Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Holy mother of science...  (Read 19925 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy mother of science...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »

I guess they were separated on purpose, so she does not kill him before he has been scienced.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Babys can move on their own. Thats what the "seeking infant" job after birth is for...they tend to wander around after being born.
Really? Never seen it happen before. Usually Dwarven babies just sit around waiting for someone to pick them up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kivish walked crawled levitated all the way to Asmel's bedroom. Considering how Kivish has been wandering for a day now I thought it be best to just lock him in there. The other were-civets decided to make this job even more hell by decided to go out for a walk.

Took me two more days getting them back.
This is going to be a ridiculously tough challenge. I have to keep Kivish away from a mother who wants to love him to death :/

What was she doing when he was born?
That or she was over a slight ledge or water source when he was born and can't reach him until he crawls out or until a route is created that he can climb out through.

Ah... That would make sense. I deliberately separated both of them with a retractable bridge, and Kivish must've traveled to the burrow in Asmel's bedroom so that she could pick him up. That's quite clever really.

That's given me an idea : The running of the babes. But that's for a future date.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:48 pm »

They usually don't get very far before their mother picks them up, but I have seen lots of babies crawl into rooms or something if the mother was busy or asleep during birth.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »

I've seen it happen when they are working as well.

Dwarven babies become children after one year (when they turn 2)*.  For safety sake, you may wish to confine the child this first full moon ... just in case.  If its another werecivit, you can leave Kivish with his mother from then on, without having to worry about her killing him when she turns, since she should not be hostile to other werecivits (assuming previously posted info/!!science!! is accurate).

* Apparently I couldn't count when I wrote that. :/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:53:50 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 03:11:32 am »

Already got the plan sorted. I can't remember who, so sorry I can't give credit, but during a thread where someone asked for good ways to dispose of babies someone came up with the gem to get the parent to stand over a bridge with her child, burrowed to somewhere else.
When she falls she drops the child, and since the child won't be in the burrow - she won't be able to accept the job to pick up her baby, meaning I will be able to guard Kivish while his mother is off being crazy.
Who says no good comes from !!SCIENCE!!?

Sadly when I tried it in game it didn't work :(.

So it's back to the old standby of using a suitable solvent (i.e. water) to separate mother from baby. Probably the easiest way is to drop mum into a pool (5-6 deep), let mum climb out, then lock door to pool room. After the full moon, let mum back in and drain the pool (to be classy, have mum operate a screw pump to empty the pool) so mum can reclaim the infant. The idea of using !!science!! to keep infants alive is weird, but I guess that !!science!! is ultimately beyond morality.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 03:18:02 am »

Fortressworld: Rise of the Civets

If you got that, you get a cookie.

Seriously, this kid, if he survives babyhood, needs to be treated better than a king.  Even if he turns out normal ( was the mom pregnant before she got infected?  In that case, he's more like Blade ) lock him in a room with every eligible female in the fort until he gets married and has kids.

The Claspedarmor bloodline MUST BE PRESERVED. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 05:31:48 am »

Awwww yeah. Although it would be awkward for the baby's friends when he's a teen dwarf. "Dude, why's your mom being locked up/locked outside/whatever Loud Whispers does with were-civets?" "It's just that time of the month again." "...Duuuuuuuuuuude!!"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 07:34:38 am »

The idea of using !!science!! to keep infants alive is weird, but I guess that !!science!! is ultimately beyond morality.
Preserving infant life is considered immoral? Oh, how I love Bay12!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 09:19:50 am »

Awwww yeah. Although it would be awkward for the baby's friends when he's a teen dwarf. "Dude, why's your mom being locked up/locked outside/whatever Loud Whispers does with were-civets?" "It's just that time of the month again." "...Duuuuuuuuuuude!!"
Oh by all means it'll probably happen.
But taunting the son of a morningstar wielding mother Dwarf that's exempt from the law once a month is not a good way to promote your lifespan.

The idea of using !!science!! to keep infants alive is weird, but I guess that !!science!! is ultimately beyond morality.
Preserving infant life is considered immoral? Oh, how I love Bay12!
It's using the more volatile form of science to keep things ali...

Alive.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 11:18:12 am »

ptw. Hurray for were-civet dynasty!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »

Turns out full moon's at the 23rd. The more you know.

Anyways it's all good, Kivish was safe before then and should be safe now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that's about it so far. The next update'll probably be on Kivish's 1st birthday unless something interesting happens.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:53 pm »

Kivish: Mommy, what were those noises last night?
Asmel: Don't worry about that, baby. Mommy was just taking care of something. Shouldn't you be in bed?
Kivish: I'm scared of the bogeymen in the cabinets.
Asmel: Don't worry about that; there's nothing in those cabinets half as scary as Mommy. And if they try to mess with you, I'LL EAT THEIR HEARTS!
Kivish: YAAAAAAAY!
Asmel: Now go back to bed, pumpkin.
Kivish: Okay, mommy!
Bogeyman: What the hell is wrong with this fort?
Bogeyman: Forget this; I'm go back to lurking in the marketplace at night.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:59:03 pm by Ubiq »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »

So Kivish is not a were-civet himself? I was hoping the curse could be passed on.
Hrmm, why not try to make the other were-civets marry between themselves or with the common dwarfs to see if a combination can give a way for a night creature breeding program?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 02:25:00 am »

The last time one of my dwarves got a werecurse, I noticed that the lunar cycle was more like 26 days rather than the full 28. I don't know if this is the same across all worlds, or subject to variety.

It's probably worth being careful, just in case.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:41 am »

The last time one of my dwarves got a werecurse, I noticed that the lunar cycle was more like 26 days rather than the full 28. I don't know if this is the same across all worlds, or subject to variety.

It's probably worth being careful, just in case.

It ended at the 25th on this one. It could be that it changes monthly... In which case it is probably worth separating them earlier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6