Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ratmen and other undeground men  (Read 2401 times)

Trance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ratmen and other undeground men
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »

Do these guys enter and exit the cavern maps? If I wipe out one of their camps, will I not get anymore? Or will more arrive from off the map
at a later date?

Thanks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: ratmen and other undeground men
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:53:14 pm »

When they're gone they're gone

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:44 pm »

Do these guys enter and exit the cavern maps? If I wipe out one of their camps, will I not get anymore? Or will more arrive from off the map
at a later date?

Thanks.
However, they can be very useful for the nastier things that show up, mainly the FBs and GCS, but anything that shows up really. They'll give you the time to mount a defense/seal-off-the-cavern-and-leave-them-to-their-doom. Hell, In my current fort they beat off a FB entirly own their own.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:20:42 pm »

Serpent man venom is insanely deadly, even if their teeth lack penetration. Be careful around them.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

Serpent man venom is insanely deadly, even if their teeth lack penetration. Be careful around them.
However, as armed humanoids, they don't bite as often as they should.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:00:30 pm »

I raided a fishman camp and got something called a "Blowgun". Dont know if its better than a bow or crossbow but raiding those camps do give some neat trinkets
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »

Blowguns are funny. Especially if your bowyer goes moody and makes an artifact blowgun. Good luck finding ammo.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »

sory if I derail the thread

we should test blowguns with bows and crossbows who ever does it pm the results.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »

I've got spare time. I'll do the science.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

I raided a fishman camp and got something called a "Blowgun". Dont know if its better than a bow or crossbow but raiding those camps do give some neat trinkets
Blowguns, bows and crossbows all have the same [SHOOT_MAXVEL] so their missiles all come out flying at the same speed.
When it comes to ammunition however, blowdarts have 50% of the contact area of an arrow or bolt and so are more likely to penetrate soft armours and lodge in wounds than the other ammunition types of the same material.
That said, blowdarts also have 4000% less penetration depth than an arrow or bolt, so if they do hit wounds, they're not as likely to outright kill anything. This coupled with darts never being made out of metal means that it'll be Aztecs vs Leopard tanks if ever faced with a fully armoured steel Dwarf.
And considering how you'll only ever find darts from subterranean civs, you'll have a limited number of darts to use for the entire existence of your fort. You'd have to ration ammunition usage carefully.
There is however one saving grace for darts.
They're poisoned. It's rare to find a cave civ that hasn't poisoned their darts. Sometimes it can be bumblebee venom, to the more potent helmet snake venom or even GCS venom. If you can seize a cache of the stuff and store it in a cool dry place for a Fortress emergency, you can absolutely wreak havoc with creatures like goblins... Or cave dwellers.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

I'm back from some poor excuse for testing.
I only did three tests, because I'm lazy.
Basically, two fighters skilled in both archery and their chosen weapon skill, with full sheep wool clothing and iron weapons and ammo.
Two out of three tests, the blowgunner shot down the bowyer. The other one, bowyer shot out blowgunner.
So, yeah, what Whispers said.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 04:11:30 pm »

thanks
maybe I'll go back to that fort in adventure and snag a blowgun and darts (and maybe the sevral full sets of addy armore and wepons)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »

the cave people can be deadly! i had a cave swallow spearman who killed a fire spitting leech FB!
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:22 am »

Have you found a way for dwarves to apply venom yet? Getting Blowguns/blowdarts is as easy as changing your entity entry but dat venom.... It opens up all kinds of possibilities. Farm helmet snake and gcs venom anyone?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:16 am »

Have you found a way for dwarves to apply venom yet? Getting Blowguns/blowdarts is as easy as changing your entity entry but dat venom.... It opens up all kinds of possibilities. Farm helmet snake and gcs venom anyone?
Getting helmet snakes and spiders to fight on top of your weapon stockpile seems to work.
Pages: [1] 2