Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: City of Steam  (Read 4377 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
City of Steam
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »

I found out about this game yesterday, and while I'm not really comfortable starting new topics here, our lack of a thread seemed disturbing enough to warrant me doing this.

City of Steam is/will be a Free to Play MMORPG in a industrial setting with steampunk, standard fantasy, etc. influences. and a focus on integrating the smaller-scale Diablo-style multiplayer-enabled RPG elements with the large shared world of the MMO. It runs on the Unity Engine, so a browser with the Unity plugin is all that is needed to run it, yet the graphical quality looks superb from what I've seen. Acceptable to pretty impressive for a MMO in general, stunning for a browser game. They are really proud of their extensive work on compression and proceduraly generating as much as possible, fitting the game so far into 20-30 MEGABYTES of download. This is split into multiple smaller one-time downloads shared by areas with the same graphical style.

I watched TotalBiscut's video on it and really loved what I saw -- I recommend looking at that for a first impression, instead of my stumbling blabbering. He has a great time discussing gentlemanly blunderbusses and facial hair with the dev team while trying out a pre-alpha client!

The game is in semi-closed alpha testing right now. There are partners and giveaways to get a key for the testing weekends.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Steam
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:58 pm »

I like how the devs stated it's not steampunk but instead "industrial age fantasy". I thought steampunk -was- industrial age fantasy.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »

I like how the devs stated it's not steampunk but instead "industrial age fantasy". I thought steampunk -was- industrial age fantasy.

Steampunk is just overdone.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »

Steampunk is just overdone.
It's overly attempted, but rarely done well.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »

They basically restated it as "steampunk with other stuff mixed in too".

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »

From what i saw in TBs video it's Steampunk + Legions of Hell/Other fnatasy creatures.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »

I got into the Second and Third Alpha weekends. Last weekend was the second. Pretty nice stuff! The game is pretty fun. The music is excellent!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »

I'm not sure if it's some kind of incompatibility or if it's because it's Unity, but I was getting a nice ~10FPS regardless of what was going on in the last weekend they had. 10FPS in the middle of a big fight on GW2 I kind of expect. 10FPS with absolutely nothing going on in the tutorial area seems kind of iffy to me.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »

Have you tried toning down the graphics settings? They default pretty high.

CoS_Ethan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hardcore player
    • View Profile
    • City of Steam
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:33:18 am »

Hello everyone, I'm Ethan at Mechanist Games, developer for City of Steam. Thanks for launching a post on our game, we've made progress since Alpha, and I'd like to share plenty of updates with you:

First! Closed Beta Test will start on Nov. 16th (see more details via the announcement here), coupled with more content and contests;

Second! We just got a new Beta Teaser Trailer up, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out;

Third! We now have brand new Beta Collaborator Packs, if you missed the Alpha packs, this is your chance to get a bunch of awesome extras for Beta!

Lastly! As we also have some goals to reach in Closed Beta, we do need your support to make them achievable. Check out the bonus content you could get in CBT on your Steam-o-Meter (it even includes developer humiliations; we may regret our enthusiasm later…).

Ok, enough of that before this gets too long, sorry for dropping so much on your guys at once… I’m glad to hear your comments on this though, so be sure to let me know what you think, or ask those questions I’m sure are crossing your mind!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »

Just bumping this, to say that the closed beta just came out, and if you singed up to the newsletter you probably have a key by now. I have been playing for a bit, with a dwarf gunner named "Urist" :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:04 am »

Well cool, I didn't know we had a thread for this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

CoS_Ethan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hardcore player
    • View Profile
    • City of Steam
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:08 am »

Thanks for the support guys, actually we've been chock full with great updates this week, so forgive me if this seems a bit spammy:

First! Autumnwane (CBT3) is around the corner, so be sure to free you schedule on December 14th if you’re interested in joining in.

Second! City of Steam is coming on Steam Greenlight (see more details here), so please vote for us;

Third! We just got a new Closed Beta Trailer up and running, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out;

Feel free to drop me a line if any question is crossing your mind!

CoS_Ethan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hardcore player
    • View Profile
    • City of Steam
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:39 am »

Still looking for Holiday Gifts? Our Toiler might have something you might like. Also, we've prepared all Beta testers some awesome game stuff in Winter Festival, so make sure to check it out and get yours. Happy holidays and enjoy the final Closed Beta Test later today!

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »

Hmm, interesting game. Are there any recommended specs? I have a crapy comp.
Pages: [1] 2