Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Star Command (Kickstarter) - Build a spaceship, recruit crew, kick alien asses  (Read 10557 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just found this on Kickstarter and it was love at first sight: Star Command.

In essence you:
Build a spaceship. You can customise what rooms you want inside it, imagine home construction in The Sims.
Recruit your crew. They can (and will die) and you can train them up.
Explore the galaxy.
Fight alien enemies. This includes ship to ship battle and boarding actions!

Please do check out their Kickstarter page. I will let the videos speak for themselves.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:49:21 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile

Reminds me of Starflight with a bit of XCOM thrown in for good measure, which is a good thing.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

times like these makes me wish I could donate for anything.

Ohh the list of things I want to donate to but cannot. Hmmm maybe I should rob a bank. Or Bank some Rob.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:52:36 pm by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

This seems a little weird.  They ask for $20,000 to make a game and get $36,967.  Nine months later they want another $100,000 to port it?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This seems a little weird.  They ask for $20,000 to make a game and get $36,967.  Nine months later they want another $100,000 to port it?

I will admit that is weird... there technically is no reason for them to need that much money unless they were going to upgrade it

Except they didn't say they are updating it, just porting it.

So nevermind I don't want to update. It is starting to sound like a "Buy the game in disguise"-a-thon

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, but I did find a response to this issue here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

In short, they set the funding level too low and underestimated reward item shipping costs so out of $37k received, they only had $16k left for development.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

I agree, but I did find a response to this issue here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

In short, they set the funding level too low and underestimated reward item shipping costs so out of $37k received, they only had $16k left for development.

Not quite.

Music - $6,000
Attorneys, startup fees, CPA - $4000
Poster art - $2000
iPads - $1000
PAX East - $3000

Makes for a very large chunk of the 20k they asked for, even without the rewards being factored in.

My main puzzlement is the amount they're asking for.  I can't see why they'd need five times more money to port something than they did to develop it from scratch.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I backed the mobile version (and apparently I'm getting the PC version for free because of it?) but it looks like it's like BBZ was saying: they didn't get enough money from the first one to actually fund the development of the mobile version. It still looks like a cool game, though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

They're also scaling up the art and doing a whole new UI and stuff. But yeah, it is mainly a preordery thing to ensure there's enough people who want it on computer platforms to justify the time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're also scaling up the art and doing a whole new UI and stuff. But yeah, it is mainly a preordery thing to ensure there's enough people who want it on computer platforms to justify the time.

And adding at minimum 4 new alien species.

Though that is from the people who donated the money.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

The animations are adorable in some strange way, even in grisly death. The way they move so vibrantly feels reminiscent of LucasArts adventure games or something, but tiny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The animations are adorable in some strange way, even in grisly death. The way they move so vibrantly feels reminiscent of LucasArts adventure games or something, but tiny.

Really? Nothing here reminded you of Space Quest? a Sierra Adventure game

Which I will tell you... watching the Donation video... makes me kinda pine for another GOOD point and click adventure game... too bad they are dead dead dead.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:19:06 am by Neonivek »

parame

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I will admit that is weird... there technically is no reason for them to need that much money unless they were going to upgrade it

Except they didn't say they are updating it, just porting it.

So nevermind I don't want to update. It is starting to sound like a "Buy the game in disguise"-a-thon

Yes they did... On the front page of the quickstarter page, in big letters.

They are going to update the graphics (they call it : "Face melting 2.0" in a jokingly manner), they are going to hire 3 new people for the pc version, they are going to add a lot of content, including special items, rooms, species/races, the players will be able to control bigger ships with more crew (medium sized ships on android/ios and max 10 crews, and on pc large ships with even more crew members)..
They are going to build a system allowing pc players to pick up exactly where they left their save game on pc and pick up and continue on their android devices. And a few other things.

They also said in a previous posts, that including the 36k they recieved from the first kickstarter, they had taken 50k in debts for the dvpt of the game before they started the kickstarter.

This is far from a "pre-order the game here" thing, they need the money.
They certainly have some of the content done, but there is plenty to do on pc. And while they only asked for 20k on the first kickstarter and got 36k. By the end of dec 2011, they had already spent (50k in debts +36k kickstarter) 86k or so on the dvpt of that portable version, and they have probably gone far beyond 100k by now... as it was 7 months ago.

Anyways, I can't wait to get my hands on the game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:42:12 am by parame »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they are going to hire 3 new people for the pc version, they are going to add a lot of content, including special items, rooms, species/races, the players will be able to control bigger ships with more crew (medium sized ships on android/ios and max 10 crews, and on pc large ships with even more crew members)..
They are going to build a system allowing pc players to pick up exactly where they left their save game on pc and pick up and continue on their android devices. And a few other things

Sounds vague. What exactly constitutes a "bigger ship with more crew members" and even then, by what means is that the desirable conclusion?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which I will tell you... watching the Donation video... makes me kinda pine for another GOOD point and click adventure game... too bad they are dead dead dead.

Not sure how your tastes go, but I rather enjoyed the semi-recent Edna and Harvey. (I just finished Deponia, made by the same crew [I believe?] a few days ago... and that ends just as it's getting good. ><)

Before that... hrm. I can't believe The Longest Journey was released *13* years ago.

But back on subject...

This project kind of hits me the wrong way on two points:
Whether or not it's accurate or not, it feels like a continuation of the first project [where they undershot their needs] except slightly fragmented. I was kind of on the fence about this the first time but eventually declined due to various personal issues. Now, I CAN afford it, but there's no option to get the mobile version. Guess I'll just have to get it later, instead of supporting them now.
Even in single player games, in-game exclusives that are functional really bug me, regardless if I'm benefiting from them or not. But that's just my personal take on things.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2 3