbers? :o

The dad had a nickname, so I think it's only bioweapons that have numbers for names. He said she was the first were-civet he had, so she is probably the first instance of the second variety of werecreature on the map.
Hence "W.C. 002-01".
So he would be "W.C. 002-XX" (last number unknown) if he weren't so unique.

It will be interesting seeing how he grows up. Definitely make them the ruling family of the fort!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's... Exactly correct. Except it's not really bio-weapons here, just anything super natural. For practical reasons. Don't want two different were-creatures in the same room together.

If I remember correctly there have been instances of Child-were beasts, but I have never heard of a baby were-beast.
I could try to infect some other babies with civetism to see if babies can become were-beasts - if it's necessary to furthering the cause of science.
Is it necessary?

Oh and an update on Kivish, you think a Dwarven baby can take on a severed zombie elf head?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 05:36:09 pm »

Better living through !!SCIENCE!!.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6