Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Shipwreck embark  (Read 7432 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck embark
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

True...No metal items, then. Probably no rock items, either. So, pretty much just wood and stuff you can carry around in wood. And goats.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:59 pm »

True...No metal items, then. Probably no rock items, either. So, pretty much just wood and stuff you can carry around in wood. And goats.
Or ducks. What else floats in water?
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »

Geese, most birds actually, wood, bone, hollow stuff, pumice, balloons, people, life jackets, styrofoam, cotton candy, some plastic...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 06:47:27 pm »

I think an axe is reasonable to start with, but not a pickaxe (although it's not my decision). Also a reasonable stat build that fits the background would be:

Lookout
10 observer (from being up on the crow's nest for many long hours)
7 Swimmer

Average Seaman
8 Fisherdwarf
8 Fish Cleaner
6 Fish Dissector
8 Swimmer

Below Average Seaman
6 Fisherdwarf
6 Swimmer

Captain
10 Swordsdwarf (He's been in hundreds of cutlass battles)
7 Leader
7 Teacher
6 Swimmer

Navigator
8 Record Keeper
8 Observer
6 Swimmer

Canon Operator
7 Mechanic
6 Siege Engineer
7 Siege Operator
6 Swimmer

Peasant Boy Who Stowed Away on the Ship
6 Leatherworker
6 Woodcarver
7 Grower
6 Cook
6 Beekeeper

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

The pick could always be a repurposed adze.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:56 pm »

How about something like:

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Plenty of customization--say, four soldiers, two marines, and a captain for a warship, or five merchants and two cabin-boys for a merchant ship.

The pick could always be a repurposed adze.
Where do the dwarves get the adze?
Sig

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »

Where do the dwarves get the adze?

Adzes were a common tool on ships as they used them to shape and dress planks to repair decks with. Dwarves could also rig up a pick from crowbars or caulking tools.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »

Ah. About all I'm familiar with adzes being is "A tool used by Polynesians, which was important because it...uh...what did it do?"
Sig

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:07 pm »

Ah. About all I'm familiar with adzes being is "A tool used by Polynesians, which was important because it...uh...what did it do?"
Carving stone and shaping planks.

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 09:44:37 pm »

Hello,

historically  old boats don't have metal.   metal as hardware is added when metal is discovered, and not in form of "screws/nails".  appears in rope based accessory.  I would suggest a few brass/bronzes  'ship bells and steering wheels' bronze the most. rest is probably equivilant to one or two bars of iron/copper.

Materials,  wood, Cloth is used (sails), sailors tend to wear same kind of clothing... usually cotton or canvas.

tools are common, adze/axe, hammers, saw, pails weapons: clubs, pikes, harpoons, and knives

they even have special "cooking plate" for hot foods. so a real pot or two is sensible. and uses between 1 to 2 stone blocks.

food: with sea faring, they look at food spoilage, average voyage in ancient time is about two to four weeks. so grains keeps better than flour, so grains will be favored over flour, wine is favored (holds well, and has "vitamins" not 100%). I am aware they  take fewest in meat, (spoils the fastest), and they do occasional fishing. They do take thousands gallons (or liters) of water.

animals:  varies, depending on original ship mission; usually have dogs (least or fewest), cats (probably 1 or 2), and lots of rats. is occasional added staple, chickens (behaves well in cages adn use up grains fast).

Hope that information is helpful in your planning.

(for sailors profession),  usually common for knife fighters, pole users, doubt on swimmers, usually have doctors (and learns art fast), cooks.  Ship do stop by some spots once in a while to forage.

R

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »

hello,

the name of chopping tool is based on the sharp edge versus the handle.
adze is "horizontal".  axe is vertical.

naval type adze's tip is curved, in order to make it multi functional, and can serve as drag plane.

R

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53:48 pm »

What do you guys think about this Style of embark when it comes to mods? I imagine having one for the underhive mod would be cool. But also, having muskets modded in is a must.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »

Hello,
historically  old boats don't have metal.   metal as hardware is added when metal is discovered, and not in form of "screws/nails".  appears in rope based accessory.  I would suggest a few brass/bronzes  'ship bells and steering wheels' bronze the most. rest is probably equivilant to one or two bars of iron/copper.
Problem is, metal sinks.

Materials,  wood, Cloth is used (sails), sailors tend to wear same kind of clothing... usually cotton or canvas.

tools are common, adze/axe, hammers, saw, pails weapons: clubs, pikes, harpoons, and knives

they even have special "cooking plate" for hot foods. so a real pot or two is sensible. and uses between 1 to 2 stone blocks.
Unless this stuff sinks.

food: with sea faring, they look at food spoilage, average voyage in ancient time is about two to four weeks. so grains keeps better than flour, so grains will be favored over flour, wine is favored (holds well, and has "vitamins" not 100%). I am aware they  take fewest in meat, (spoils the fastest), and they do occasional fishing. They do take thousands gallons (or liters) of water.
Couldn't/Didn't they salt meat?

animals:  varies, depending on original ship mission; usually have dogs (least or fewest), cats (probably 1 or 2), and lots of rats. is occasional added staple, chickens (behaves well in cages adn use up grains fast).
Also something to simulate the semi-tame animals one would expect to find on an island but which won't spawn, like Robinson Crusoe's goats.

(for sailors profession),  usually common for knife fighters, pole users, doubt on swimmers, usually have doctors (and learns art fast), cooks.  Ship do stop by some spots once in a while to forage.
Swimming is mostly to justify survival, knives can't be used by dwarves (or at least aren't), pther stuff makes sense.

What do you guys think about this Style of embark when it comes to mods? I imagine having one for the underhive mod would be cool. But also, having muskets modded in is a must.
Hm...Well, getting the right island will be tough.
Sig

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »

hello,

didn't robin cruscoe have pots?

sinking is different to shipwrecked. shipwreck means slammed against land mass. 

but salvage would be real limited depending on luck of finding them intact on a broken ship.

R

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:37 am »

Or ducks. What else floats in water?
Witches.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4