Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Shipwreck embark  (Read 7420 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck embark
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:09 am »

Embark on site with a bunch of random crap of your choice and then abbandon your embark immediately and then reclaim your embark with nothing at all for item scatter.

Find the gear you need to survive instead of starting with it neatly packed on a wagon.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:00 am »

Embark on a beech with lots of wood, metal, pots, etc. Then build a ship (wood, metal, rope - be creative) in the waves with pieces missing (simulating a wreck), or just collapse parts of it or all of it into the sea for added roleplaying, before abandoning to scatter your equipment. If you abandon with living dwarves do they remain on site now with the recent versions? You might want to drown or otherwise kill your first 7 so when you embark you have to 'bury' those that were washed ashore face-down, so to speak.
After all, having an actual sunken or wrecked ship when you're shipwrecked is all part of the experience.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:50 am »

Embark on site with a bunch of random crap of your choice and then abbandon your embark immediately and then reclaim your embark with nothing at all for item scatter.

Find the gear you need to survive instead of starting with it neatly packed on a wagon.

And even possibly lose some of it in the ocean waves! I like it!
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

TallAsAHouseDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:06 am »

Bring one cat as the ship's cat.
This is a must, you could bring one male and one female as to start a meat and/or leather production.

I've tried catfarming as an experiment put the dwarves on pure cat meat diet and it didn't go too well. The cats multiply often, you don't get much meat from the kittens and you have to slaughter them right away before they adopt someone. So, unless you are ready to have a couple of legendary butchers and an enormous pack of cats in the fortress to actually feed everybody...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 07:34:40 am »

Pots have a tendency to float. Seriously, turn one up side down and set it in water. If it's not imbalanced enough to flip, it will float under it's own buoyancy.

If you really want to simulate a ship wreck, embark with a the stuff you want then abandon. Then reclaim. This way the stuff is all scattered across the island and you can treat the previous dwarves as being the left overs of a previous shipwreck who didn't manage to survive.

Plus you can then use all the points to spend on wholly inappropriate skills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 11:12:22 am »

True...No metal items, then. Probably no rock items, either. So, pretty much just wood and stuff you can carry around in wood. And goats.
Or ducks. What else floats in water?
Witches.
So if Urist is lighter than a duck...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:17 pm »

True...No metal items, then. Probably no rock items, either. So, pretty much just wood and stuff you can carry around in wood. And goats.
Small rocks. :D
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42:24 pm »

Small rocks. :D
Churches. You cant bring a church with you though. At least the island I posted has a volcano for a shrine to Armok.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

Too bad we don't have Pumice.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »

Will you get any migrant waves after the first two hardcoded ones if you're stranded on the island? I'm just thinking - maybe the two sets of migrants were some passengers that got washed away but found their way back.

If you use the world gen I provided, you don't even get the hardcoded ones.

I just did, using your world (good one, by the way). Water all the way 'round and they just appeared on a random slope on the volcano, out of thin air. Ruined my immersion entirely. I don't mind, as I can already see this challenge will quickly become repetitive... unless I fiddle with the worldgen to make the island evil. Muhoohahahaha. Then I can pretend this is "Lost: Dwarf Fortress Edition". Where did these new people come from? Another boat crash? Another dimension? Are they alive or...? What's that noise?? OH MY ARMOK IT'S COMI--!!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 10:44:56 pm »

Any mods about that allow you to use Driftwood?

It would seem to be natural resource to exploit. I am assuming that is a sort of  bug that you cannot use it vanilla.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »

It would seem to be natural resource to exploit. I am assuming that is a sort of  bug that you cannot use it vanilla.
You can sleep on it.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 01:38:05 am »

~Snip~ and they just appeared on a random slope on the volcano, out of thin air. ~Snip~

Dafuq? I made a fort on that map the day the thread came out, and it's almost year 3, no migrants, no caravan.

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

~Snip~ and they just appeared on a random slope on the volcano, out of thin air. ~Snip~

Dafuq? I made a fort on that map the day the thread came out, and it's almost year 3, no migrants, no caravan.

Well heck, then what am I doing wrong? I started again on my now-evil island and they still just appeared on the slopes, with animals and everything (kind of inconvenient, the animals). I even increased the size of the embark square to 8x7, to make absolutely sure there was only water all around. I'm not using any mods.

*SUDDEN FLASH* Oh wait, wait... Maybe... I set the starting year to 5 instead of 0, because I couldn't work out a realistic scenario in my head where a ship was sailing around in year 0 (yeah, I'm like that). You had year 0 set in the download, am I right? Could that be the reason? Why would that be the reason? Really, that's the only thing I can think of trying. I'll give it a go tomorrow and update, unless someone just knows the answer.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »

That's just weird. are you playing the latest version unmodded?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4