Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Holy mother of science...  (Read 19924 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy mother of science...
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2012, 06:49:07 am »

100% were-fortresses are possible? That's a good question to have an answer to.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2012, 07:36:34 am »

Wow... this is awesome! You better train up Kivish good!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2012, 09:27:35 am »

Wow... this is awesome! You better train up Kivish good!

Make him (?) into a legendary everything military dorf.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:56 am »

As I understand it, if every single dwarf is a were-creature, you'll lose when a full moon comes because you won't have any actual dwarves left after they transform.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:40 am »

So lock up a vampire for the full moon. Then you have very strong army once a month inside a fort that will Never die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:06 am »

As I understand it, if every single dwarf is a were-creature, you'll lose when a full moon comes because you won't have any actual dwarves left after they transform.
No I just tested it, the civets still anchor you in the game! I guess it's the same reason why if you kill a were-creature during the full moon it's still credited as a humanoid kill. A 100% were-creature fort doesn't die when the full moon comes.

So lock up a vampire for the full moon. Then you have very strong army once a month inside a fort that will Never die.
And here I am wishing I didn't give everyone military training D:

As for Kivish's training, I got some stuff in mind :)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2012, 12:30:23 pm »

Toady actually addressed this specific possibility in DF Talk#14:
Toady:   But if your fortress can degenerate into werewolves I guess that's an added feature that's new. I guess if you get your whole fortress converted it won't be a problem, because everyone will turn into a fortress at the full moon, and then they'll just run around; they don't bite each other, that was a decision we made, it could go either way but right now it's intentionally coded that they don't hurt their own type of critter. If you have a werelizard and a werechameleon or something then all bets are off, or if you have a weremaggot and a wereantlion or something, all bets are off. But if you have just a bunch of weregoats, and they're all in the same fortress, then it'll just happen that the full moon hits and you lose two days of work and then people have to wander back to wherever their jobs were.
I mean, it's good for ... you kind of want to get sieged on the full moon, then, because they're very effective, biting and gnawing on people. Werewolves are pretty hard and the material weaknesses help them out, because they're strong to most things; you just have to hope that the goblins don't have the proper type of weapon for your fortress. Like if you need iron to kill your weregoat fortress and all the goblins come with iron then it's going to be like a lightsaber duel with only one person coming to the fight with a lightsaber, and that's no fun. I was having a little fight with a werewolf and hit it with the flat of the sword but it was the right type of sword and it shattered the bone, it just kind of busted it apart into little fragments, so it's dangerous if they're using the right type of material. There'll be some weird things, people will definitely be able to run a werewolf fortress. I guess the one issue is - right now, I might change this, having just thought of it - if everyone in your fortress is a werewolf then during that full moon you'll register as having no living dwarves because they're all against you, crazed at that time, as if they were berserk ...
Capntastic:   Then you'd lose?
Toady:   ... and then you'd lose. So I just need to put in a little thing that says they still count as alive if they're just temporarily transformed ... Let me write that in my little file ... 'Temporary transformations should not count against dwarf total for losing the game', there we go. Now that won't be a problem and people will be able to have their full werewolf fortresses. You could even have a segregated fortress based on the weregoats and there werelizards, because they'd kill each other ... Then you could play your underworld war of the lycanthropes underneath your fortress, have a big floodgate between the two fortresses, and release them on each other during the full moon. But you know, it should be cool.

So the real challenge isn't to get a were-fortress, it's to get a double were-fortress.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »

everyone will turn into a fortress at the full moon, and then they'll just run around

:o
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:58 pm »

Wereforts?
I wonder if they get Mini Balistae...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2012, 01:26:17 am »

Once I was at Adventure mode and Drinked vampire blood. Then a husking mist caught up to me(I was trying to flee from it...tought it would kill me)
After that I got a Husked Vampire Kobold(From Kobold Camp...mostly vanilla stuff) that was too damn fucking strong.

Sadly that was in Adventure mode...Wish one could do the same thing in Fortress mode XD

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »

Actually, there may be a way to get a fully husked fortress (burrowing everyone outside in a husk cloud) but I think you'd lose.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:26 pm »

Actually, there may be a way to get a fully husked fortress (burrowing everyone outside in a husk cloud) but I think you'd lose.
But you could keep one or two sane, isolated dwarves to keep the fortress up and running, and have the rest be husks.  Then you'd win.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]